FJR1300/AE vs BMW K1200GT ('06)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalamaro

Reaction score
I have both the FJR1300AE and the BMW K1200GT on order. It's going to be a constest as to whcih one gets here first.

Quite a few of the people on the BMW websites want to make comparisons among the FJR, BMW, and Honda ST1300. Others want to exclude the 1300 in the comparisons as they seem to think that the 1300 doesn't belong (not worthy?) in the comparison.

The BMW pricing with all of the extras will probably come in about $21,000 without any initial discounting. This will not include the NAV system, but the adjustable suspension, cruise, heated blah blah, etc. etc.

The FJR1300AE (less for the 1300) will hit at a street price of about $14,000. Not sure what else can be put on the bike.

Some points of contention are. These are not necessariy my opinons as I have never owned a Yamaha and have only seen an FJR, used, at a dealer once. Seems they never have any . . . a good sign to me!

1. BMW fit finish better

2. BMW more HP (157 vs 145 not official I don't think)

3. BMW better Power/Weight Ratio

4. BMW 3-year warranty

5. BMW 6-speed xmission

7 BMW better suspension

8.BMW better amenities e.g. cruise

9. FJR dealer network better/more extensive

10. FJR much less expensive

On a persoanl note, I am damn excited about the FJR1300AE and will welcome having a dealership 4 miles from my house. I personally don't think the 5-speed xmission an issue and more of a talking point (more is better?). For example, you can ride around 95% of your time on my K12S in 3rd gear (110000 rpm redline), and only shift to 6th on the interestate if you think about it!

Here's hoping that my excitement for the FJR is fulfilled. It just seems like one hell of a bike and while money not necessarily the object for me, 7 grand is nothing to sneeze at!

Happy New Year

I think for my valued opinion, it's gonna cost ya. Sounds like you can afford the likes of me. ;) :D Substantial discount for cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5 year warranty cost me $365.(~$91/yr for 4 extra years)

I'm guessing BMW won't extend to 5 years for that much.

I think Yamaha wins that one.

You and I were in the same boat.......I have chosen the FJR........Why? Several reasons,

#1. just go one of the BMW chat rooms like https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/home and check it all the post dealing with all the tech issues these guys have........They even have a section for unscrupulous dealers!!!! What really open my eyes is when I noticed a post stating that 20% of the BMWs didn't finish the Iron Butt.......while 100% of the FJRs made it....that should tell you something right there.

2. Meanwhile, I too have a Yamaha dealership almost within walking distance of me, and the BMW dealership is located on some backstreet in a suburb on the outskirts of Dallas. They also sale 4 different makes of bikes too.......I can't believe that can keep current on all the BMW service advisories while serving all these other bikes......I've also notice many people complaining about their BMW dealer closing down or dropping BMW.........

3. Not to mention, I think the price of the BMW I think will be somewhere in the 22-23K, as I converted the Price on BMWs Canadian website to U.S. dollars and that's what it came out...that makes the bike in the mid 20's after TT&L.........I don't really give a dang about the price, though. My season hockey tickets cost more than that...but I don't work on bikes as I'm a mechanical baboon....nor do I want a new set of friends (service advisors, mechanics, etc) that seem to accompany a high maintenance machine..

Yea, I just want to ride.....and maybe change the oil.......Oh, forget the damn oil too, why on earth would I want to do that, not when I got a Yamaha dealer closer to me than place I'd have to take to used oil to....

Ride ON!!!

Check out https://www.fjrtech.com/default.cfm to get some idea on neat farkles....I'm definitely gonna put (or have the dealer put) a Wilburs shock on it, along with the front fender lower extension..... I can handle glue...

Keep us informed as to what your thinking.....Inquiring minds want to know!

See ya on the road...

1. BMW fit finish better
Have you seen a new Yamaha lately? Fit/finish is pretty good

2. BMW more HP (157 vs 145 not official I don't think)
That's crank horsepower. Those numbers are irrelevant until you see rear wheel horsepower comparison done on the same dyno at the same time with both bikes. 5 different dynos will give you 5 different readings with the same bike.

3. BMW better Power/Weight Ratio
See #2

4. BMW 3-year warranty
FJR 1-year warranty free. 4 year YES warranty less than $400 from D&H

5. BMW 6-speed xmission
Been argued to death. So what.

7 BMW better suspension
Arguable. You could put top of the line suspension upgrade components (new shock, fork springs) on the FJR for anywhere around $1000-$1400.

8.BMW better amenities e.g. cruise
Can't argue with the cruise, but, what other amenities?

9. FJR dealer network better/more extensive
Agreed

10. FJR much less expensive
Agreed.

Have you compared maintenance costs such as what are the service intervals for the major repairs and how much do the cost to have done?

To me, the $7000 price difference isn't worth it, but, that's just my opinion.

Currently own a 1200RS and have a 1300AE ordered. Have you seen the GT in person. It is ugly, and this is not just my opinion. The BMW service in my town (Sacramento) has been horrible and expensive. Only one dealer in the immediate area. There are several Yamaha dealers and I'm counting on one of them to be better. I debated buying a K1200S but the high price, agressive riding position, and crummy local dealer made me decide on the Yamaha (along with the fact the FJR seems to be a way cool bike).

Regarding points #2 and #3, the Nov issue of Cycle World "Speed wagons" article showed the FJR squeaking by the K1200S in the 0-60MPH and 1/4mi tests.

