FJR corbin seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDD

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Corbin Modular seat? I have an 08 FJR and I am considering a corbin modular seat with back rest.

Thanks,

LDD

I've also been considering the Corbin, especially since I live only about 2 hrs away from the factory. They'll let you ride in and get it "custom" fitted, and feed you in their diner while you wait. THey're just so expensive.

So I guess I"m really not qualified to answer this yet, since I don't actually have one. But from my read of other posts the last few years people either love them or hate them.

I had one it sit me to high and to far back If you get one have them build it for you for you height and weight.I had one on my Goldwing and loved it.

I had a very bad experience with Corbin and will never do business with them again. I ordered a replacement seat for my V65 Magna. The passenger section of the seat was two inches shorter than the already-short stock seat, and parts were falling off. Corbin refused to acknowledge there was a problem, and they at first refused a return. Their customer service people were obnoxious (when I could reach them). They finally agreed to take the seat back but charged me a 15% restocking fee despite having agreed not to. I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

buy anything but the corbin. they don't care much for you after purchase.

mine got harder the more i rode on it, after 4000 miles i couldn't take it anymore.

i now have a two piece sergent, very, very nice seat!

cadman

I've had all good experiences with Corbin and am considering one for my FJR.

I was very please with the Corbin saddles on my Triumph Sprint and Honda Magna perviously.

My 2¢: The Corbin is better than stock, but not $400 worth. The $189 passenger backrest (what a rip-off price) was worthless - put the passenger way too far forward with no compensating adjustment. The seat is still - after 35,000 miles - way too hard ("oh, let it break in"). Workmanship and durability seem high, but I'm a function-before-form kinda guy - if it doesn't work, I don't give a damn what it looks like or how it holds up.

Same story with the Corbin on my old Honda 1100F.

Nope, never again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting replies. I have a Corbin, and have put about 20K miles on it. It is harder than some seats, but so far it is OK for me. I ma thinking about going to a Russell, but want to sit on a few first.

My Corbin wore through in one spot during the first year, so I sent it back to Corbin and they re-covered it for me at no charge. I just had to pay to ship it to them. So basically I got a new seat, other than the seat pan, under warranty after having put about 15K miles on it.

Seams like people either like Corbin or flat out hate them, and there is little in between.

I find the Corbin too hard for long distance riding (500 mile+). Any pant seam that's between me & the seat gets to be a problem the longer I sit on it.

So I own two seats...Corbin for day trips & a Russell for long trips.

Yes Corbin seats are harder than most but (no pun intended), that's better than too soft and having it creep up the crack, if ya know what I mean.

I had a Corbin on my Duc (logged about 13K miles on that seat), best seat I ever had. A close second and maybe even tied with my Duc was my Corbin on my BMW K-bike (logged about 30K miles on that seat).

Now I bought a Corbin for my 2005 FeeJ and I'm not as impressed (so far about 5K miles on this seat). I feel like I keep sliding into the tank, and I'm in a down slope position. I don't care for that, but it's still far better than the stock seat especially after sitting for long periods of time. The stocker feels like my bumm is sitting on a 2x4 after a while.

I bought this Corbin brand new on ebay from a shop that they guy ordered it and never picked it up. I got it for less then half MSRP on a new seat.

All of the Corbin seats I've had no quality issues, they held together great, no abnormal wear, etc.

I expected better though from Corbin. I guess two out of three isn't too bad. I might try a different seat next time.

