Fog free helmet needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on a helmet or accessory that will stop the fogging inside my helmet faceshield. Coming from a sportbike with minimal windshield, I never had much problem because there's always good airflow across the helmet to keep it clear. Now riding my 07 FJR with stock windshield, I can't raise the windshield up all the way on those cold mornings or my faceshield will fog up. My Shoei RF900 needs air to the chin vent so air keeps blowing across the inside of the shield.

I would really like to try a larger windshield on the bike for better wind protection in the winter, but as it is I can't even use all of the stock one until I resolve the fogging problem. So I'm hoping one of you resident experts can give me some ideas. Bonus points for someone living in a cold, wet climate like here in Seattle where things tend to fog up easily.

I've tried various fog sprays including my latest product, Zooke anti-fog lens cleaner. None work very well. I also installed a Foggy mask by Respro, which helped some. I don't remember when I bought that helmet, but it (and the shield) could be as old as 10 years. Probably time for a new helmet, but which one won't fog up? Are new shields better?

Added on edit: before anyone jumps on my case for wearing a 10 year old helmet, I checked and it's only 4.5 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a Scorpion EXO400 just for this reason. I sweat, therefore I am. The winters in S Texas are humid but cool and about as fog inducing as one can get inside a lid. The Scorpion works as advertised but one must use the clear shields as the colored ones do not have whatever coating makes these work. And I've been appraised that the clear ones usually need replacement after 3-4 years however they are much more reasonable than my Arai. Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Bobby

I simply crack the face shield open a bit.
That's what I had been doing as well, but now that I have heated gear and am riding when it is even colder, I am also looking for a fogging solution. Letting in any more cold air than I really have to is not my idea of fun. Seems like my X-11 fogs even worse than some of my previous helmets, but I could just have selective memory.

I've tried various fog sprays including my latest product, Zooke anti-fog lens cleaner.
The Zooke anti-fog lens cleaner didn't work great, but, the Zooke Z-Wax works great for me.

If you have any (scuba) dive shops local, there are quite a few anti-fog products that divers use on their masks that might work (disclaimer - I have not done research on this and am not responsible if damage occurs to shields)

I simply crack the face shield open a bit.
That's what I had been doing as well, but now that I have heated gear and am riding when it is even colder, I am also looking for a fogging solution. Letting in any more cold air than I really have to is not my idea of fun. Seems like my X-11 fogs even worse than some of my previous helmets, but I could just have selective memory.
Wow I was just going to post that my X-11 does not fog at all ever. But I am in Florida and always leave the chin vent open, I will have to test it with it closed and see if I fog at all.

Before the X-11 I used PJ's and it worked but needed to be applied after cleaning the inside of the shield.

Seconding the use of FogCity inserts or picking up a Scorpion helmet if you can get a good fit.

The only helmet I've ever had that didn't need a FogCity insert was a Scorpion - their clear face shields have the best fog resistance I've ever seen. And if you're really hardcore about your winter riding, you can get a dual-pane electrically heated snowmobile shield conversion kit to swap onto the helmet. I couldn't get a good fit without going a size up, but it worked out as a winter helmet since I wear a balaclava underneath and it took up the extra space.

If you'd rather keep your current helmet, go with a FogCity insert. They will cause halos and a bit of glare at night, but they will let you keep your visor locked down without fogging up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a fog city, don't wait until the last minute to put it in. I put one on one night when it got cold and my shield was fogging up. All it did was trap the fog between the fog city and the shield. Almost died that night.

The last issue of MCN had a review on a product call "Cat Crap." Of course, I can't find the issue now.

Who's got that issue?

Hate pinlock. I had three different inserts and they're optically crap. Fine middle of the day (sort of) but dangerous when the light gets low.

Cat crap is a pasty substance that you wipe on and buff off. Works ok and better than applications that are spray on (too thin).

I have a Suomy Extreme. Really pricey helmet, but doesn't fog, and scores extremely well on the transferring low gs to your head. Search on Suomy. There is also a helmet survey you can search for with lots of opinions on fogging.

Scorpion Exo-700 here and again, zero-fog. Granted, so far it's only gotten down to 38f on my morning ride to work, but I got no fog what so ever.

My wife and I have tried the zook stuff on previous helmets to no avail. We've tried a few other things and had been in search of the elusive "cat crap" but never found it. Now with the Scorpion, I have no need. Only thing that sucks is if I wear my glasses rather then contacts, my glasses will fog. Can't win them all.