Also, you might want to check if the BMW's side bag capacity is as large as the FJR's, past BMW's side bags were smallish.

Apples to Apples/ Price range I would be comparing the BMW to the Goldwing.

I think realistically the BMW is not in the same class as the FJR and ST.

If we can agree on the above statement I would then say the Goldwing wins.

Now of course the LT is more Goldwingish but at 28 grand that makes a goldwing look cheap.

BMW website lists the GT at 130hp for 05 unless they increased it that much for 06.

While you won't find me saying anything bad about the bike for that kind of money I would be expecting a lot more than what you are getting. For me if I was spending around $21,000 I would be sitting on a Wing...

My prices could be wrong as I was looking at the Canadian site as the us site wouldn't come up. Point still remains the same though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently own a 1200RS and have a 1300AE ordered. Have you seen the GT in person. It is ugly, and this is not just my opinion. The BMW service in my town (Sacramento) has been horrible and expensive. Only one dealer in the immediate area. There are several Yamaha dealers and I'm counting on one of them to be better. I debated buying a K1200S but the high price, agressive riding position, and crummy local dealer made me decide on the Yamaha (along with the fact the FJR seems to be a way cool bike).
You won't be sorry. I recommend Roseville Yamaha for service, although there are other good ones too!

A&S BMW in the Sacramento area has been a fixture here for quite some time. They enjoy a HUGE monopoly and their service has been reduced since they got bigger and since the won the CHP contract to maintain the cop beemers. They lost that contract, so their service should get bettter soon...it should considering the average BMW maint service runs about 4 times that of the Yamaha service.

Lots of good replies and if I gave the impression that it's gonna be one or the other, NOT! I will definitely take delivery on the 1300AE and in fact am wettng my pants hoping they make the delivery date!!!!

I had an 04 KGT. Shortly after getting it the fuel line leaked and had to be replaced. A month later, when the weather got cooler I experienced the cold starting problems and had the ECU replaced. Both were recall items and were replaced free.

I picked up the 05 FJR in north Georgia and rode it, trouble free, back to Albuqueruqe, NM.

I was really disappointed with the K12 after experiencing those problems on a bike and engine that were not new production models. The New K12, I'll bet will have a host of problems, but who can say??

The FJR fit and finish is as fine or better than the BMW.

I am actually a BMW fan, with an R65, R1100R and a R1150RT in the stable but for a pure sport touring bike I think the Yamaha wins any contest hands down.

BMW website lists the GT at 130hp for 05 unless they increased it that much for 06.
Sparks, the 06 GT uses a detuned K12S engine, not the brick they use in the other K models.
Ok, is that new for 06 as for 05 it listed 130?

7 BMW better suspension
Arguable. You could put top of the line suspension upgrade components (new shock, fork springs) on the FJR for anywhere around $1000-$1400.
Very true. But! And this pisses me off with every friggin Japanese brand, why the f* do I need to spend another thousand bucks to get decent suspension on a bike that, here in Holland, costs €17,000 ($20,000) new? I'd say, for that kind of money, it better be damn good stuff right from the factory.

Still love my Big Blue though. It's a great bike and a lot more value for money than any BMW.

7 BMW better suspension
Very true. But! And this pisses me off with every friggin Japanese brand, why the f* do I need to spend another thousand bucks to get decent suspension on a bike that, here in Holland, costs €17,000 ($20,000) new? I'd say, for that kind of money, it better be damn good stuff right from the factory.

Still love my Big Blue though. It's a great bike and a lot more value for money than any BMW.
The main word is compromise. Think about it. The bike has to be able to handle 2 passengers and cargo. But, it also has to be able to handle 1 rider without cargo. The passengers might be 150 lbs, the passengers might be 300 lbs. It has to be stiff enough that it provides a good sporty ride, yet soft enough that it has to be comfortable for touring. Unless you have a suspension with 4 or 5 different 'pre sets', most will just find a decent suspension set up and leave it like that for all kinds of riding and while 1-up or 2-up.

Saying that the suspension parts should be very good, well, I would argue that they are if they are able to do all of the things above plus they have some flexibility with 3 way adjustment on the front forks and 2 way adjustment on the shock.

Just curious - if it's €17K for the FJR in Holland, how much will the BMW GT cost?

7 BMW better suspension

The main word is compromise. Think about it. The bike has to be able to handle 2 passengers and cargo. But, it also has to be able to handle 1 rider without cargo. The passengers might be 150 lbs, the passengers might be 300 lbs. It has to be stiff enough that it provides a good sporty ride, yet soft enough that it has to be comfortable for touring. Unless you have a suspension with 4 or 5 different 'pre sets', most will just find a decent suspension set up and leave it like that for all kinds of riding and while 1-up or 2-up.

Saying that the suspension parts should be very good, well, I would argue that they are if they are able to do all of the things above plus they have some flexibility with 3 way adjustment on the front forks and 2 way adjustment on the shock.

Just curious - if it's €17K for the FJR in Holland, how much will the BMW GT cost?
It also comes down to the rider. I can admit I am not as good as many on this forum. I don't push the suspension like some of these guys do. In that respect this bikes suspension for me is fine. If I spent the money to upgrade I would probably just be wasting the money as again I don't push it.

bikemonster,

Depending on what side of town you're on, I'd also recommend PCP. Sierra Yamaha in Quincy is also good if you're looking for an excuse to drive up there.