FJR1300A vs K1200GT (Real Differences)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSpy

Reaction score
Does anyone here own the two or test ridden both? I would like a second opinion on which is better(real differences), regardless of paying an extra 5K for the Beemer.

Oh and please please don't be biaised. I know I'm in an FJR forum and that some people are gonna lean more towards Yamaha but please help me out here. If you had the extra money, would you buy the Beemer or spend the extra cash on farkles etc for your FJR...

I own an FJR and have ridden a couple of GT's. I also own a BMW twin and I like BMW's in general.

If cost was not important and assuming you're Okay with the somewhat sketchy BMW reliability, I'd have to give the nod to the BMW. It's ever-so-slightly faster and has a smoother/more-turbiney feel. Might have slightly better weather protection. The electronic front suspension is more sophisticated, although I don't know if it really works that much better. It has somewhat better cornering clearance which is the big achilles heel of the FJR. The BMW has better sorted accessories - better heated grips, better bags, cruise control, etc.

The FJR is a simpler and more straightforward bike. In its 2nd generation, it is very well sorted now - it has no real weaknesses. It feels a bit more sporty to me. You odds of a trouble-free experience are much better on the Yamaha - BMW's can be finicky machines. I would never call them unreliable, but the chances of a real lemon are probably 4x higher on the BMW than on any Yamaha.

For my money, there'd be no contest - the BMW isn't worth the extra money for a bunch of gizmos and technology that really don't make the bike significantly better. But as I said, if you really don't care about the $5K and you're Okay with the BMW's reliability, I think the BMW is probably the slightly better machine.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I've own an FJR and have ridden a couple of GT's. I also own a BMW twin and I like BMW's in general.
If cost was not important and assuming you're Okay with the somewhat sketchy BMW reliability, I'd have to give the nod to the BMW. It's ever-so-slightly faster and has a smoother/more-turbiney feel. Might have slightly better weather protection. The electronic front suspension is more sophisticated, although I don't know if it really works that much better. It has somewhat better cornering clearance which is the big achilles heel of the FJR. The BMW has better sorted accessories - better heated grips, better bags, cruise control, etc.

The FJR is a simpler and more straightforward bike. In its 2nd generation, it is very well sorted now - it has no real weaknesses. It feels a bit more sporty to me. You odds of a trouble-free experience are much better on the Yamaha - BMW's can be finicky machines. I would never call them unreliable, but the chances of a real lemon are probably 4x higher on the BMW than on any Yamaha.

For my money, there'd be no contest - the BMW isn't worth the extra money for a bunch of gizmos and technology that really don't make the bike significantly better. But as I said, if you really don't care about the $5K and you're Okay with the BMW's reliability, I think the BMW is probably the slightly better machine.

- Mark
I totally agree with Mark here although I came from an old RT series to the FJR.I have a 2004 model FJR and have over 40k on the clock with it.To me the FJR represents the best of old school mixed with new technology making for a killer combo for me.I did demo a 2006 GT and did like it but my point was service availability when I got the FJR.It still is today.I love the BMW marque but I did not want to have to experience another breakdown and not be able to find a service center for over 200 miles.If money is not a problem then go with the BMW but for most of us the extra cash sure can make the FJR a primo ride.No motorcycle is perfect off the showroom and all will get some type of farkling- Dave

I rode over the the BMW dealership in Orange, CA and they were closed today? I know it is a holiday but I thought for sure they would be open. I wanted to ride the RT and the GT back to back. Afterwards the wife and I had a nice ride to Cook's Corner for a few beers. The place is packed and there must have been 200 bikes there which is always fun.

I'll add that I rented a R1200RT for a week-long Texas hill country ride a few months ago and came away disappointed. And I really wanted to like the bike since I own a R1100 twin. But the bike was very softly sprung (even with preload cranked up) and had a ponderous feel about it - nothing like the light/tight R1150RT's I've rentedi n the past. While the weather protection and windshield were exceptional, there was just way too much plastic on the bike forward - you felt like you were driving a Winnebago. And the engine, while adequate, was uninsprinng. I like the GT much better.

Truth be told, on this trip, the ST1300 that was rented by one of my buddies was the most impressive of the R1200RT and FJR in our rental group. Exceptional motor and a very buttoned down chassis that had complete control of the not insignificant weight. (The rental FJR had 26K miles on it and was very buzzy, so it didn't compare well. When I got home and started riding my relatively smooth FJR again, I realized that the rental unit was off song.) The ST had only one flaw - the infamous 120+ mph "weave" the various people have commented about over the years. The bike had it in spades and it was extremely disconcerting. If I ever bought an ST, I'd want to convince myself that this problem was solved because it was spooky as hell.

