FJR Tire Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-Gerrit

Reaction score
I have a question regarding tires for the FJR 1300. I just purchased a 2004 and will probably need new tires in about 2k miles. My '92 ST1100 was very tempermental with different brand tires. When reverting back to Dunlop's, the front end issues went away. Can anyone suggest a good all purpose brand tire for the FJR 1300??

You'll get many different opinions on tires here.

What's your style of riding first?

Do you want mileage tires or handling the most?

Some like the pirelli stradas,I've tried these and they are a good handling tire that lasts pretty well.

Others like the michelin pilot roads, the pilot powers are a softer compound and are for more sport oriented riding.

Others like the avons for the mileage aspect,I've tried all three and probably think the pirelli's would be a good middle of the road tire.

You'll get many different opinions on tires here.What's your style of riding first?

Do you want mileage tires or handling the most?

Some like the pirelli stradas,I've tried these and they are a good handling tire that lasts pretty well.

Others like the michelin pilot roads, the pilot powers are a softer compound and are for more sport oriented riding.

Others like the avons for the mileage aspect,I've tried all three and probably think the pirelli's would be a good middle of the road tire.
anyone ever tried the pirelli diablos? there's a place that currently has the diablo supersport buy the front and get the rear free (or vise versa, can't remember).

I just wore down my Z6 rear after 4500 miles.

The local Yamaha dealer quoted $300 to install a new Z6. No way I'm going to fork over that kind of change + a front tire on a regular basis.

I had been considering the Metzler ME880 170/60VR-17, slightly different from the stock 180/55ZR17 and decided to give the trusty Honda/Kawasaki dealer in north GA that I had been using for years a call. He quoted me $140 +$30 install so I said "see you Sat."

I rode up there with cord showing on my Z6 but it held up 85 miles. I rode around the north GA mtns brisk to hard (for me) at my usual pace after scrubbing in the tires over 20 miles. I rode brisk/hard all day in the mtns over 125 miles then got to test them in a hard downpour/thunderstorm for the next 2 hours until I got home.

The 880 looks very thick and meaty and I hope it lasts 7-8k or better but I like the ride (couldn't feel a difference) and I like the price for sure!

I was going to do the same with my '04 ST1300 when I wore the Z6 down with the same kind of mileage but just got rid of the bike instead.

Maybe if you're a real knee dragger/peg scraper the 880 won't do (maybe?) but I ride my FJR hard through the twisties and usually 20+ over and I don't feel a difference.

From Metzler website:

Premium line dedicated to cruiser and heavy touring bikes, featuring high-tech construction with fashionable design

Machine-specific carcass construction for exceptional riding comfort and stability at all speeds, even under heavy load

Tread pattern design with offset central groove's alignment providing uniform tread wear, very high mileage for never-ending riding fun

Very smooth handling and highest stability for easy riding in all conditions, at full speed on straight as well as on twisty mountain roads

Steve

I've gone through 2 different models of Metzler's on my '05 FJR. No more of those. The bike wouldn't hold a line in a high speed turn.

I'm currently using Michelin Pilot Road's and am extremely pleased with them in every way.

IRBR