Follow up to: How could I have been so irresponsible?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
A week or so ago, I posted about my experience using silicone caulk to attach Honda heated grips to my FJR. It was an experiment gone wrong. The stuff never cured enough to even get out of the garage. So I cleaned everything off and tried again using Duro All Purpose Spray Adhesive. This seemed to work, so I posted to let everyone know that this was the stuff to use...and it was...until I got out on the road and cranked up my new heated grips. Yikes! After a couple miles I found I was repositioning my right hand over and over. What the...? Yup...the Duro stuff had melted and my grips were slipping all over the place. Made for an interesting ride that I never wish to repeat.

Back home I parked the bike and immediately drove to the nearest bike dealer...Freedom Harley Davidson. Usually, I avoid this place like the plague, but it was close to home and I was too frustrated to make the ride to my favorite local Yammie dealer. Anyway, I figgered that even if the bar and shield logo was on their grip glue packaging, none of my friends would know the difference. Son of a gun...they had just what I needed...a product called ThreeBond 1501C Griplock, and after cleaning all that goopy sticky crap off my grips and bars for the second time, I put my grips back on and it actually worked. This stuff is the shit!

So, what have I learned? My list of ineffective ways to mount handrips has increased in length.

Based on my own personal experience, do NOT use the following glues or adhesives to mount your heated grips:

• Silicone Caulk -- It will not cure (unless you use the RTV type as someone else has pointed out).
  • Duro All Purpose Adhesive Spray -- Cures fine at ambient temperature, but liquifies when heated.
  • Hairspray -- Although there are individuals who are willing to ignore the fact that is is water soluable.
  • Epoxy -- Works fine, but very permanent. If you ever need to remove them, your grips will have to be cut off, which is not always desireable.

Based on my own personal experience, DO use the following to mount your heated grips:

• Three Bond 1501C Griplock Handgrip Adhesive

I am certain I have offended someone with this post by dissing their favorite grip glue. However, I tend to put more stock in the lessons I have personally learned in the school of hard knocks. So, as for you, you can do whatever you want with your own grips. So there.

[quote name='Mackeroni' date='Oct 17 2009, 01:35 PM' post='658929'

I am certain I have offended someone with this post by dissing their favorite grip glue. However, I tend to put more stock in the lessons I have personally learned in the school of hard knocks. So, as for you, you can do whatever you want with your own grips. So there.

I have used hairspray on several bikes and it's worked fine for many years. However, that was not with heated grips so I can't speak to that. Thanks for sharing, though.

I installed the BMW Sports grips this past week:

~ Used a screw driver to lift the edge up and injected some alcohol under the stock grips...a few twists and they slid off.

~ I installed the BMW grips with no glue

~ Let them sit for a couple days

~ Checked and there were secure as the strock ones were

~ Rode today with no issues

Saw this technique on the best damn source for getting stuff done...FJRForum!!

Is glue really necessary? Maybe with heated grips?

I have used this Grip Glue sold by California Sport Touring, with heated grips, it works well and comes off without big problems when you want to change grips. I have also used hair spray before but the grip was flaky, it really depends on how tight the new grips fit as to how well the hair spray will work.

Grip Glue

Specially formulated for new grip compounds - other glues may actually dissolve grips. Dries overnight. Available in 10ml tubes; just right for three sets of grips.Product Code: 16900

Price: $3.50

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the BMW Sports grips this past week:~ Used a screw driver to lift the edge up and injected some alcohol under the stock grips...a few twists and they slid off.

~ I installed the BMW grips with no glue

~ Let them sit for a couple days

~ Checked and there were secure as the strock ones were

~ Rode today with no issues

Saw this technique on the best damn source for getting stuff done...FJRForum!!

Is glue really necessary? Maybe with heated grips?
I was installing the Honda heated grips on my FJR. I would never have gotten away without using glue on the throttle side. The fit was a bit sloppy on my OEM throttle tube. I even had to apply three strips of tape longitudinally to tighten things up a bit. The Honda throttle tubes must be just a bit larger than ours.

The factory heated grip kit I got from a dealer via ebay contained a tube of Yamabond. Worked great, no issues.
I think I saved close to $200 by going with the Honda kit versus the FJR OEM grips, so I did not mind having to pay $4 for a tube of Griplock. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that Honda did not include the glue in the kit, though.

The factory heated grip kit I got from a dealer via ebay contained a tube of Yamabond. Worked great, no issues.
I think I saved close to $200 by going with the Honda kit versus the FJR OEM grips, so I did not mind having to pay $4 for a tube of Griplock. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that Honda did not include the glue in the kit, though.
Saved close to $200? :blink:

I've got these on my FJR with a heat-troller. Haven't had to change the grips yet and ideally they'd be a bit warmer on the clutch side than they are, but $200 for grip heaters? :blink:

Why'd ya go OEM (albeit Honda OEM) as opposed to aftermarket? (I'm popping in way late here, so I probably missed something key. :) )

Rancho

Saved close to $200? :blink:

I've got these on my FJR with a heat-troller. Haven't had to change the grips yet and ideally they'd be a bit warmer on the clutch side than they are, but $200 for grip heaters? :blink:

Why'd ya go OEM (albeit Honda OEM) as opposed to aftermarket? (I'm popping in way late here, so I probably missed something key. :) )

Rancho
The $200 is a rough estimate of the difference between Yamaha's OEM kit for the FJR at around $350, and Honda's OEM kit for around $150.

I went with the Honda heated grips because...hmmm... let's see. I like the lighted switch assembly which mounts cleanly in the left panel cutout, I am hoping to avoid reliability issues that I have experienced in the past with the cheap self-adhesive style grids, I believe I am getting a more even distribution of heat to my hands than the self-adhesive grids generally provide and I liked the idea of a preassembled wiring harness to help ensure a clean installation. Oh, and they cost about $200 less than the Yamaha OEM grips.

Any other questions?

The $200 is a rough estimate of the difference between Yamaha's OEM kit for the FJR at around $350, and Honda's OEM kit for around $150.
I went with the Honda heated grips because...hmmm... let's see. I like the lighted switch assembly which mounts cleanly in the left panel cutout, I am hoping to avoid reliability issues that I have experienced in the past with the cheap self-adhesive style grids, I believe I am getting a more even distribution of heat to my hands than the self-adhesive grids generally provide and I liked the idea of a preassembled wiring harness to help ensure a clean installation. Oh, and they cost about $200 less than the Yamaha OEM grips.

Any other questions?
Thanks for answering. :)

I can't remember how I mounted the grips on my FJR after I put on the Dual Stars. Probably stole some hair spray from the redhead and no sweat, fuss nor muss since then. Mebbe different brands work differently. The grips were pretty snug, though, so that might've helped them stay on tight. BMW grips of some sort or other IIRC.

Does the switch assembly have hi/lo/off or what?

$350 for heated grips from YamaMama? That include the KY? :blink:

Rancho