FJR comparison to Kawi Concours 14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried the Concour before purchasing the FJR? I know some the mags reviews favor the Kawi. I know the Concour has a bigger engine but I thought that was about it.

Oh man are you lucky it's not friday!

Go do a search in google.

Type in "Concours 14 site:fjrforum.com" and start reading.

I did just that. I am a connie guy from my days on the connie 1000. The 2 bikes are both good steeds, But the small fuel tank and the excessive heat on the right foot were show stoppers. It was very uncomfortable to me. Found the front end to be much heavier and lathargic feeling then the FJR. Didnt like the kitpass system either. been reading alot of negatives about it. The other reason for getting the FJR over the connie 14,, I found a very slightly used 2005 for half whan the connie 14 goes for.

Pat, I had a similar question about a month or so ago. Scroll back a few pages and you should find some good info and links to reviews and comparisons.

Keith

A friend of mine went from the FJR to the C14 and now after to much heat,final drive issues and engine problems it is living back at the dealer and he is going back to the FJR.

A friend of mine went from the FJR to the C14 and now after to much heat,final drive issues and engine problems it is living back at the dealer and he is going back to the FJR.
Oh man - you gotta out this traitor who is crawling back with his tail between his legs! :D

Final drive issues and engine problems? Got any more info on what happened? I wasn't aware of problems in those areas.

Is this the C14 that's sitting at Beaverton Honda-Yamaha?? I was told that that guy also traded his '08 C14 purchased last September for an '08 FJR (AE) this past April because of "a few complaints". (Didn't take that guy long, did it?)

I was riding a Ducati 749. Looked at the Honda ST. the Kawi 14, beemer and FJR.

Honda looked like an oversized scooter.

The Kawi was big and bulky and also heard about the heat.

The Beemer was way out of my price range.

The FJR fit perfectly, take the bags off and hit the corners, very impressive.

Oh man - you gotta out this traitor who is crawling back with his tail between his legs! :D

Final drive issues and engine problems? Got any more info on what happened? I wasn't aware of problems in those areas.
The story I got was after returning from the super bike races the final drive was way hot and leaking and there were expensive engine noises. It was left at the dealer and he said it probably would not be coming home.

After sitting on the Concours 14 at the rally in West Va. last summer, didn't even test ride it. Seat hieght way high, wide, foot peg to bum seemed tight, could hardly get it off side stand and balance by tip toes - did not fit at all.

Sold my 1997 Concours (very reliable, long in tooth technology). Looked at ST1300 - everyone wanted too much $$$, example: a "Power Honda" dealer wanted more for a new old stock 1997 (whoops read 2007) than my local Yamaha dealer for new 2008 FJR. C14 also more $$$.

Bought a 2006 FJR with only 10,000 km. So far - fairing not as good in terms of rider protection from the elements, but higher air flow with screen down makes FJR better on hot days. FJR suspension wwaaayy better feels like on rails vs old Concours. Bags about the same, FJR mirrors not as good. Gas mileage for 1,200 km is equivalent. FJR motor torque and hp WWAAYY better. FJR heat problem I kept hearing about is BS, cooler than Concours, just like the Concours rep for vibration is also BS.

FJR much more soffisticated bike and I'm really happy so far - way bigger smile :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Handling, power, ergos...all that stuff is meaningless to me, because the C-14 is just plain butt ugly.

Sat on one , seemed OK..but I'd have to get real drunk to look at it, and then I would never get to ride it , because I was drunk. Just like an ugly woman........

KM

Current C14 owner, former 2005 FJR owner.

If you like the FJR better go ahead and buy one. I had 37K trouble free miles on my FJR when I traded it.

I was really surprised how close the two bikes were to each other when I rode the C14 for the first time.

Seems like there is always someone having problems with any bike. My C14 has been totally reliable. I have almost 8K on my C14 with no problems at all. Maybe I just have good motorcycle Karama.

Reasonable comment regarding the Kawa Concours 1400: I compared a new Concours to a new FJR, and although it seemed as though the Kawasaki's saddlebags were larger and wider (which could be a plus for all the junk you could bring along), the rear profile and wind plowing profile seemed larger on the Kawasaki, and having lived with a very wide profile on a V-Strom with factory official bags at one point, I wouldn't consider it again. Its always an issue in tight maneuvering, and it affects handling at speed too.

