Floorboards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
I have a small "business" making custom parts for the Vulcan 750.

https://www.metriccustomcreations.com/

I make floorboards for both the rider and passenger. I realize the idea of putting such a thing on the FJR may not be "in keeping with it's intent" but would like to know if anyone would be intrested in such an item for the FJR1300.

The ones I sell now for the Vulcan, do not require re-ajusting the brake or shifter, and do not decrease corning clearence...So , I likely would keep the same considerations if making some for the FJR.

Or would these just not be cool?

Knifemaker

Or would these just not be cool?
supergay.gif

j/k, Knifemaker.... :lol: I have seen floorboards on the FJR for the pillion, where they might make a little more sense, but they would be out of place for the pilot, IMO..... possibly, it might even impact the ability to shift cleanly/quickly, now that I think about it....

But I bet there might be some pillions that would thank you for some floorboards....

..... possibly, it might even impact the ability to shift cleanly/quickly, now that I think about it....
Warchild, you just haven't seen the latest in super sport heel-toe shifters. :agent:

Seriously though, yea, a lot of pillions would probably go for something. Maybe some pilots, depending on what they're like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if you can make one of those hemmoroid donut thingies fit the front seat I'm in!

But floorboards??? That would be the Goldwing site. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones I sell now for the Vulcan, do not require re-ajusting the brake or shifter, and do not decrease corning clearence.
Not decreasing cornering clearance on a Vulcan isn't the same thing as not decreasing cornering clearance on a Sport Touring bike. Technically, the foot pegs on the FJR decrease cornering clearance as they are usually the first thing to touch down.

Find a way to make them fit for the passenger (which is mounted higher and tucked up above the base of the saddle bag and exhaust) might work.

If you actually look at his design, I don't think it would impend shifting or breaking, especially if your controls are adjusted a little lower than normal. They utilize a stock, or near stock peg base, so the cornering clearnance should be the same as stock.

That being said, I don't think it's something I'd be interested in. I'm fine with the pegs, and I have a hard enough time getting to the side stand with my size 14 riding boots.

Pillions should have their feet on the pegs or on your shoulders for the ride after the ride... floorboards on an FJR? :haha:

I think when I say "floorboards" you folks conjure up images of Goldwing/Harleyesque slabs of metal the size of toasters. My concept for the FJR is more of an "extended" pad. If you look at the drivers footpeg , you will see it has a rubber pad roughly 4 inches long and about 1-3/4 inches wide. What my intention to do is to make the pad wider so it's more like 4 X 4..This will give the rider a more secure spot to rest the balls of his feet when agressivally cornering, and will keep the front edge of the pad in the same position..meaning you should be able to shift or brake exactly the same.

The passenger "floorboards" would mount in the opposite way..allowing more room forward of the stock peg.

Both would still fold up in the normal way.

Of course I still have to wait until I have my bike before I can start on any fabrication of either of these...but this would be the basic concept of their design.

Knifemaker

If you can incorporate a shift slightly forward, down and outward, but not enough to effect clearance, I would be interested. Something along the lines of the current peg extenders already available, but in a 1 piece design. I'm not sure a 4in. x 4in foot rest is required, but them what the heck do I know. I would only be interested if your design would still fold away when not being used. If you get a prototype set made up, would you be willing for my passenger to try it out?

Please keep me posted on what you come up with. ;)

I likely will not have the actual placement moved, but will just be increasing the surface area available. If your not sure what improvement a 4x4 pad would have,

stand on the balls of your feet with your riding boots on and measure the area of contact with the ground. Larger surface areas increase traction , and any one should be able to see that standing on the balls of your feet on the edge of a 2x4 is less comfortable than standing that way on the wider side.

If you look at the passenger boards I make for the Vulcan:

https://tinyurl.com/9tm7r

You can see they offer the passenger a larger area , and let their feet move forward a bit. The drivers boards pictured are llikely too long for the FJR , but are in fact no wider than the stock pads.

I will post photos of what I come up with and will offer a try them first then buy them deal for the passenger boards.

Knifemaker

You are free to see any of my photos at my yahoo site below:

https://photos.yahoo.com/knifemaker1954