I bought my Corbin in an effort to get me a little closer to the ground. On delivery I relized that it didnt. I spoke with Corbin and they were very cool about customizing the seat to fit my needs. The worked on the seat to bring me forward and down some. All in all I never did get as low as I'd have liked to but the seat is very nice and my experience with Corbin support has been outstanding. I have to agree that the seat is a little hard after a few hundred miles and I'm considering trying a russle as a second seat for long distance trips. I do want to add that the Corbin Smuggler is by far the best and most usefull farkel (all be it rediculously expensive) that I've put on my bike.

smugglerrt.jpg

I guess the choice of seats is a very personal issue. I have had a Corbin on my 06 since I got the bike and have been very happy with the fit and finish. Mine gave me a lower position that felt much better and my wife has been happy with hers as well including the backrest. I also use a Alaska Butt Pads when on long trips or day rides. I like being able to switch back and forth to change the feel and the Sheep Skins are a great way to soak up sweat on really hot days here in Tennessee.

Dealing with vendors these days seems to be as much about luck as anything else. I would rate my experience with Corbin as a C- not bad but not great either. Hope this helps!

What do you guys think of the Corbin Modular seat? I have an 08 FJR and I am considering a Corbin modular seat with back rest.
Thanks,

LDD

I've owned 2 Corbins to date. First one on a Bandit 1200 that worked great.

Second one on the FJR (Yamaha Factory Corbin) that was really uncomfortable. I contacted Corbin as I was informed there would be one free re-do with the purchase. The free re-do was not forthcoming as I could only provide a "copy" of my original receipt, and was minus the "free re-do" paperwork enclosed with the seat which had been mislaid over the previous 6 months I had the seat !! So much for customer service. The seat now sits in the garage after my attempt at a re-do didn't work either.

My 02c worth.

Maybe I should sell it ?

I have the Corbin seat (heated) and Smuggler for my 07'A. When I got the smuggler ther were some deformities with the paint form what appeared to have been packaged a little soon after painting. Corbin was very good on the return and so far have had zero problems.

The seat is very comfortable and the smuggler looks great and is very handy to have the space.

The Corbin is fine as long as you are not real heavy and require "mucho" seat to provide comfort. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Having said that my rather heavy set buddy said when he rode my FJR that the Corbin was way too hard for him. Perfect for me at 190 lbs.

I am one of the few who would tell you I am indifferent. I had one on my BMW K100RSA and well, it was a seat. It worked. I could not tell you if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and the only reason I got it was my stock seat was falling apart and at that time, Corbin was the cheapest route-go figgar. Right now, the stock seat on the FJR is just fine with me, but I may very well get just the rear with a back rest for my wife as she has finally expressed interest in riding, but I would not mind being just a tad closer to the ground.

:blink: For what it's worth, I ordered a custom Corbin seat and the Smuggler for my '06. The seat wasn't stitched the way I had specified and I sent it back and they did a great job of re-doing it to my satisfaction.

I have gotten many, many nice comments on my smuggler as everyone says it really compliments the bike and looks as though it came from the factory as part of the original bike.

At first I thought, how will this fairly hard seat be comfortable for my typical 450-750 mile days. Well I guess I don't know everything, two years later and a few 2,000-5,000 mile trips later totalling 16,000 miles on this Corbin. I must say that for me it is "all day" comfortable and a big improvement over both stock '05 and '06 FJR's that I have owned.

Am I happy with the Corbin products? Yes.

Am I happy with Corbin customer service in rectifying a problem? Yes.

Would I purchase Corbing products in the future? Yes.

I've had my corbin for about 9k miles including a Saddlesore and Bunburner ride. While the seat is definetely harder then others out there I haven't had much in the way of problems. It did start feeling a bit uncomfortable towards the end of the SS and BB. Fwiw, I weigh 220, and am in the younger generation of riders (33). Having not had a chance to sit on some of the others I can't say if I would buy another Corbin or not and hope I don't have to find out for a while.

One major issue I have with the stock seat on my 07 is that it has too much grip and prevents me moving around easily.

When in a sporty mood, I like to slide my bum over and get a good lean going :crazy: . But I find I have to lift my butt off the seat to move over and that is very tiring after a while.

Question, the Corbin saddle looks to be smooth and not covered in grippy materials like my stocker. Am I right in thinking it will be easier to slide over instead of standing on the pegs and repositioning my little posterior :no2: .