FJR for 2 up touring?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack D

Reaction score
I have 80K on an ST1100 and 100K on a GL1800 and am considering returning to a Sport Tourer for 2 up long distance touring. I loved both but the GL is heavy and long and I am looking for something smaller. I did not find much information on touring with an FJR when searching this forum. I have some questions/concerns about the FJR that I hope some FJR touring types can answer if there are any touring types.

What gas mileage do you get at a steady 65 mph? 75 mph?

What octane is required?

How long do tires last when using the bike as a tourer?

Are there any bias or lower speed rated tires available that last longer?

(I see no need for 160+ mph tires on a bike that I will seldom take over 120. There's that sacrilege thing again.)

Reliability issues? I have read quite a bit about switch failures, ECU updates, early model valve guides, cam chain tensioners. I realize on a forum one hears more about bad issues than good but the number of problems I read about here are about the same as a BMW forum which is a lot higher than Honda GL and ST forums.

Luggage space? Can you carry enough for 2 people with camping gear for a one month trip?

What modifications were required?

What modifications if any are required for passenger comfort from wind buffeting/noise?

Sorry to offend the FJR purists who use the bike more as a sport bike. I realize my intended use is not what the bike was intended for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from SoCal,

My minimal 2up experience may not help but...

On the open highway at 75ish I get about 40-42mpg, stock windscreen, no trunk. On the slower twisties, I've gotten 56mpg, again not on it, just having fun cruising.

Michelin Pilot Road 2s (PR2) seem to give great mileage, depending on riding style etc. Of course the harder the compound the greater the mileage of the tire, but at a sacrifice to grip.

Luggage for a month, hmmm. Do you pack light or...?

Buffeting, can be solved by a couple means, taller windscreen and tuning blocks or spacers that allow more air to come under the windscreen.

Maintenance is real easy and the bike is pretty bullet proof. As far as CCT and ticking, they are rare, but discussed often, the percentage is negligible.

I'm sure some seasoned veterans will answer you questions better.

Welcome from SoCal,
My minimal 2up experience may not help but...

On the open highway at 75ish I get about 40-42mpg, stock windscreen, no trunk. On the slower twisties, I've gotten 56mpg, again not on it just having fun cruising.

Michelin Pilot Road 2s (PR2) seem to give great mileage, depending on riding style etc. Of course the harder the compound the greater the mileage of the tire, but at a sacrifice to grip.

Luggage for a month, hmmm. DO you pack light or...?

Buffeting, can be solved by a couple means, taller windscreen and tuning blocks or spacers that allow more air to come under the windscreen.

Maintenance is real easy and the bike is pretty bullet proof. As far as CCT and ticking, they are rare, but discussed often, the percentage is negligible.

I'm sure some seasoned veterans will answer you questions better.
What he said.

I generally get 40 to 45 mpg...have gotten as high as 50mpg in the Rockies.

Regarding camping 2-up for a month...I have only gone camping by myself. If I was 2 up with both person's gear and camping gear, I would seriously consider getting a trailer. I suppose some on this board would chime in that all you need is a top box...but that would seem to be pretty tight space-wise 2up for a month with camping gear.

Tires...if you don't abuse them, I think the Michelin PR2s will get you farther than any other tire. Some have gotten above 10k miles on them...but that would be atypical I would think. Cooler weather, easy riding, non abrasive road surfaces (not abrasive like Arkansas)

I have an 04 (my second one after a crash)...I have put about 70k miles on mine with no issues - none- other than the nut between the seat and the handlebars.

The FJR Owners Manual spells out 86 octane min, so I use the low-grade 87 octane that is commonly available.

If you are going a low number of miles per day, you MIGHT be able to survive on the stock seat, but you may be quite sore at the end of each day. I have a Russell seat, and would recommend that if you and your SO want to be happy at the end of each day.

This is not a sport bike, it does sportTOURING just fine or SPORTtouring if that is the way you set up the bike...but it is NOT a Goldwing. Think ST1100 with some oooooomph.

I think you'll find the FJR to be similar to your ST with respect to packing gear and luggage on it. I do a lot of touring, and frequently carry camping gear, but I travel solo so my camping gear rides on the pillion seat.

Regarding tires, I can get get over 15k miles from a set of Michelin PR2s if I don't get too sporty with them. Moet people change them earlier because they tend to get less sticky, and even start to buzz some as they get worn down, but they don't actually wear through. A few have gone to the dark side and stuck a car tire on the back. You'll have to search this site to find that thread. It is not for me, but might suit your needs.

My preferred tire, when I'm not looking for maximum mileage, is something sportier. Lots of tire talk on this forum and much of it is personal preference.

The FJR runs great on regular gasoline. At higher elevations octane requirements go down and mileage goes up. At sea level I run 87 octane and get 40-45 mpg without babying it.

I have some questions/concerns about the FJR that I hope some FJR touring types can answer if there are any touring types.Luggage space? Can you carry enough for 2 people with camping gear for a one month trip?

What modifications were required?

