FJR1300 Vs. K1200GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fair, unbiased comparison please.
Here? On this forum?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wait! I'll go first.......

FJR is the dog's danglies.

K1200GT is a turgid pig of moist ass cheese!

For more enlightenment, may I suggest the search function, as there have been a few previous threads on this subject. A couple with some actually useful info.

Taken from herehttps://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=3847&Page=4

Quote:

If concerned only with peak horsepower numbers, Beemer fans will rejoice in knowing that the GT's 124.2 ponies edges the FJR's 123.8 hp (these are the dyno rear wheel hp #s). But that doesn't even tell half the story. The 1298ccYamaha boasts an extra 141 cubes over the GT, and this gives the FJRs a significant torque advantage from the bottom through 8000 rpm. Its 86.9 lb-ft crest of torque handily overshadows the 78.2 lb-ft of the peakier BMW, and it does it 1300 revs sooner.

"You can ride the FJRs as if they were powered by a big Twin," says Duke. There's power everywhere, so the fact that its tranny is short one gear from the GT's six-speed isn't much of a disadvantage."

The differing powerbands were evident during our performance testing. The FJR-A jumped to an early lead with its bountiful torque motoring it to 60 mph a tenth of a second ahead of the K12GT. By the time the bikes cruise through the quarter-mile, they're running neck and neck. The Beemer's10.77 at 133.5 mph is just a tick longer than the FJR's 10.73 at 131.9 mph. ....

Just as the FJR-AE's auto-clutch held it back in slow-speed maneuvers, it also proved to be a hindrance during acceleration testing. It's not able to balance the clutch's friction zone and engagement modulation like an experienced tester, so Duke Danger's best pass on the AE was a lackluster 11.41 at 128.2 mph. Its 0-130-mph run was nearly 1.5 seconds slower than the standard-shift version.

Ergo The FJR is faster and costs less. :bike:

Unbiased enough? :dirol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I drove from San Diego to Thousand Oaks with cash in hand to buy ( no at such a good price it was steal) a 2004 gt. I was ready and loved the lines of the bike. I hadn't ridden on the street in ten years and was so excited to get back on the horse. After the test drive, i was way disappointed with the handling and my head told me "no" and my heart was pissed.

Among other things, I felt like the front end was mushy but questioned my decision the whole drive back and the weeks to follow since i hadn't been on a street bike in so long and even when I was last, i was just a kid (mid 20's)... and who was I to stick my nose up at a BMW?

I bought an '06 AE w/o a test ride and within 15 minutes of ownership, my decision was way confirmed. Oh and bythe way, the BMW, which was had low mileage, I could have picked up for under $8K as the guy was desperate for cash. 6 Months and 3,000 miles later I am convinced that I made the right decision for me..

To be fair, the new BMW is different but I still felt that this experience was worth sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a test ride on the beemer last week. Would I exchange my FJR for it? No.

Although the bike handled extremely well (managed to dodge a few fallen trees brought down by high winds en-route) the engine did not seem to offer a great deal more but the main problem for me was its lack of comfort (I'm 6'3" 260Llbs). The seat was causing me to squirm after about 40 mins and my shin was pushing on the clutch housing when using the rear brake which made slow speed manuevering very difficult. At the end of a 3 hour ride my backside and knees were so sore I was glad to hand it back to the dealer.

And all this is before you look at the price, by the time you add on the extras it was pushing £13750 against £11k for a FJR.

Dave

PS I also rode a K1200S at christmas which was a joy to ride and I was sorely tempted but the tank only held 17 litres and I would be looking for fuel every 110 miles. If I had the cash it would make a good replacement for my trusty but aging Bandit.

well, just the price difference alone answers all the questions that about 80% of most buyers will ask. the 2 bikes are so close in every way that most comparos are moot. the extra 5-6k more for the beemer will buy alot of farkles. one thing i haven't seen people mention, in magazines or here, is that, IIRC, the BMW has to run premium fuel, whereas the fjr only runs regular. since these bikes are designed to put serious miles on, that adds alot of cost over time and mileage. the only thing that i would prefer is a six speed tranny, but it's not enough to change my decision.