Foam Plugs for Etymotic ER6i's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I managed to tear up one of the foam plugs for my Etymotic ER6i's this morning, which were getting a little dirty anyway, and I was wondering what people have used to replace the stock foam plugs.

I know I can order the stock ones from Etymotic, 3 sets for $14.00, but I was wondering if anyone has found anything better?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the rubber plugs. I think they work better than the foam. At least they do for me. Have you tried the rubber?

I use the 3-flange rubber inserts myself. When they wore out, i found some replacements on e-bay. Shop around tho. There were some replacement tips that looked like they were made for Etymotics, but not necessarily by them. I got mine from some dude in Canadia. I think i got preferential treatment tho, since Bearly Flying made me an official Canadia adoptee at NAFO. They were cheaper than ordering direct from the manufacturer, even with shipping. Just a thought.

Well, being "Mr. Impatient" I went ahead and ordered some replacement plugs from Etymotic just now. As a heads up to anyone looking to order some of these, DO NOT GO BY THE COLOR. They are in the process of changing the sizing, and you cannot rely on the color for sizing. I called Etymotic, and they were very helpful. 5 pairs for $14.00, in the new "Grey" color.

The rubber ones were great for awhile. Then when I did my BBG out to NAFO, I found that they were not holding their seal, and they were making my ears REALLY soar. I changed to the foam after reading some reports here, and they are WAY better for me.

I used the rubber ones for over a year, but for me the foam is just a million times more comfortable, especially for the "Long Days."

The foamies wear out and the Ety's plastic flanges made my ears sore too, so I stuck the tips from my hearing aids on the Ety's. Much more comfy and softer, but a little harder to insert (and they seal WAY down in the ear canal). These tips come in several sizes, and I think they cost $2 / pair.

The tips are for the SeboTek 700-series.. not sure where to find them online, might need to hit up your local hearing aid dispenser.

Yeah, I usually get a good seal on my disposable earplugs...but then find out they're in so deep that I can't remove them and have to rely on a buddy to almost do brain surgery to remove them with the needle nose pliers. :lol:

true story. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I usually get a good seal on my disposable earplugs...but then find out they're in so deep that I can't remove them and have to rely on a buddy to almost do brain surgery to remove them with the needle nose pliers. :lol:
I can attest to that. I'm not sure about the brain part though. :p

Dr. Griff and his trusty needle nose pliers.

The Ety ER-4 tips fit on the ER-6i's. They come in different sizes & can be found for less than $2 a set. I think the last ones I bought were 14 (7 sets) for $10. I like the small black ones best. They seem to fit my canal the best without irritation after 14-16 hours :)

Dr. Rocket would have been happy to break out the dental tools and help Wheaton with his plugs. But like Dr. Griff sed, the "brain" part is in serious question.

TT, I tried to roll my own Etymotic plugs and gave up. Ordered the foamies, back when they were 3 grays for whatever $. Now I killed my first set of ER6i's and have a black set on the way. NEW FOAMIES!

I emailed Etymotic and axed them how to get the wax out of the plugs. They never got back to me.

I tried to convert to the flange plugs. I too found that after a short while, my ears HURT. The foams, however, I can wear all day. But after a while, I just forgo the tunes and stick foam earplugs in... and pray for a good seal that doesn't break when I pull my helmet on.

I can attest to that. I'm not sure about the brain part though. :p

Dr. Griff and his trusty needle nose pliers.