Less reasonable comment regarding Kawasaki in general: As an older engineer who has lived through the evolution of Japanese machinery from trinket level to world class level, it is my opinion that Kawasaki hasn't gotten it right yet. Of the Japanese primary marques, I would rank Kawasaki's level of cleverness, of execution, of fit, and of finish, to be high... but lower than Honda or Yamaha on nearly everything, and lower than Suzuki on most things.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that the FJR was built to a quality point, and then priced. My sense is that the Kawasaki Concours 1400 was built to a price point, and whatever quality there is what it is. I think the Concours is a fine bike. I notice that the magazines are really chuffed over it. In one of the most recent magazine comparos, the Kawasaki came in Numero Uno. I don't put much stock in magazine reports because their evaluation algorithms never match my own.

I can see a bunch of reasons why someone would pick the Kawasaki, but I can see a bunch of reasons why its not hard to argue that the FJR is a better conceived, better executed package.

Hey - these are all great bikes. The differences might seem subtle to one person, and major to another. If everyone wanted the same thing, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

I have an 08 FJR. It's been pretty much a problem free bike in 5600 miles anyway. I bought the FJR over the Concours mainly because of the heat issues I heard of on the CC14. I don't know if it's true but I knew the FJR was okay so that was the deciding item in favor of the FJR.

The CC14 has a butter smooth transmission with a 6th speed. Shaft drive very smooth, it's a very fast bike and I am sure owners love them.

But I was worried about heat issues as it's 115 down here routinely. I didn't like the single muffler. I didn't like the way the exhaust shows below the fairing. I didn't like the cheap plastic piece on the tank. I didn't like the bags as well for design. I didn't like the color as well. It's got a smaller gas tank. It uses premium gas.

But the transmission smoothness would override some of the smaller complaints. I just couldn't take a chance with the temps here on the heating issues. Heat or not, I had to error on the side of less heat.

I don't regret the decison I made but I'm sure CC14 owners like their bikes.

I just picked up my '08 fjr last Tuesday, so only have 250 miles on it so far, but I spent a bunch of time hemming and hawing over which to go with.

I finally decided the Connie was just a bit too tall for me. That seems to me like a really small issue, but after sitting on C14s in a few dealers and then doing a short jaunt around a parking lot on an '07 that belonged to someone at the same company, I decided they were close enough that little things started factoring in.

I also tend to like the symmetrical look, so the dual exhaust is nicer to my eyes. Also, I don't really like the ribs on the Connie's bags. One nicer thing about the Connie, is that the windscreen stays where you left it, when you power it back up (the fjr retracts the screen when you power it down).

I was also worried about engine guards of some sort, and never found any for the C14, while the fjr has dozens of styles/mfg's available.

Those were the differences led me to the fjr, sufficient or deficient as they may be. So far, I'm very happy with my decision.

Mike

oh, one last thing, the fjr has adjustable handlebars, that I just moved back tonight. I'm not sure if it's going to eliminate wanting risers or not, I'll see in the morning.

I just picked up my '08 fjr last Tuesday, so only have 250 miles on it so far, but I spent a bunch of time hemming and hawing over which to go with.
I finally decided the Connie was just a bit too tall for me. That seems to me like a really small issue, but after sitting on C14s in a few dealers and then doing a short jaunt around a parking lot on an '07 that belonged to someone at the same company, I decided they were close enough that little things started factoring in.

I also tend to like the symmetrical look, so the dual exhaust is nicer to my eyes. Also, I don't really like the ribs on the Connie's bags. One nicer thing about the Connie, is that the windscreen stays where you left it, when you power it back up (the fjr retracts the screen when you power it down).

I was also worried about engine guards of some sort, and never found any for the C14, while the fjr has dozens of styles/mfg's available.

Those were the differences led me to the fjr, sufficient or deficient as they may be. So far, I'm very happy with my decision.

Mike

oh, one last thing, the fjr has adjustable handlebars, that I just moved back tonight. I'm not sure if it's going to eliminate wanting risers or not, I'll see in the morning.
I'm with you on the looks. Those ribs look like a washboard. I could never buy one just because of the looks, but that's definitely a personal preference thing.

About the windshield retract; it takes less than an hour for a newbie to disable that feature on the FJR (and I could do yours in less than 5 minutes because I've done it before).

Vehicle designers are always being influenced by the design cues from others. In this case, the C14 seems to have drawn largely from the 2005 Crossfire.

01.jpg