If I were buying today, it would be between the FJR and ST with the GT and RT distant thirds and fourths. I'd probably go with the FJR again because it is such a good value, has more motor than the ST, and is just so well sorted. As someone else has said, it has simple/basic technology, but it is refined and just does everything exceptionally well. My only major complain with today's FJR is the cornering clearance, but this is a problem only if you're pushing the bike pretty hard - which I occasionally do if I'm trying to keep up with my buddies on smaller/lighter bikes.

Then there's the new C14 Concours to think about. It looks like overkill at the moment, but if Kawi has managed to pack more power into a package that doesn't give away any sportiness to the FJR, then how can it not be a player?

- Mark

An easy fix for the cornering clearance is "tail risers" from Wild Hair. Basically dogbones that raise the bike. This would also change the front geometry and should make the turn in quicker. Uberkul posted the info and has them on his bike. He lives in the Sierra foothills and grinds his tires off in 4K miles, so they must work. :unsure:

I have ridden both ST and FJR. If you want slow but stable cruising pick the ST. I hate to say this but I'm still a blur rider and the FJR fits my needs. The BMW is like a Harley. Expensive to ride and not enough go....

Big Mex

BMW, has no credibility as a company.

Their bikes are not dependable. They use antiquated products on the bikes.

Their after market line are limited in value and usability.

I feel the products they produce are crap.

They don't stand behind their warranty.

They refuse to fix their mistakes. :angry2:

I have the money to buy a GT, and felt the FJR is superior bike.

I didn't need all the other crap bmw hangs on a bike.

Hell the FJR attains its horse power on regular gas, bmw needs high test.

I am riding the FJR to the next bmw rally I attend. :huh:

First of all, the real price difference OTD in today's market is closer to $8K

I love the new GT. I'd own one today except for that price difference which is not justified (in my mind) for what it buys you.

The bigger issue for me is that the rear drives on BMWs can't be trusted. The new design is failing at a rate similar to the old. No way would I buy a BMW until they nail that problem (which starts with them admitting they have a problem, not likely to be soon).

I love the new GT. I'd own one today except for that price difference which is not justified (in my mind) for what it buys you.

The bigger issue for me is that the rear drives on BMWs can't be trusted. The new design is failing at a rate similar to the old. No way would I buy a BMW until they nail that problem (which starts with them admitting they have a problem, not likely to be soon).
+1 You hit my experience right on the head.It's tough when the spline fails 200 miles from a service center

I'll add that I rented a R1200RT for a week-long Texas hill country ride a few months ago and came away disappointed. And I really wanted to like the bike since I own a R1100 twin. But the bike was very softly sprung (even with preload cranked up) and had a ponderous feel about it - nothing like the light/tight R1150RT's I've rentedi n the past. While the weather protection and windshield were exceptional, there was just way too much plastic on the bike forward - you felt like you were driving a Winnebago. And the engine, while adequate, was uninsprinng. I like the GT much better.
Truth be told, on this trip, the ST1300 that was rented by one of my buddies was the most impressive of the R1200RT and FJR in our rental group. Exceptional motor and a very buttoned down chassis that had complete control of the not insignificant weight. (The rental FJR had 26K miles on it and was very buzzy, so it didn't compare well. When I got home and started riding my relatively smooth FJR again, I realized that the rental unit was off song.) The ST had only one flaw - the infamous 120+ mph "weave" the various people have commented about over the years. The bike had it in spades and it was extremely disconcerting. If I ever bought an ST, I'd want to convince myself that this problem was solved because it was spooky as hell.

If I were buying today, it would be between the FJR and ST with the GT and RT distant thirds and fourths. I'd probably go with the FJR again because it is such a good value, has more motor than the ST, and is just so well sorted. As someone else has said, it has simple/basic technology, but it is refined and just does everything exceptionally well. My only major complain with today's FJR is the cornering clearance, but this is a problem only if you're pushing the bike pretty hard - which I occasionally do if I'm trying to keep up with my buddies on smaller/lighter bikes.

Then there's the new C14 Concours to think about. It looks like overkill at the moment, but if Kawi has managed to pack more power into a package that doesn't give away any sportiness to the FJR, then how can it not be a player?

- Mark
I agree Mark.If I were looking for a new ride then I would wait out the 30 days until the C14 gets here then compare all.The ZX14 is an incredible ride and if the C14 is anywhere close to ZX14 then it will be a sweet ride.I have also heard there will be a police version of the C14 since the KZ1000 has been discontinued so watch out squids.The heat can get you now

Sometimes I can' resist playing Devil's advocate:

BMW, has no credibility as a company. Their bikes are not dependable. They use antiquated products on the bikes.
I won't argue that they have some dependability issues, but so does every other bike made. Can you say "06 FJR Ignition Switch"? ;-)

But antiquated? Please tell us exactly what you think is "antiquated" about a current K1200GT.