Sorry to offend the FJR purists who use the bike more as a sport bike. I realize my intended use is not what the bike was intended for.
No problem... Some say: almost any bike can be a sport-touring bike (depends on your frame of mind and approach...). :)

Here's a pic of a bike used for a month-long, 3 ~ 4 thousand mile, two-up tour (with camping):

4133142095_6d707d9349.jpg

Taken at Little River Canyon AL.

I think the adjustment comes more in terms of the rider/passenger than the bike. :unsure:

A 'watershed' incident was once staying at a Youth Hostel and observing the Appalachian Trail hikers -- more to the point: their gear... From then on, we carried about half of what we previously thought was necessary.

Size of rider & co-rider are an important consideration, too (co-rider in above pic weighed 100lbs.). I know some riders who must have/need the biggest motorcycles made... :blink:

Anyway..., you get the idea -- it can be done (if you really want to...). :)

Coming from a Wing, you're probably gonna lose some of the amenities you're accustomed to. It's got decent wind protection, but realize, everything pales in comparison to a wing on most creature comforts.

I've actually never found a stock seat as comfy as the ST1100 that I test rode was, so you'll lose some comfort and pillion room on the FJR. Nearly everyone who tours on an FJR gets a Russell/Mayer/other custom.

I get high about 46-50mpg when I ride two up. out west there are PLENTY of opportunities to go into triple digits. I still get better than 40 every ride. this gives a range of just bout 225 miles per tank. Yamaha recommends reg unleded 85 octane gas. By comparison, IIRC the Kaw C14 needs high octane.

Tires are long discussed in many many tire threads, so much so, they are likely the most common topic in the 'Never Ending Pointless Recurring' Thread. The flavor of the month here is Pilot Road II's, getting anywhere from 4k-8k from a rear depending. Roads, weight, throttle use all factor in greatly. There is a growing movement to put a cat tire on the rear. search 'darkside' and read the 44 pg and growing discussion. otherwise there is a size of Goodyear Marathon tire that reportedly wears well, but is decidedly not a sport tire.

Despite what you perceive to have read here, this bike is bulletproof. This forum tends to discuss literally every little detail in extreme depth. In the course of those discussions, we owners tend to over-dramatize minor flaws and then engineer complex and often needless fixes. *wink* love you guys. I include my self in this group as well. Seriously, if you are looking at a 2008 or newer, none of the past issues will even remotely apply. pre 2008, they all have recalls or owner level fixes. As Ignacio astutely observed in a recent similar thread, We're just not afraid to meet the issues' head on' This bike is more reliable than most. Lots of folks here have over 75K here with zero mechanical problems. Myself included. Let us know what year range you're looking for and then more guidance will come.

Nothing has the storage of a GW so let's get that off the table. As I understand, the FJR sidecases are bigger than either displacement of ST, and the topbox is rather large, or there's Givi, whichever size you fancy. I've had no problems packing 2-up (non camping) for 2 weeks... I can't think of much that I'd want for 2 more weeks. If you toured on an ST, you can tour on an FJR. No mods required aside from buying and mounting the topcase.

Windscreen is like oil, tires and seats. it's subjective. many riders get a huge barn-door screen to block all wind, some chop down the screen to the size of a credit card and sit in clean air. Most agree the stock screen needs some help. I didn't have an issue, but a rifle tuning block to tip it back a little was nicer. You may need one mod or another depending on your body size and shape.

You're not offending anyone here. We all bought the bike because it does so much so well. It'll happly cross the country logging huge miles, then drop the removable sidecases (or not) and rip up the bendy bits the next day. Even the 'purists' here understand that the bike came with sidecases and is tour oriented, the sport guys are a vast minotity here and even they use it for multi day rides a few times a year. it's intended use is solely your choice. Several forum members have done the IBR on this bike. I'd expect your intended use to be closer to the what Yamaha expected than the 'sportbike with cases.'

...Aaaaannnnddd I'm spent.

The FJR is fine for two-up touring. Neither too large nor too small, it seems "just right," as I routinely contemplate it in motel parking lots at the ends of satisfying riding days.

With just over 40,000 on the clock, my wife and I have made many multi-day trips on it, and the only complaints I have received so far come in the form of a thump on the helmet as the speedometer needle approaches 80. I wish Yamaha would offer a speedometer screen so she can't see the dial.

We added a couple of sheepskin seat covers, well worth the minimal effort, and a Throttlemeister. WBill

Hey if anybody give you shit tell them to **** off. It's an awesome bike to share it with your chick. The only problem I have with the chick on the back is the slip stream of air, it causes my head to be jerked around.

You have to share the bike with your wife, for me it helps when the wife has to send the paymet in to Yamaha. Besides I look good with her on the back

Now my 2 cents. I have an 07 soon to be 2years old. 18k and it is all solo so I cannot address the 2 up or camping aspects. I was in the Army for almost 7 years and got enough of tents to last a life time.

I can tell you that I get 46-48 mpg and recently got almost 50 mpg on a trip to Pensacola FL and back. Just under 2k for that trip. I have the top box and could have carried a little more than I did but it was not necessary. I averaged almost 500 miles per day riding. I have a stock seat modified by Spenser with a sheep skin over it. With that arrangement I am good for a tank full before I need to get off and take a brake. If I was doing a month of travel I would follow the advice of others and get the Russell seat.

