Flip-A-Lever for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
Hi, and happy thanksgiving to all!

I have a flip a lever on my '03 meanstreak. I looked at it yesterday and it appears with a new L shaped bracket I could mount this on my fjr using the two screws in the throttle cable housing. might have to replace the stock housing screws with something 1/16" longer.

Did the search for +flip +lever and didn't find anything directly related.

Has anyone done this?

Between the throttle rocker and the flip a lever on my meanstreak I never wanted anything more in the way of cruise control. The rocker was fine for 90% of the time and occassionally I'd switch over to the flip a lever to give my arm a break on long trips. this seems like worth a try since it would cost me next to nothing.

:blink: "Flip-A-Lever".... say what, now? Is this a throttle lock you are referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink: "Flip-A-Lever".... say what, now? Is this a throttle lock you are referring to?
this guy somewhere made these flip-a-lever devices. attaches to the throttle cable housing on my mean streak. coming out about 3/4" perpendicular to the cable housing and in parallel with the throttle grip is a small neoprene rod with a swivel lever on the top end. You get the throttle where you want it and flip a lever adn the neo rod come into contact with the grip and holds it where you have it. It is tight enough to hold it but you can still tweak the throttle up or down if you need to. to release it you flip the lever back up. It is strictly a friction hold device. if you have a lot of hills it isn't very useful as you see about 10mph +/- when you go up or down hills after setting it. but for trips across Kansas or about anywhere when you only want a few minutes of rest for the arm/wrist it is fine.

this link below apprears to be an older version. the one I have doesn't have a spring.

https://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100g...ever/index.html

It's a throttle lock. It's an early edition throttle lock that uses that small tapped hole in the bottom of the throttle housing, but throttle lock none-the-less. There are tons of mfg's for them. Look around. I have a Vista-Cruize, I think...

I have a flip-a-lever on my older BMW. Are we talking the same thing? It has an adjustable throttle screw with a locking lever. The web site appears to be closed at Schneiders Inc in Superior Montana. www.schneidersinc.com 406 822 4811

Looks like it would work and you could even make it yourself, but a number of us have used a VistaCruise. Mine was on sale for $20, it which looks a lot cleaner, and was easy to install.

Vista install

VistaCruise.jpg

Versus Flip A Lever:

Clicky

I had a flip-a-lever on my Mean Streak. Looked like ass and chewed the shit out of my grips. I bought a NEP throttle lock for $12 bucks for the FJR. Kitties Titties.

I have a flip-a-lever on my older BMW. Are we talking the same thing? It has an adjustable throttle screw with a locking lever. The web site appears to be closed at Schneiders Inc in Superior Montana. www.schneidersinc.com 406 822 4811
probably are talking the same thing. the mfgr is out of business, I guess.

Looks like it would work and you could even make it yourself, but a number of us have used a VistaCruise. Mine was on sale for $20, it which looks a lot cleaner, and was easy to install.Vista install

VistaCruise.jpg

Versus Flip A Lever:

Clicky
well, I have the flippin lever and can get a small L bracket cheap and like the challenge of a little fabrication so I figure why not. The picture of the fal that is posted is a lot different from mine. Mine is pretty non-descript and looks better than the large plastic vista. but, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and if this doesn't work out I will probably go with the vista until I can manage an automatic (?) cruise control.

I had a flip-a-lever on my Mean Streak. Looked like ass and chewed the shit out of my grips. I bought a NEP throttle lock for $12 bucks for the FJR. Kitties Titties.
we probably had the same fal unit. IMO the fal is not bad looking and just sits up and back and pretty much blended in. I never had any trouble with it chewing up my aftermarket grips. In my case the neoprene pin/rod on the fal contacted with a metal grip. I could clamp it down and then make minor adjustments up or down in throttle and it never chewed into the grip. your results obviously varied.

I'll check out the NEP TL, though. Thanks for the tip!

and it never chewed into the grip. your results obviously varied.I'll check out the NEP TL, though. Thanks for the tip!
Well to be fair, my 05 has a full Neoprene grip with no metal ring from the factory.

I ended up buying the NEP lock for a Suzuki. These types of locks are designed to hook around the cables on the switch box. The Yamaha designated ones were in the wrong position for the FJR. The Suzuki ones were perfecto though.

I ended up selling the Flip-A-Lever to some guy off the Vulcan forum - he sent me payment as a USPS postal money order. Can't cash it in Canada *@#^@&^

Know anybody who wants a pristine 05 Mean Streak with 28Km on the clock for oh...$9000 Cdn?

Bungie,

the vulcan forum guys are pretty decent. any chance you cuold send the mo back and get something you could cash?

I'm strongly considering trying my MS for sale after newyears. Its an '03 with 25,000 and stock on the engine and suspension. good luck with your sale.

Latest posts