FJR Throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMC

Reaction score
Any feedback regarding subject FJR differences ?

Recent motorcycle magazine test article comparing 08 BMW 1200RT, Concours, and FJR noted the change in throttle response for the 08 FJR ------------- Yamaha revised the throttle pulley, albeit still stiff. Basic query, does the 07 FJR have the new pulley as well ---------- when did Yamaha officially introduce the new pulley ?

BTW: Replacing the pulley is not a simple fix, since Yamaha apparently only sells the new pulley as part of the $1200 throttle body (parts price only).

Is PC III the only viable solution for the throlle malady ?

Any feedback regarding subject FJR differences ?
Recent motorcycle magazine test article comparing 08 BMW 1200RT, Concours, and FJR noted the change in throttle response for the 08 FJR ------------- Yamaha revised the throttle pulley, albeit still stiff. Basic query, does the 07 FJR have the new pulley as well ---------- when did Yamaha officially introduce the new pulley ?

BTW: Replacing the pulley is not a simple fix, since Yamaha apparently only sells the new pulley as part of the $1200 throttle body (parts price only).

Is PC III the only viable solution for the throlle malady ?
The '06-'07 has the wierd esentric pully. It was changed back to a more even progression for '08. It was one of the changes for '08 that they bragged about.

Put a G2 Throttle tube in and it will help, add to that a PC3 and it's nervana B)

The biggest problem on my '07 was the damn garage door spring Yamaha used. Back that sucka off a turn, put in a G2Ergo, and I'm happy. All the difficulty in shifting smoothly and idling around a parking lot went away w/o needing a PC-III.

Please excuse an FNG's ignorance ,but what the heck is a g2 - or a pc3?

We short hand the name 'g2', it stands for G2 Ergonomics, a motorcycle aftermarket parts manufacturer that specializes in Throttle Cam Systems that alter the rate of throttle action. They make a throttle tube and cam that negates the eccentric cam on the '06 & '07 throttle bodies so that the throttle delivers a linear response.

The '08s have reverted back to the normal round throttle cam but some people have been putting the G2 cam on anyway. In this case the G2 actually slows down the throttle response so that it takes a lot of twisting to get a small amount of throttle response. This makes fine throttle control very easy and the G2 only alters the area of throttle travel where most cruising is done.

A PCIII is a fuel management computer made by Dynojet. It does not replace the FJR's computer, it alters the fuel injectors response time and some percentage of fuel delivered via easily loaded FI maps. Maps are generated that can produce a wide variety of performance feel and engine smoothness. The FJR's ECU still continues to read all the sensors and produce the primary fuel injection timing. The PCIII's ability to control FI response greatly improves the throttle abruptness that some people feel, and the fuel injection volume control improves general drivability.

===========================

Surging: At a steady throttle, light engine load, the engine speed varies a small amount which feels like the throttle is being opened and closed a tiny amount even though it is being held steady. Sometimes fixed by CO adjustments, fixed with a PCIII.

Abrupt power delivery: When the throttle is closed the engine goes into a decel FI routine where fuel injection is basically turned off, then when power is asked for again there may be small hesitation without response as the throttle is rolled on, then suddenly you get all the throttle that you dialed up. Helped/fixed by a PCIII

Abrupt Throttle Response II: The Gen II throttle cam is eccentric (not round) causing the throttle to respond in greater proportion than what the operator intended. The steep ramp of the throttle cam is right around the 3k rpm range. A second issue are the gorilla springs on the throttle pulley making it very tiring to use and makes fine throttle control difficult. A G2 throttle tube & cam will neutralize the eccentric throttle cam. Some people acknowledge the risks and partially unwind the throttle springs to lighten up throttle effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
We short hand the name 'g2', it stands for G2 Ergonomics, a motorcycle aftermarket parts manufacturer that specializes in Throttle Cam Systems that alter the rate of throttle action. They make a throttle tube and cam that negates the eccentric cam on the '06 & '07 throttle bodies so that the throttle delivers a linear response.

The '08s have reverted back to the normal round throttle cam but some people have been putting the G2 cam on anyway. In this case the G2 actually slows down the throttle response so that it takes a lot of twisting to get a small amount of throttle response. This makes fine throttle control very easy and the G2 only alters the area of throttle travel where most cruising is done.

