Footpegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big mex

Reaction score
I have seen some of the members have footpegs on or in the sliders.. I would like to know how and where you found them.. They are not eye catching but I will be taking them on and off depending on the trip... Thanks

I got mine from a guy by the name of Ron Sampson, IIRC. PM Kaitsdad for contact info....

Installing footpegs on the sliders negates the usefulness of the sliders. Why spend money on sliders that are just going to be footpeg brackets? This whole idea seems crazy to me.
How do you figure that the usefulness of the slider is negated? It seems to me that adding footpegs just adds extra material to be ground off in a slide.

Installing footpegs on the sliders negates the usefulness of the sliders. Why spend money on sliders that are just going to be footpeg brackets? This whole idea seems crazy to me.
How do you figure that the usefulness of the slider is negated? It seems to me that adding footpegs just adds extra material to be ground off in a slide.

Harald you are right.. I've been down with and without sliders and having the footpegs would give you that little extra space. You're going to screw up bike anyway if you go down but not as bad with the sliders. I'm only using the pegs on long trips anyways...

Sliders are not there to hold your bike off the ground when it falls over from a static position; they're there to wear away gradually as your bike is sliding down the road after you've gone down while moving. And they work that way, as I can attest after a 40mph get off. If you've got a big, angular hunk of metal sticking out of the slider and you go down at speed, then that big, angular hunk of metal is what's going to hit the road first, and it's going to bend and break the slider right off. If you stick a footpeg bracket out of a slider, then you've wasted the money on the slider. Just mount the peg on a long bolt.

Sliders are not there to hold your bike off the ground when it falls over from a static position; they're there to wear away gradually as your bike is sliding down the road after you've gone down while moving. And they work that way, as I can attest after a 40mph get off. If you've got a big, angular hunk of metal sticking out of the slider and you go down at speed, then that big, angular hunk of metal is what's going to hit the road first, and it's going to bend and break the slider right off. If you stick a footpeg bracket out of a slider, then you've wasted the money on the slider. Just mount the peg on a long bolt.
In what location do I mount the peg on the long bolt

In what location do I mount the peg on the long bolt
Where you would otherwise have mounted the slider, but look, you're better off with just the sliders. When I went down on my R&Gs, there was virually no damage (other than to the slider). I was coming around a curve and hit an oil slick--looked like a truck had dumped several gallons. The bike went down and went sliding along the pavement for about 100 feet. The total damage was a few scratches to the right-side mirror, some scratches on the right muffler, some scratches on my Givi topbox. That's it. The slider absorbed everything else (about two inches of it wore away). Zero damage to the tupperware or anything else. The slider saved me a couple of thousand dollars. This would not have worked if there was a footpeg sticking out of the slider.

I'm not willing to test if your hypothesis is true or not, but I suspect it will depend on the details of your slide. Will the extra inch or two of extension of the slider cause it to break? I'm not convinced that will happen. For me personally, I plan on making some pegs to temporarily attach to my sliders for those 10 hours days. These pegs will be thin wall tubing that will easily crush and bend in a crash, so I doubt they will cause the slider to break off. The rest of the time I have no need for pegs.