FJR Drink Holder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I often meet up with some friends on a friday night and it's tradition to stop at the coffee shop for a Latte or Mocha on the way. The problem is that there's really no way to carry 2 drinks on the bike, so I decided to come up with a solution. Coffee shops are on every corner here in the "Espresso capitol of the world" and they usually have either stickers or stir sticks to plug the drinking hole on the lid. I just need a place to hold the cups.

I didn't want to strap on those gymbal mounted holders to the handlebars. I don't carry any gear in the saddle bags on these short trips, so I picked the right bag to make a rack for. A quick check of the scrap lumber pile yielded a piece of 1x8 cedar that was quickly cut into 3 pieces and glued/screwed together to make a rack. The small section sticking out is to stop any lateral movement of the rack while cornering. A 3 inch hole saw is just the right size for the most common disposable coffee cups. I opted for 3 holes in case I'm asked to bring someone a coffee and because there was room for the 3rd hole.

fjr_drink_holder.jpg

This rack obviously won't work for long trips where the bags are full of gear, but then again I'm not hauling drinks around when I'm on the road. This rack is just for trips around town and is installed in seconds by sliding it into the bag.

And a little off topic, I also cut down the stock "head buffet supreme" shield for summer use. Lots of airflow and doesn't look too bad (other than the scratches my son created by shoving the shield down between some boxes after I had carefully laid it down ontop of a box). It still creates horrible buffeting if raised, but my goal is max airflow so it'll never get raised anyway.

fjr_cutdown_shield.jpg

Very innovative. Good job! I need something like that for my laptop, as it only fits in the side case at an awkward angle.

On the shield, scratches don't matter if you don't have to look through it. Now that it's already scratched, you can go ahead and wash it anytime with those squeegees at the gas station (I learned this the hard way).

'Bout time someone figured something like this :D

I should make one before you take out a patent !

As for the shield, spray paint the inside a matte black. Warchild was the 1st to do this and a few of us followed. Looks pretty cool (especially against red) and will make the scratches less obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea!
;)
So was smacking yer hubby. :rofl:

(back on topic)

My '04 came with a cup holder. The only problem is the cover only opens when the bike's in neutral.
Can't wait til he screws up again. (Shouldn't take much time) :eek: OH, wait . . . . . . . he screwed up. I'll be right back.

:headbonk:

Gosh, I feel better. :innocent:

Ingenious & Creative thinking, ...even if it is "inside the box", so to speak! Nice fab, in fact I'd say the only piece of woodwork I ever saw on a bike that I actually like! Although, most often I pretty much finish my brew while it's hot, before I ride away, ...'speshly if there's sidewalk seating, nice weather, & sweeet thangs strolling past! B)

I've had good success carrying coffee cups and similar items inside the (otherwise) empty jug in my Skyway hydration kit. It keeps the cup secure and well-insulated.

Last edited by a moderator: