fjr signals and heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
I just finished putting my 06 fjr back together. I have put about 400 miles on it and have a couple complaints. it is a great bike but I have an issue with the fact that it does not have self canceling turn signals (really? 06). And the heat on my legs is sometime all I can take. I was told this was one of the most technological bike you could by . Am I missing something

I would appretciate any feed back I can get

Thanks Doug

play and be nice, gang

Gen II, right? Play with the air scoops on the sides of the fairing and see if that helps.

I'd personally love some self canceling turn signals. Fix for me was a JC Whitney turn signal beeper to warn me they are still on. Others went with the Kisan Signal Minder is an electronic module that replaces the turn signal module and turns off the blinkers after a preset time. And it has settings if you wish to the brake light, etc.

I just finished putting my 06 fjr back together. And the heat on my legs is sometime all I can take.

This is a strange one. What do you mean just finished putting it back together? If it's really an '06 then something is wrong as Yamaha really mastered heat issues that plague many motorcycles with the '06 and up FJR. When it comes to heat management it doesn't get any better than the FJR. My previous bikes were like frying pans in the summer (FZ1, Vmax, CBR1000F) compared to the FJR.

Self cancelling turn signals?? That's kind of Harley Davidson-ish isn't it? I personally think that's a bit much.

As for the heat, where do you think 145 hp comes from?

Steve

what type of gear are you riding in? you didn't include that data in your post.

it really would have been nice for the folks at Yamaha to include self-cancelling units for the blinkers on our FJR's, but dang they didn't.

i don't miss them even after riding my '80 XS1100 for over 20 years. it becomes second nature to push in the blinker button after executing my turns. yes, i do forget every now and then to push the button, but for the most part, blinkers off.

cadman

it is a great bike but I have an issue with the fact that it does not have self canceling turn signals (really? 06). And the heat on my legs is sometime all I can take. I was told this was one of the most technological bike you could by . Am I missing something
I would appretciate any feed back I can get
When you put it back together from the two bikes you built yours from....you accidentally used the '03 heat generator and forgot the self-canceling relay from the '06. I hope you didn't throw the spare parts away because you still have a bit of work to do.

Man some of you guys are brutal! I guess it never enterd your mind that traveling down the road with your signal on is dangerous and a good way to die. I know your not supose to turn out in front of some one just because they are indicating that they are turning but then again people are crazy. I am just wanting to live longer so I can ride longer. As for the heat I am just comparing it to my 86 fj that was not nearly as bad. I am going to look into the heat ducts and see what I can do. I appretciate the advice on the signals I just ordered my signal minder

Thanks

Doug

Actually, the heat on any fully fared bike will always be more noticeable than on a 1/2 faring or naked bike. The engine heat will well up in the dead air space behind the tupperware and you will feel warmer. Which is a great thing to extend the riding season in a good part of the world, BTW. You don't say what kind of a windshield you are now using, but going with a shorter shield in the summer months helps a lot.

The best thing for self canceling turn signals is to get into the habit of always canceling your signals. You are quite right that it is a dangerous situation to be riding down the road with one flashing as bone headed cars will pull in front of you. There are aftermarket cancelers out there, or you can go with the aftermarket audio reminders (beeps), or you can develop the habit. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a very big deal.

I guess it never entered your mind that an awareness of the operation of your vehicle is your responsibility as the operator, and if the gauge sweep was part of your 5-second cycle of things you look at (road ahead, distant road ahead, escape routes, mirrors, gauges, road ahead, distant road ahead, etc.) You'd not ride across Kansas with a blinker going. Mashing the center of the button is not that hard a thing to do. It just isn't.

As for the heat, I have an '03, with none of the new-fangled adjustable vents the newer bikes have, and I have no heat issue if I'm properly geared up. If I'm riding in jeans instead of riding pants, or if I have shorts under mesh pants, then my left leg cooks.

Actually, the heat on any fully fared bike will always be more noticeable than on a 1/2 faring or naked bike. The engine heat will well up in the dead air space behind the tupperware and you will feel warmer. Which is a great thing to extend the riding season in a good part of the world, BTW. You don't say what kind of a windshield you are now using, but going with a shorter shield in the summer months helps a lot.
The best thing for self canceling turn signals is to get into the habit of always canceling your signals. You are quite right that it is a dangerous situation to be riding down the road with one flashing as bone headed cars will pull in front of you. There are aftermarket cancelers out there, or you can go with the aftermarket audio reminders (beeps), or you can develop the habit. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a very big deal.
Well, color me goofy, but this is a new guy asking legitimate questions (for him) and the only stupid question in my book is one not asked...and it's NOT Friday. Course folks pull my chain all the time...dense & gullible me, but I don't mind in the end.

OK, continued discussion

well yeah, but the time after switching from a self canceling Goldwing to the non Feejer, was dangerous developing the proper habit of scanning for turn signal on (BTW, in deep south direct sunlight, I could NOT see the green blinker indicator was on anyway) or mashing the button every time after a turn (remember to first ride the bike and stay out of trouble) was problematic for a time. I decided a turn signal beeper would remind me the signal is on and that would help me develop the proper habit of turning them off. The idea is to use the beeping as a training aide. Now, I pretty much have the habit unless a semi turns into my path, and then I might forget to mash the turn signal button as I adjust my riding pants after the incident.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Man some of you guys are brutal! Thanks

Doug
Doug, looks like ya have a thick skin...that's a real good thing

newbies, I'm sure, have quickly run screamin' back to mama at times

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of us LIKE the fact that the FJR doesn't have self-cancelling turn signals. Preparing to make a turn and NOT having yor turn signal on (because it was already self-cancelled) can be a very dangerous thing.

As for the heat, where do you live and what were you wearing?

HEAT!??? From an '06!?!??? Negatory, my friend. You might want to take a closer look at how you assembled Franken-feejer. Sitting in stop-and-go traffic on a 90 degree day, I hardly notice the heat from my '06. It's a fraction of what my '03 threw at me.

As far as not cancelling your signals being dangerous, I agree. So start developing the HABIT of cancelling them. I do it without even having to think about it. Self cancelling signals are not as common as you might think...or want.

Lastly, we're not "brutal". We're just full of "tough love" (among other things) ;)

As hard as I try to remember, I still forget to cancel the signal on the FJR about half the time. The CRS has really started creeping in. I'd like to have self canceling signals, but not a big issue for me. I may have to buy a warning system like Mike's and hook them up to my horns. As for the heat. My Gen II is much better than my old Gen I was. Ankles get a little warm during the summer, but that's it. No nut roaster.

GP

My issue is that the Gen II lights are really small and dim, and I do miss them. I also miss the big bright green square on the SV, too. I think it's the green color, as the yellow "fuel low" light always gets my attention, and it's the same size/shape and nearly the same place.

The simple fix I use: just don't use turn signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0091resize.jpg

I appretciate the help it's just going to take some getting used to going from an fj1100 to the fjr. The good way out weighs the bad (night and day difference) so I will work through the signal thing and I am looking into the air ducting. Does any one have input on the best after market seat for these my fj had a corbin and I loved it are they equaly comfortable on the fjr,or is there a better option. I put the picture in so you can see its not some sort of cobbed together fjr.the only thing I used off the 03 was the frame all else is 06

Thanks Again

Latest posts