Hell the FJR attains its horse power on regular gas, bmw needs high test.
There's a simple reason the BMW needs high test. It makes more power from less displacement via higher compression. Besides, people who can afford a K1200GT aren't going to worry about paying an extra $1.50 per fill-up.

-Uwe-

I think that owning a bike is an emotional decision. As soon as you start to put too much logic behind the purchase, you run into analysis paralysis. With that said, I think the GT is an awesome bike. In fact, I wouldn't mind owning one, except for the price. Frankly, the BMW is out of my price range. So, for me the decision was between a used BMW or a new FJR. With the FJR, I get the pretty much everything the GT has. What it lacks from the factory, I was able to add relatively cheap. So, the decision was easy, new FJR.

Now that I have put some miles on the bike, I can say that I love it. So, if you really want a BMW, go for it. You'll be happy and broke. However, I bet you will be just as happy with an FJR and have plenty of money left over. My 2 cents.

I will not ever buy another bmw product of any kind.

They are just a bunch of blow hards who can't back up what they say.

A friend of mine wanted to customize the bmw in my garage. Told him he can paint it, boost the horse power, and what ever he wanted, it will still be German crap. Handling will still suck, chrome will still peel, rubber will still rot, switches will still fall apart. Engine management system, fuel injectors, rear end, are crap.

I do like the brakes though.

I am only keeping this bike to tell the people that come over to me and ask " how ya like the bike". I don't hold back.

And I usually have one of my sons on the FJR and point them to it and let them know it is a better bike by far.

I will not ever buy another bmw product of any kind. They are just a bunch of blow hards who can't back up what they say.

A friend of mine wanted to customize the bmw in my garage. Told him he can paint it, boost the horse power, and what ever he wanted, it will still be German crap. Handling will still suck, chrome will still peel, rubber will still rot, switches will still fall apart. Engine management system, fuel injectors, rear end, are crap.

I do like the brakes though.

I am only keeping this bike to tell the people that come over to me and ask " how ya like the bike". I don't hold back.

And I usually have one of my sons on the FJR and point them to it and let them know it is a better bike by far.

Some of this sounds like our FJR's.

Don't think this is true, at least not if you can find GT's that are too heavily optioned and provided you negotiate just like you would with the FJR. There are many dealers selling base model GT's in the $17.5K area (+TTL), which is about $5K above the typical discounted FJR at $12.5K or so.

- Mark

(snip)
There's a simple reason the BMW needs high test. It makes more power from less displacement via higher compression. Besides, people who can afford a K1200GT aren't going to worry about paying an extra $1.50 per fill-up.

-Uwe-
So why decide to limit displacement and increase compression? Most modern engines simply don't require premium fuel. Does it somehow add to the image of owning a BMW when you pull up to the more expensive pump?

I'm not trying to bash Beemers. I looked at them pretty hard before buying my FJR, I chose the Yamaha because it met my needs better, and as a bonus, it was less expensive. Now if I can only pry my wallet open for the rest of the money the Beemer would have cost and get me that DL so I can join the guys heading to Alaska........ :eek:

Don't think this is true, at least not if you can find GT's that are too heavily optioned and provided you negotiate just like you would with the FJR. There are many dealers selling base model GT's in the $17.5K area (+TTL), which is about $5K above the typical discounted FJR at $12.5K or so.

- Mark
I based that on my experience. There aren't any discounted new GTs in this area. All come to the dealers at the base equipment level that is north of $20k and no deals to be had. FJRs can be had for under $12k new so that's where I made my comparison.

Another issue for me is dealer support. There are two BMW dealers in this area and they both suck. I'd never let either service department touch my bike.

Also keep in mind that both bikes are likely going to need seats, windshields, etc. to make them right for you. Even $5K buys a lot of that.

For me though it all comes back to that rear drive. I just won't own a bike I don't trust to take me cross-country at a moments notice with no worries of being stranded.

(snip)

-Uwe-
So why decide to limit displacement and increase compression? Most modern engines simply don't require premium fuel. Does it somehow add to the image of owning a BMW when you pull up to the more expensive pump?
Possibly because a smaller displacement engine is lighter? The K1200GT is something like 50 pounds lighter than a Gen-2 FJR, despite having more equipment. Higher compression also means (at least in theory) greater efficiency.

-Uwe-