FJR Comparison and a little thought on the Connie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscar4u

Reaction score
Someone over on the New Members forum asked me for my comparison on my 2003 Connie and my FJR and also between my FJR A and my AE model. Here is my thoughts

The Connie reminded me of my Ninja I used to have, it handled like a dream in town and in and out of small places.

It was a little bottom heavy so it was rather easy to come up to a stoplight and stop and start without dropping my feet.

The gear box was like butter. Man I loved changing gears on that bike because it made me feel like a professional

My Connie was only a 1000 so at highway speeds I always felt like it needed one more gear. (We have a toll road here that I travel each day and its 85 mph posted)

I did have quite a bit of heat coming up around the gas tank and on the legs. I did have the deflectors installed, but an unscheduled trip thru the corn field on an oops curve took them away from me.

My bike had a pretty loud engine tick that I found annoying. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that.

FJR 1300A

Well, not a lot to say about the FJR, except I love it. For the weight it actually handles very well. It is a little top heavy so I have not perfected the stop and go yet.

I don’t seem to have any heat problems, even through the summer here in Texas.

Transmission is a little clunky.

I am surprised but 5 speeds suits this bike fine for me, some people I hear say they wished it had a 6th gear like the Concours.

Ugh…. I absolutely hate the seat and am in the market for a new one. I don’t like the idea of giving up my seat so I am not sure if I will do a Russell. It any one lives around North Austin /Georgetown area and has an aftermarket seat I would love to try it.

FJR1300AE

Ok let me set some opinions to rest on this bike… Don’t knock it until you tried it. I was a little skeptical at first but after a 1 hour test drive I really liked it. It might not be for everyone just as some people like manual cars v/s automatic.

It was not difficult to ride and it switches gears very smooth. There were no problems maneuvering around slow speed and i have never had to drag the rear brake as I have seen some people mention.

The only down side is this:

Let’s say you’re in a parking lot and your bike is facing up hill. There are a couple of nice ladies standing close by (yah know…good looking ladies) and they are kind of admiring you and this sweet looking bike you have.

When you take off (because your bike is pointing uphill) the computer controlled clutch it kinda makes it sound like you don’t know how to drive and are letting the clutch slip ALOT.

Of course I found a Solution: If any pretty girls are standing around.........Take off down hill

Over all I have enjoyed the AE and would not be objected to buying another one. I really like being able to come to a stop light and leave it in 1st and let both hands rest, then if the light changes a little faster than expected then just hit the gas and go. No more oops starts.

Thanks

Big D

Your assessment of the 1300 A is right on, especially about the seat, it is by far the most uncomfortable seat ever.

I do think you will enjoy an after market seat. Doing without a seat for a while is no fun, however the reward will be worth it.

Going from a '01 C10 to the '05 1st Gen FJR was the difference between night and day to me.

This time I'm going from a 1st Gen C14 to a '13 FJR when it shows up next month.

I too went from an 04 Connie to an 05 FJR. I gotta be honest, for the first 3 months I couldn't get comfortable with the ergos on the FJR. It just didn't fit me as well as my C-10. In fairness, the connie is seriously top heavy (7.5 gallons of gas will do that to a bike). But, It rode well, loved the twisties and there was a 7th gear mod available. The connie user group is huge and the depth of knowledge is fantastic. No offense intended, the connie was made for 25 years with only one major upgrade during that period. 15 years from now I'd pay to join an FJR Riders Group that prints out a compendium of acquired knowledge.

After riding an 08 FJR, I decided to buy a second Gen1, that's how much I like the ride. Fuel injection on a bike also takes some time to appreciate. When your used to the antiquated qualities of carburators, it's tough getting proficient with fuel injection. Once you get it, you'll never go back to a carbed bike.

My only gripe, I'd like to see the FJR with a 6th gear. An overdrive for long stretches of seemingly unending blacktop would be welcomed by me.

That's my $.02

Baz

Interesting. My Connie was WAY more top heavy than the FJR. And I MUCH prefer the FJR's seat to the Connie's. And yes, the Connie threw out a LOT more heat than any of my 1st Gen FJRs.

And the FJR don't need no stinking 6th gear!

Connie was a great bike when I had it, but since getting the FJR I'll never look back.

Have had several C10 Connies, nice bike, okay finish, fairing quality is only fair, somewhat flimsy around the dash, overall no comparison to the FJR. Also top heavy with a big fuel capacity, 7.5 gal IIRC.

For seats I am really happy with my Sargent, excellent fit and finish, they use their own seat base so no needing to send off yours, just order it and wait. Had them do piping in maroon that perfectly matched my Black Cherry. Took a couple thousand miles to break in but now all-day comfy.

