FJRand the Harbor Freight drive in chock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk

timk
Reaction score
Which position do any of you have the back "cradle" in???? I have mine in the bottom hole, but the cradle isn't up fully when the tire is in all the way. It looks like the chin part of the fairing may hit if I go up a hole. Did you modify the chock, or are you not hitting the fairing??? Thanks

Which position do any of you have the back "cradle" in???? I have mine in the bottom hole, but the cradle isn't up fully when the tire is in all the way. It looks like the chin part of the fairing may hit if I go up a hole. Did you modify the chock, or are you not hitting the fairing??? Thanks
Hi Tim,

I have that chock and it is great as long as the tire is really tight against the head stock. If there is any movement the bike will rock and remove the paint on the chin. I did this my first time and was pissed at myself! I leave the chock in the same position for my dirt bike and it works great. So if it is in the cradle right it will hold the bike up when you let go of the bars. I lightly strap down the front and snugly tie down the back tire so the rear doesn't move laterally. I hauled it to Washington last summer no problems at all. The first stop I checked and adjusted any movement in the straps.

Ken.

Are you talking about the 97841 big black one with the outriggers at the front? I have one, and tried it once, and Feej wouldn't stay in it, thought I was going to have to move the rocking cradle back wards (drill new hole). Maybe I should be taking another look now that you guys seem to have them working... I don't think I have the cradle in backwards...

mine has 3 verticle holes for adjustment. I raised it up a hole yeasterday,am goin to put the bike in the motorhome in a couple hrs.

If you're talking about the one that bolts in (rather than has the outriggers), the FJR will fit with the cradle in the middle holes, however, it was a royal pain to back it out. I moved it down to the lower holes, and while it doesn't hold as tightly, I strap the bike in tighter to compensate.

Are you talking about the 97841 big black one with the outriggers at the front? I have one, and tried it once, and Feej wouldn't stay in it, thought I was going to have to move the rocking cradle back wards (drill new hole). Maybe I should be taking another look now that you guys seem to have them working... I don't think I have the cradle in backwards...

YZ, you definitely want the tapered end of the cradle facing the fairing. It takes a firm tug to back it out but I like the security of the fit.

YZ, you definitely want the tapered end of the cradle facing the fairing. It takes a firm tug to back it out but I like the security of the fit.
Yes! I moved it up to the middle hole. It clears by a hair, and very solid. Wife gonna be happy, I had to talk her thru every time with the ratchet straps with the other chock> Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is the chock in question when I was taking measurements and before I moved it to the second hole:

BikeonChock.jpg

I think you have to use the middle hole to make sure the tire is off the base and really grabs the tire.

085203d2.jpg

CDC, I've got the exact same trailer and chock setup but haven't used it to haul the bike yet. I believe I put the chock about 6-8 inches further forward though. Does it pull nice and straight for ya? I've used the trailer for moving some furniture a few times and couldn't hardly tell it was back there!

CDC, I've got the exact same trailer and chock setup but haven't used it to haul the bike yet. I believe I put the chock about 6-8 inches further forward though. Does it pull nice and straight for ya? I've used the trailer for moving some furniture a few times and couldn't hardly tell it was back there!
The chock that I was speaking of is the black one about two feet long with the stabilizer legs in front. I checked mine and the moveable headstock is in the second hole from the front. I think it cost $60.00 back when I bought it.

Well, I definitely had mine set up wrong... thanks, Scube. By the tapered end of the cradle, you mean the shorter end that stands only 3" high when flipped, vs. the "right way" (as pictured in the constructions, longer end to the rear) which is 5" tall when flipped up?

I tested it with a spare tire, and moved the vertical bracket to the third hole from the front... snug, but second hole seemed too loose for my liking... have not tested with the bike yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I definitely had mine set up wrong... thanks, Scube. By the tapered end of the cradle, you mean the shorter end that stands only 3" high when flipped, vs. the "right way" (as pictured in the constructions, longer end to the rear) which is 5" tall when flipped up?

I tested it with a spare tire, and moved the vertical bracket to the third hole from the front... snug, but second hole seemed too loose for my liking... have not tested with the bike yet.
Yz,

Mine will stand up on it's own with the headstock in the 2nd hole from the front and is fairly easy to back out.I would definitely go with what makes me feel safest.As long as the cradle is down with the tire the bike won't move. Happy Thanksgiving!

My chock location has to do with the tongue weight as I wanted about 105lbs as I will pull with a VW Rabbit.

I only took the trailer for a short test ride @ 60 mphand it felt ok.