FJR Tail Chop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
With all that license plate, fender, reflectors, etc, has anyone chopped the tail and neatened up the license plate area? Anyone make a kit?

No kits that I know of, like I'm an expert. Click here for one man's story.

I you ride in the rain, everything on the back's gonna get really nasty. Top case, SO, whatever. Be prepared for the consequences.

I have chopped the tail up a little to just behind the license plate.

Like Walter said if you ride in the rain everything gets nasty dirty but it does make tire changes easier.

Good luck.

I did some minor modding to mine. I took off the reflectors near the plate and cut the bottom reflector off. I added on the helmet guardian, Hyperlites, and reflective tape to the side bags. I do get some spray on the tail lights in rain.

fjrrrr042.jpg

I did some minor modding to mine. I took off the reflectors near the plate and cut the bottom reflector off. I added on the helmet guardian, Hyperlites, and reflective tape to the side bags. I do get some spray on the tail lights in rain.
fjrrrr042.jpg
Mine is cut up higher to the bottom lip of the license plate.

Looks good and if it is really raining even with a fender side splash, truck splash is going to be a mess(however I love the FJR in the rain with right technical gear,Sidis etc)

I bought my bike from a forum member here and he had the fender already chopped, in fact he bought a new fender, worked on it and then mounted it on the bike.

A lot of work IMHO....

Fender.jpg

There 's always the option of installing a hugger to address the spray issue...

There 's always the option of installing a hugger to address the spray issue...
Actually, no, that's incorrect.

The water flyoff from the rear tire occurs well before reaching the hugger. It will do nothing to prevent a nasty-ass rooster tail of rainwater/mud on the taillight and topbox area. The main use of a hugger is to minimize road splooge on the rear shock, a common cause of shock seal damage and eventual failure.

The Brits definitely know a thing or two about riding in the rain, so it's no surprise they would come up with a FJR fender extension. Even without chopping the rear fender, there is still a metric buttload of water spray when riding in the rain, so this farkle was one of the very first mods I did to the bike back in 2003:

mf1.jpg

Where did you buy one of those fender extenders? Doing a search I could only find the extender for the front, which is also on FJRTech as the fastener free install.

I want to get the rear fender extender to mitigate the effects of the PO's tail bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took an after market car mud flap (aka Canadian Tire or in the USA Walmart) and got creative with a dremel and a drill.

Cost $5 and took 10 mins

I have no pic's handy but looks pretty much like Warchilds, may be an inch or two longer

Absolutely essential if you dark side the bike

Chris