Fluid capacity of rear diff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve's FJR

Reaction score
So...I would like to change the rear diff gear oil in my 05' FJR and I have spent the last hour searching through various threads for the capacity and tutorials on the job. It looks like it takes about a cup or so of gear oil and I have a nice new quart of Mobil 1 75w-90 ready to go in. What I can't find in my searching is the actual procedure. I know I have to remove the fill plug, then remove the drain plug and drain the stanky jizz into a suitable container. Once drained, I put a new crush washer on the drain bolt and replace the bolt and torque. Now, what I want to know is do I fill the rear diff until it flows out the fill hole, or do I pre-measure the oil with a measuring apparatus and only install a specified amount??? I can't seem to find any literature on this short of purchasing a factory manual...

Thanks in advance :)

So...I would like to change the rear diff gear oil in my 05' FJR and I have spent the last hour searching through various threads for the capacity and tutorials on the job. It looks like it takes about a cup or so of gear oil and I have a nice new quart of Mobil 1 75w-90 ready to go in. What I can't find in my searching is the actual procedure. I know I have to remove the fill plug, then remove the drain plug and drain the stanky jizz into a suitable container. Once drained, I put a new crush washer on the drain bolt and replace the bolt and torque. Now, what I want to know is do I fill the rear diff until it flows out the fill hole, or do I pre-measure the oil with a measuring apparatus and only install a specified amount??? I can't seem to find any literature on this short of purchasing a factory manual...

Yup. 'Zactly right. Just fill it on the center stand until it runs out the fill hole.

PS - it's in the owners manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few notes;

1) Drain it when it is warm if you can

2) Be cautious when you tighten the drain bolt, be gentle as not to strip the threads

3) 200 ml is the amount mentioned in the manual - this should bring it to the bottom of the threads of the fill hole

Canadian FJR

drain (i let mine drain for a bit to be sure it's as good as it can get)

fill (i fill to the top of the thread, let it settle, top off if needed, wipe excess off, cap and wipe again)

So...I would like to change the rear diff gear oil in my 05' FJR ...It looks like it takes about a cup or so of gear oil ...

...what I want to know is (1) do I fill the rear diff until it flows out the fill hole, or (2) do I pre-measure the oil with a measuring apparatus and only install a specified amount???

1 cup = 8 fl.oz. -- the FJR requires 200 ml. in the rear-drive gearcase (there is no differential...) -- 200 ml. = 6.76 fl.oz. (so, a cup would be too much).

Of the two methods you describe, the second (2) would be more accurate/precise. Depending on the meniscus and/or surface tension-cohesion of your lubricant of choice (and visual parallax) -- error can/may be introduced (?).

Draining and pre-measuring seems to be a no-brainer... :blink: ;)

You're welcome

I disagree (sort of). You never know how thoroughly the punkin' has drained, or how well your measuring device will drain, so filling till it pukes out the fill port is the way to go, IMO. I do not really think it is possible to over fill one of these things unless you do something really silly like spin the wheel and have the gears glom up a bunch of lube then immediately fill it till it pukes and stick the fill plug in. All in all it really isn't worth worrying about