FJR v C14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Riding solo yesterday, great weather, somewhere in central ID, overtaking what little traffic there was on a long winding pass a car at a time, suddenly notice twin headlights behind me. Another solo rider on a C14. After getting through most of the twisties, the road opens up for about a 16 mile stretch--no cars anywhere. I let him by, he can be the blocker.

A very short time later we're having a laugh at a little gas station. Turns out his C14 is the same year as my FJR ('08). The verdict? Both bikes are STUPID FAST! I've been there before, but never had the "bird's eye view" of how it looks, and it was awesome. God bless the Japanese inline-4! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same thoughts: one of my riding buddies has the C14 and him and I have ridden together a few times in Colorado and here in Texas. Both bikes seem about the same to me on the top end. We have done several runs at 100+ and a few at 150+ and both bikes stay together all the way up. I think the verdict of the C14 as an FJR killer are just talk, I am not seeing it. Now, my brother in laws warmed over Ninja 1000 is a completely different story ;)

I was running up 550 to Cuba NM, about 70 miles, and one came up on me. The road was clear and so was the other riders intentions <_< So off we went! He could just barley pull me in the very long straigts but was no match in the sweepers :rolleyes: After about 25 miles I lost him for good! I waited for him on the edge of Cuba, and he rode right past me, :unsure: this is what he looked like :angry2: This is what I looked like :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: And my FJR was running on regular gasoline, crappy regular gasoline! :) Thats what I know about them, that and that they are Ugly!

So you're telling us to run instead of stopping for the PoPo? Seems kind of irresponsible.

Just an FYI in Colorado there is a street racing law get caught and odds are no license for a year. Ride safe

Ya think!

Most states would put you in jail!

Gotta love that liberalism, somebody's got to watch out for you idiots! Out there racing on public highways, you aught to be shot! :lol:

Except for maybe a straight up drag race, the RIDER will make the difference in the twist and turns, not the bike!

They might have the impression that I was racing the connie :rolleyes: when we were really just comparing our bikes abilities to perform at higher then average driving speeds! ;)

Rider means everything in a drag race too-I have put several hot 6oo's on the trailer with the FJR much to their surprise. They are faster but hard to launch..

I went to the Kawasaki demo ride and road the C14, although I liked the bike the main thing that stuck in my head was how big it was and how my right foot always hit the right pannier went mounting the bike. Two weeks after that I went to the Yamaha demo ride and road the FJR and it didn't seem quite as big, and as a former Goldwing owner I do not want a really big bike. And, I didn't think getting my foot over the right pannier was quite as hard. Since then I've gone to local dealers to re-check the ergonomics of the two bikes again and found that given the placement of the C14's side stand, left foot peg, and left rear pannier, the C14 with pannier's installed is just hard to get on, and I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I have yet to get to sit on an FJR since the demo ride to see if I still think the ergonomics are better but right now I am leaning towards getting an FJR. Anyone else think the FJR is easier to mount than the C14?

Just got back from a Yamaha Dealer who had an FJR on the floor to compare getting on and off an FJR to the C14 as per my post above. The FJR is unquestionably easier to get on and off than the C14. The FJR is not as cramped as the C14 between the side stand, the left foot peg, and the left pannier for when you prepare to mount the bike. And my 34" inseam leg did not automatically rub my right foot on the right pannier when mounting. The FJR also has a smaller, lighter feel. The ability to easily hop on and off of bike, especially for short hops around town is very important to me. The C14 seat seemed a little more comfy and the C14 probably has more wind protection, which would be better in colder weather but worse in warmer weather. The C14 is probably a slightly better long haul touring bike than the FJR, but the FJR is probably a much better bike for everyday riding and commuting. So, for a person like me who is looking for the best overall bike, and realizing there will always be compromises, I think the FJR will be my next bike.

Just got back from a Yamaha Dealer who had an FJR on the floor to compare getting on and off an FJR to the C14 as per my post above. The FJR is unquestionably easier to get on and off than the C14. The FJR is not as cramped as the C14 between the side stand, the left foot peg, and the left pannier for when you prepare to mount the bike. And my 34" inseam leg did not automatically rub my right foot on the right pannier when mounting. The FJR also has a smaller, lighter feel. The ability to easily hop on and off of bike, especially for short hops around town is very important to me. The C14 seat seemed a little more comfy and the C14 probably has more wind protection, which would be better in colder weather but worse in warmer weather. The C14 is probably a slightly better long haul touring bike than the FJR, but the FJR is probably a much better bike for everyday riding and commuting. So, for a person like me who is looking for the best overall bike, and realizing there will always be compromises, I think the FJR will be my next bike.
Re: The (seat?) comfort which it seems you are alluding to above. Lots on this topic, and many really expensive bikes have notoriously uncomfortable stock seats and it seems the conventional wisdom is to modify/upgrade the stock seat. In this regard the FJR is no exception.

But, you don't have to spend a ton to buy one of the expensive custom seats.

For what it's worth, I just cut down/modified my stock '06 FJR seat as per guidance/ideas on https://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

It feels way better than stock as I've now removed the forward pitch (which tends to shove the family jewels into the tank) and widened it with a slight concave dip in the center to cup your back side. - all with a simple bread knife and grinder.

Best of all, the stock seat cover fits back on and to the untrained eye it doesn't even look like the seat is modified. It's only when you put your weight into the seat that the stock cover stretches and gives as you settle into the new way better seat contour that's hiding beneath.

The point here is that the FJR can have the seat made a lot more comfortable for next to nothing using tools around your garage/house.