FOBO T-Stem install woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Months ago bought 4 FOBOS T-stems for both FJR's.

Today attempted install - epic fail.

Here's how FOBO says they install...

Problem is that the rim ID is 9.4mm and the widest point, OD, of 'Rubber Grommet 1' (RG1) is 14 mm.

No way does the threaded portion of the valve stem pass through RG1 without splaying too far out, preventing even partial insertion into rim hole.

Interestingly enough, RG1 fits better when inserted upside down, e.g. 'backwards' from inside of rim poking up to the outside world.

So I gave up and used a new 90 degree metal stem instead of the trick T-Stem.

Has anyone had success with FOBO T-stem?

If so, what am I missing?

Fobo.jpg

I've installed two sets, one on the FJR and the other on my Wee.  Both went well and have been trouble free through a couple of tire changes.

The FJR's rim hole is 11.3mm correct?  Not 8.3?  And do the other parts (RG2, washer and o-ring) also have trouble fitting over the lower valve-stem?  They have to be all the same ID I'd guess.

Interestingly enough, RG1 fits better when inserted upside down, e.g. 'backwards' from inside of rim poking up to the outside world.
How their diagram shows the curvature of the rim; it seems like the valve stem unit is shown mounted upside down. 

I could be wrong. 😎

I've installed two sets, one on the FJR and the other on my Wee.  Both went well and have been trouble free through a couple of tire changes.

The FJR's rim hole is 11.3mm correct?  Not 8.3?  And do the other parts (RG2, washer and o-ring) also have trouble fitting over the lower valve-stem?  They have to be all the same ID I'd guess.
Yes, the rim hole is 11.3 mm. The other parts fit over the threaded stem area. It's snug but good.

How their diagram shows the curvature of the rim; it seems like the valve stem unit is shown mounted upside down. 

I could be wrong. 😎
I tried installing RG1 inside the rim, where tire pressure is, and it did fit better than from outside air going into the tire recess area. But it still didn't look right. I'll break the tire down again today and see if it looks different with the dawn of a new day.

You are looking in line with the wheel, not across it.
mcatrophy, are you saying RG1 should be installed from inside the rim poking out towards the rim hub? Are you agreeing with kmanflyer? 

Yes, the rim hole is 11.3 mm. The other parts fit over the threaded stem area. It's snug but good.

I tried installing RG1 inside the rim, where tire pressure is, and it did fit better than from outside air going into the tire recess area. But it still didn't look right. I'll break the tire down again today and see if it looks different with the dawn of a new day.

mcatrophy, are you saying RG1 should be installed from inside the rim poking out towards the rim hub? Are you agreeing with kmanflyer? 
I suspect we might have a semantic language difference here (what we mean by "inside the rim"). What I am saying is that you are looking from the front of the bike at the lower part of the rim, the hub above, beneath what it shows would be the tyre and the ground. I presume the rubber grommet 1 and the stem are between the rim and the hub (so still visible after the tyre is mounted), the rest is put in with the tyre removed through from the hidden side of the rim. Hope that clears up what I think.

But I have never seen one of these in the flesh.

I've installed 4 of these unit and don't remember having any trouble.  As I recall it looked a lot like those pictures, Don.  I may have put a little tire mounting lube on the RG1 to help insertion.

I love my FOBO setup. Good stuff.

I am sorry. I was looking at the diagram incorrectly. It is as mcatrophy graciously pointed out an inline or front/rear cross section of the rim. I was seeing side view.

Good thing I'm not in charge of building satellites, they'd all be pointing the wrong direction.😊

The nice forum members pdf link above seems quite clear on how to install correctly.

Well, I gave up for now. 

Was going to try the rear rim when changing that tire. Then forgot all about it! So now I have a blue 90 degree stem up front and silver 90 degree on back. Oh well. They are leak proof and that's what counts.

The real issue is my front rim stem ID is 9.3 mm, 9.4 tops. And I didn't want to drill it out until more research done.

So until another 5k miles or so, the waiting game for resolution.

Well, I gave up for now. 

Was going to try the rear rim when changing that tire. Then forgot all about it! So now I have a blue 90 degree stem up front and silver 90 degree on back. Oh well. They are leak proof and that's what counts.

The real issue is my front rim stem ID is 9.3 mm, 9.4 tops. And I didn't want to drill it out until more research done.

So until another 5k miles or so, the waiting game for resolution.
Use those new reamers I gave you and take a little at a time until it fits right.

Something still doesn't sound right DC. As previously mentioned, FJR wheels have a 11.3 mm valve stem opening.

Is this the original rim? What stem was originally in it?

~G

Something still doesn't sound right DC. As previously mentioned, FJR wheels have a 11.3 mm valve stem opening.

Is this the original rim? What stem was originally in it?

~G
Well, uh, ~G, the original stem was rubber and came from Yamaha! 😂😂

Since I forgot to check the rear rim stem id, I'm going to wait until next tire change.

Another mystery of life remains a mystery..

Me thinks I'll ride up to your hood and have you fix it for me!

Never heard of an FJR stem being anything other than 11.3 mm.  Was that wheel replaced after you had your Bambi encounter?  Wondering if there was a reason the wheel might be different...

Well, uh, ~G, the original stem was rubber and came from Yamaha! 😂😂

Me thinks I'll ride up to your hood and have you fix it for me!
So...if the rubber stem came from Yamaha something's really strange size wise. Garage is open whenever you want to make the trip!!

~G