Funny...I tried someone's Sergeant seat and didn't like it. I don't have a problem with the FJRs seat...But then I'm not one of those tender cry babies that cries just to cry.

Funny...I tried someone's Sergeant seat and didn't like it. I don't have a problem with the FJRs seat...But then I'm not one of those tender cry babies that cries just to cry.
Says who?? Your fuking cryin' ass kept me awake for a week during the samitch run ya freakin pussy.

Whaaaaaaaaaa I miss my home.. Bo hoo I miss my anal vibrator.. Add to that your "You old fukers never sleep" comment at Sac Mikes that morning?

I tell ya, I wuz about ready to shoot yer cryin ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
For seats I am really happy with my Sargent, excellent fit and finish, they use their own seat base so no needing to send off yours, just order it and wait. Had them do piping in maroon that perfectly matched my Black Cherry. Took a couple thousand miles to break in but now all-day comfy.
+1 on the Sargent. Then you have the stock pans free to ship to Russell.

Yea. I am thinking hard about the sargent seat. I think it's called the world seat or something like that.

I Agree with Skooter. I don't need a 6th gear.

Hmmm. I am 6'2 and 245lbs......the connie seemed to be a little bottom heavy to me. Maybe I never filled it up with all that gas. :)

Hell yes the connie was top heavy. And i can't think of any stock seat that was comfortable for more than 100 miles. I thought the Gen1 seat was pretty bad. Very happy with the RDL that i got through the group buy two years ago.

Very interesting writeup and I thank you for it.
smile.png

In this recent shootout: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150390-sport-touring-shootout/ ...the reviewers placed the C14 at the sporty end, the Hondacouch at the cushy touring end and the FJR square in the middle.

Of course test-riding a bike is not the same as actually owning one. So my experience on an FJR -A, FJR-AE and C14 is not as valid as yours but I found the Kawa a handful to turn unless the speed was really up. It did shift well. There wasn't much difference for me between the rides (excluding the shifting) on the two FJRs at all but I liked the handling much better than the C14, it felt lighter and I had no fear at all of stop/starts and slow turns. But I rode a friend's broken-in AE and damn I liked that so much I then went and tracked one down (an '09) and bought it. I like it a lot, and you're right, you need to learn how that assisted-clutch thing engages. Yamaha made it that way (to engage slowly if used in the right way) so that it was less likely for me to punch the bike through the back of my garage or into the car in front at a stop, but yes in certain situations it doesn't act exactly the way I'd want. But I can live with it in those few situations because the rest of the time its a joy that takes no thought or hunting for the gear at all.

As for seats, the Corbin I just got is my third seat on the '09 FJR and I'm still looking for the perfect fit. Right now I'm waiting for warm weather to do a long ride on the Corbin to see if it's that much better. I'll let you know.

Granger, Let me know how that corbin does. I have been riding here almost everyday but my back side is starting to hurt. I am looking for a gen 2 stock seat, if any one has one hit me up and i may buy it. Thanks

A note about stock seat. The stock seat on gen.II put pressure on inside of my legs, sliding forward after an hour or so. I had a pocket cut in foam by an upholsterer and all is well. I transfered that seat over to my new gen.III

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Granger, Let me know how that corbin does. I have been riding here almost everyday but my back side is starting to hurt. I am looking for a gen 2 stock seat, if any one has one hit me up and i may buy it. Thanks
PM sent, I have a stock gen2 seat.

Bill

Geez, have any of you sat on a CBR1000RR or an R6? The stock FJR seat is fine for me. I'm not along distance guy, but I've done several 700 mile days on the stock seat, and if you stand on the pegs for a mile once every hour or so, it's just fine. Foam density could be just a tad firmer, but overall, it's pretty good.

Current sportbike seats feel like a piece of granite with some vinyl wrapped around it.

author="HotRodZilla" Funny...I tried someone's Sergeant seat and didn't like it. I don't have a problem with the FJRs seat...But then I'm not one of those tender cry babies that cries just to cry.
author="Bustanut joker"Says who?? Your fuking cryin' ass kept me awake for a week during the samitch run ya freakin pussy.

Whaaaaaaaaaa I miss my home.. Bo hoo I miss my anal vibrator.. Add to that your "You old fukers never sleep" comment at Sac Mikes that morning?

I tell ya, I wuz about ready to shoot yer cryin ass.
Gawd your a dumbass. You never slept in the same room as me. That was Don bitching about missing Skooter that had your panties in a knot.

I did however comment about how you old fuks go to bed at 8:00 and get up at 0430. Exactly WTF is going on at 0430 that you need to be awake? I work graves and gotta tell you 11:00 at night is way better that 0430 in the frigging morning.