As to tires I have PR2's that currently have 10k on the rear and 8k on the front. I am not to the wear bars but will likely reach that in another 1k or so. I generally run 5-10 over the posted limit depending on conditions. I have only had it over 100mph 3 times. It is hard to hold it down especially if the road gets a little curvy. The only mods are the Yamaha top box, Throttlemeister, G2 throttle controller and sliders.

I previously rode HD dressers and Goldwings. Both rides were good bikes but I have enjoyed the FJR more than any bike I have previously owned. I would suggest you take the little lady out for a ride on one before you buy it. My wife does not ride with me because she has bad knees and the high up leg position for the pillion made it very uncomfortable for her. Of course we are old!

Good luck with your decision and I think you will not regret the FJR as it is a great all around bike.

Average MPG on 87 octane over 30k miles (home elevation of 4250 ft) = 46.9. High MPG of 54.5 (high in the Colorado Rockies). Highest miles to a tank of 282 (never ran out, still had several tenths left).

Wow, lot of questions. My answer is more simplistic, just go ride one.

Many tend to over think stuff. I knew I wanted an FJR the day I saw one. I was told later that one could get close to 50 mpg. I average 38 mpg. My wife loves the bike and says she is comfortable. She has not ridden on a Goldwing..(perhaps that is a good thing) So yeah, if you ride 2 up alot you might want to let your pillion in on the test ride.

If you nit pick every bike on the planet you will find they all have their strengths and their weaknesses. Don't over think this, go ride one. Judge with your gut and not your head here. Most of the folks here do "tour" with the bike, we all know here that it is not a sportbike, but it does have a quite a few sportbike attributes... like great handling and awesome brakes.

The whole concept of "sport/touring" in effect is a comprimise. The FJR just happens to be one of the better examples of how to make a good one.

KM

We've done a couple of two week trips two up, but her idea of camping is a 3 star motel. Like others said, we've learned to pack lighter. We have sent dirty clothes home via ups to lighten the load. I think I get around 40 mpg, about 225 before looking for gas. We both need to talk to nutrisystem so the bike is fully overloaded and it does great. Am gonna upgrade the suspension when I get the dollars (heavier springs). Am currently trying to find a way to Quebec next June, which would be about 2400 miles each way.

And if you want to see a bike fully loaded up, check with BugR

I have a GL1500 I use for 2-up. The FJR is a comfortable bike 1 up but I really notice how much less space there is for rider and passenger on the FJR. This is me (a relatively big guy at 250 lb.) plus one of my daughters at maybe 130 lbs.

The space issue to me is the big drawback for the FJR and, unfortunately, it's not one that can be fixed with aftermarket goodies. It just feels cramped compared to the GL. If you are both small people I'd say the FJR could be a fine 2-up machine, otherwise not so much.

Overall the GL is just a far more comfortable 2-up tourer. It's a pig otherwise (poor mileage at 33 mpg. and handles like an RV) so I only use it for 2 up trips and really cold morning commutes.

I liked the removable luggage on the FJR a lot more than the GL1500's.

I added an aftermarket windsheild to my FJR which eliminated the vacuum effect the stock windsheild created. Also bar risers. electric windshield a huge plus for FJR.

I added a J&M CB/Intercom to the FJR. in my experience it's performance was comparable to the stock radio/intercom on the GL1500.

Supposedly the GL1800's are a lot sportier than the GL1500 but you've already been there. by all accounts the luggage capacity on the GL1800 is lower than the GL1500. FJR and GL1500 seemed comparable to me with GL1500 a little more.

I've been giving a lot of consideration to restoring a GL1100 with brake, suspension and electronics upgrades. From what I can tell this would give me the 2 up comfort I crave while still having a fun bike to ride. (I liked riding my GL1100 a lot more than the 1500.) it would cost less as well.

What gas mileage do you get at a steady 65 mph? 75 mph?

If I'm riding w/ a conservative friend I get 48, once 50. You steady, 2-up, ~speed limit?: approx 45 as a guess.

What octane is required?

Everyone lines up at the regular pump.

Are there any bias or lower speed rated tires available that last longer?

Metzler ME880, I think the FJR Iron Butt guys get ~12-14K or so out of a rear.

You should pose this question in the Iron Butt rally section of this forum, unless one of 'em chips in here.

Reliability issues?

My '04 has always started, never had to add oil. Only flats have made me stop at edge of road.

Luggage space? Can you carry enough for 2 people with camping gear for a one month trip?

I can't fathom because I seldom ride 2-up, and my solo camping trips have been gear minimalist.

What modifications if any are required for passenger comfort from wind buffeting/noise?

Since I don't use mine like you do, I bet the biggest uncertainty is space for 2-up and visualized gear (you know how much you bring)

Maybe you and your 130# lady could trade bikes with an FJR for a day and travel some miles...? Bet you could answer the questions then.

best to you.

I would plan to use a back rest, rack, and a duffle bag instead of a trunk to get some more flexible space.

Brian