FJR insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robedge

Reaction score
So I open the insurance renewal notice from Rider Insurance in NJ and look at the premium and it looks really high -- about $1550. I didn't remember paying that much in the past so called them and asked if it had increased - they said "yeah it has". I asked by how much, they said "well last year you paid $500". "So it's tripled" said I? "Why?"

"Well, we reclassified the FJR1300 from a touring bike (or something like that) to a sports bike, so your premium changed." "Changed" said I incredulous, "you tripled it!"

"And your point is what" said the phone rep. (Well not exactly, but that was pretty much her attitude). So I told her I'd be looking for another insurance company. She couldn't care less.

About 15 minutes and a few mouse clicks later, I'm hooked up with GEICO who just started insuring in NJ again after a long hiatus. My Premium? $525 for the year.

Stick that Rider! Sleazy bastards.

Moral of story, if you feel like your being hosed by your insurance company, start shopping!

Who else has been victim to the "we reclassified your bike" line?

I'll reclassify your ass, mfucka. Sorry, that's the Joisey in me.

:agent: :agent: :agent:

I think the same thing just happened to me, although I haven't checked with American Family yet. Mine went from $550 to $700, a small jump, but unexplained thus far. Maybe I shouldn't complain when I hear about your increase. Yikes! :eek:

Check the fine print in your Geico policy. It's my understanding the Geico MC policies limit the rider to 500 miles in a 24 hour period. There are certain Long

distance Rallies that won't let you run their event if your insured by Geico. This may or may not be a concern to you.

When I got my FJR 11/04, my insurance company that insures my Venture (American Modern) wanted $2500 to insure the FJR compared to the less the $300 for my much more expensive Venture. It was clear they just didn't want to be bothered insuring the FJR. I'm with Nationwide now for about $575 per year. I could get cheaper through State Farm but would have to have at least two policies with them and they couldn't beat my other insurance companies for home, car, etc.

I'm throught Progressive, also been with Dairyland in the past.

Geico is evil. Check "fine print".

Last edited by a moderator:
State Farm is good on motorcycles if you have other stuff with them (car, house, etc.), or Progressive is good as a single policy. I've had both, both good.

Doesn't this belong in the insurance thread? Doesn't matter to me just asking. I had my insurance triple once and did the same thing. got on the phone and started calling. Ended up with better coverage for less than the original policy price. I have GMAC but haven't had a claim in 8 years. Knock on wood.

I've had State Farm for my whole life (no pun intended). Only claim I ever filed on anything was about 13 years ago when a fire that started in the apartment below ours decided to mess up 2/3's of our stuff. Zero other claims, including 3 decades of cage driving.

State Farm wanted close to $1000 a year! I mean, yeah, I'm a born-again motorcycle newbie, but still....

I did some online checking around at various insurance vendors and I was able to get Progressive for $543/year. BTW, Geico wanted over $1300/year. You gotta check around a lot since all the companies seem to base rates by your location in addition to your bike, experience level, and other mysterious intangibles.

I also figure that after I get a year of riding under my belt, and keep my record clean, I'll shop around again and hopefully get a better deal.

Bunsen

When I got my FJR 11/04, my insurance company that insures my Venture (American Modern) wanted $2500 to insure the FJR compared to the less the $300 for my much more expensive Venture. It was clear they just didn't want to be bothered insuring the FJR. I'm with Nationwide now for about $575 per year. I could get cheaper through State Farm but would have to have at least two policies with them and they couldn't beat my other insurance companies for home, car, etc.
I have been an insurance agent for 40 years. Insure with State Farm at your own risk! I wrote my thesis on State Farm Insurance practices in the 1960s in the state of Illinois. :bad:

State Farm is the only company I would not insure with.

CK

PS I'm sure many have had good luck with State Farm, But------

Luther Mutual! (not really)

No I insure with "Markel American Insurance Company" Glenn Allen, Va.

Through American Underwriting Managers

P.O. box 906

Pewaukee, Wi. 53072-0906

Good rates. BUT, I'm an old man! 63 years old.

Rates for a 1993 ST1100 and a 1997 Valk full coverage 250 ded. 100/300,000 BI

50,000PD 25/50 UM 100/300 passanger BI - NO Kryptonite coverage!

$371 annual for both bikes. $185 for the ST and $186 for the Valk.

BUT the low rates are not worth being as old as I am! Even if I'm A SUPERMAN! :haha:

Luther Mutual! (not really)
No I insure with "Markel American Insurance Company" Glenn Allen, Va.

Through American Underwriting Managers

P.O. box 906

Pewaukee, Wi. 53072-0906

Good rates. BUT, I'm an old man! 63 years old.

Rates for a 1993 ST1100 and a 1997 Valk full coverage 250 ded. 100/300,000 BI

50,000PD 25/50 UM 100/300 passanger BI - NO Kryptonite coverage!

$371 annual for both bikes. $185 for the ST and $186 for the Valk.

BUT the low rates are not worth being as old as I am! Even if I'm A SUPERMAN! :haha:
Dang!

I should move to VA... The FJR and my Harley cost me something like $1400..but that includes medical and some other stuff... woulda gone with State Farm, but then I could not keep my Hi driver's lisc..wouldnt've had to get an Ohio one....

Also the bikes are an 03 and an 05....

also found out that they check your credit report...

Cost me more because...

1. I had a car loan in the past 1-4 years...

2. I had a couple old late payments on something years ago...

3. The oldest account of any kind was opened after I was 35....

Now tell me they aint' prejudiced... if you get a credit card when you're a baby and keep it forever,

Never finance a new car,

and never make any late payments on anything, you'll get a better rate...(Ok, the last one was my fault...I was on vacation...)

And I am sure way over 35...what us old fogies aint' supposed to buy new cars on credit?

Mary

PS...You aint' old... cause if you is, then I is, and I ain't! :p

The insurace company is in Va. I'm in Montana. I'm sure they sell it in all states.

The ins. company's 800# is 1-800-236-2453

CK

I have been an insurance agent for 40 years. Insure with State Farm at your own risk! I wrote my thesis on State Farm Insurance practices in the 1960s in the state of Illinois. :bad:
State Farm is the only company I would not insure with.

CK

PS I'm sure many have had good luck with State Farm, But------
Since I have been insured with State Farm for years, please tell me what the problems are with them. You must have the information at your fingertiips.

But-------What?

Can't trust them. My thesis was on why State Farm cancelled ALL, (ALL) underage drivers in the State of Illinois in the 60's becasue the no longer wanted to have underage risks. Left 1000's high and dry.

Good Thesis.

Also have delt with their claims dept for years. If your their client your ok -(maybe). If a State Farm insured hits you and it's their fault, Good luck in getting a fair deal! That's just my opinion.

Many dealing with SF have good luck. Hope your one of them.

AND, every large ins. company has their detractors, for whatever reason.

CK.