A PCIII is a fuel management computer made by Dynojet. It does not replace the FJR's computer, it alters the fuel injectors response time and some percentage of fuel delivered via easily loaded FI maps. Maps are generated that can produce a wide variety of performance feel and engine smoothness. The FJR's ECU still continues to read all the sensors and produce the primary fuel injection timing. The PCIII's ability to control FI response greatly improves the throttle abruptness that some people feel, and the fuel injection volume control improves general drivability.

===========================

Surging: At a steady throttle, light engine load, the engine speed varies a small amount which feels like the throttle is being opened and closed a tiny amount even though it is being held steady. Sometimes fixed by CO adjustments, fixed with a PCIII.

Abrupt power delivery: When the throttle is closed the engine goes into a decel FI routine where fuel injection is basically turned off, then when power is asked for again there may be small hesitation without response as the throttle is rolled on, then suddenly you get all the throttle that you dialed up. Helped/fixed by a PCIII

Abrupt Throttle Response II: The Gen II throttle cam is eccentric (not round) causing the throttle to respond in greater proportion than what the operator intended. The steep ramp of the throttle cam is right around the 3k rpm range. A second issue are the gorilla springs on the throttle pulley making it very tiring to use and makes fine throttle control difficult. A G2 throttle tube & cam will neutralize the eccentric throttle cam. Some people acknowledge the risks and partially unwind the throttle springs to lighten up throttle effort.

Is the effectiveness of PCIII diminished, if the the O2 sensor is disconnected (as recommended in the install instructions) ?

The biggest problem on my '07 was the damn garage door spring Yamaha used. Back that sucka off a turn, put in a G2Ergo, and I'm happy. All the difficulty in shifting smoothly and idling around a parking lot went away w/o needing a PC-III.

Is the effectiveness of PCIII diminished, if the the O2 sensor is disconnected (as recommended in the install instructions) ?
No, it's necessary to keep the ECU from trying to compensate away the effects of the PC-III. With the O2 sensor connected, the two would "argue" with each other.

:)

The effect of the PCIII is deminnished if the O2 sensor is NOT disconnected. With the O2 sensor working, the ECU tries to correct for the fuel the PCIII is adding in.

Disconnect the O2.

The effect of the PCIII is deminnished if the O2 sensor is NOT disconnected. With the O2 sensor working, the ECU tries to correct for the fuel the PCIII is adding in.

Disconnect the O2.

Will the enriched fuel mixture (via PCIII) damage the converters ? I believe the O2 sensor will normally send signals to the main ECU to adjust intake fuel mixture depending on exhaust mxiture.

Thoughts ?

Insight please. How did you back off the spring ?

Try here. (Before the Search Nazis are very rude to you, I found this by typing "unwind throttle spring site:fjrforum.com" into google search, found it half way down the list. But I did know what I was looking for.)

I did add my own comments to Rick's excellent post, might help if you've never lifted your tank before.

AAHHHH- I get it! Thanks for the quick education ,IONBEAM . All my previous bikes have been carbureted. Fuel injection good -me likee !

Try here. (Before the Search Nazis are very rude to you, I found this by typing "unwind throttle spring site:fjrforum.com" into google search, found it half way down the list. But I did know what I was looking for.)

I did add my own comments to Rick's excellent post, might help if you've never lifted your tank before.

Apprecaite the extra effort. A lot of work----------- great photos !

BTW: Does the disconnected spring remain loose, or remove it entirely ?

QUOTE (GMC @ Aug 28 2008, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (mcatrophy @ Aug 28 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (GMC @ Aug 28 2008, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Crash Cash @ Aug 27 2008, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apprecaite the extra effort. A lot of work----------- great photos !

BTW: Does the disconnected spring remain loose, or remove it entirely ?

The spring remains in place. It is held at the end you "play" with by a tang, when you push it off the tang, it unwinds 1 turn and re-grabs the tang as if by magic.

This picture shows a general view under the (lifted) tank and some stuff removed (click on image for larger view):

This picture is the blown-up centre portion of the above, the tag and spring end are ringed.

As far as I remember, this is shown with the throttle opened a little. You just have to ease the loop of the spring end off the tag, it whips round and grabs hold again.

One or two people have reported their spring isn't quite tight on the tang after the release.

My '08 was manufactured in 12/07 (according to the tag) and it has the abrupt throttle referred to experienced with earlier models. Have checked the freeplay, cables, etc. and everything seems to be well within spec so the G2 sleeve and throttle cam appears to be the logical step. So far this is the only issue I have with the bike.