For Dirty Minded FJR Forum Dual Sport Type MC Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...g12017#msg12017 There are a lot of Dual Sport Dirt Riders here on our FJR Forum: dcarver with TWN's Wabs, Ignacio with his Honda XR650 and Chris D with his KTM Big Adventure.

I wanted to share with you one of my favorite dirt routes with its start located just an hours ride from downtown Phoenix.

Route starts in Florence, Arizona going South on Highway 79. You then turn East on the Florence-Kelvin Road where the surface turns to dirt and you air down your tires now, because except for a brief 10-mile stretch it's a hundred miles of dirt.

After 25 miles of dirt you turn South on the Barkerville Road and then Southwest on Willow Springs Road for 45 more miles.

You will then be on Highway 77 riding pavement through Oracle, Arizona; home to the Biosphere, if you wanted to see it.

You then access Mount Lemmon Control Rd., 30 miles of twisty dirt switchbacks climbing 8,000 feet with spectacular views.

If FJR Forum Dual Sport Riders come to Arizona, contact me at [email protected] or 480-917-3863 and I'll guide you.

What's the longest run without a fuel stop?
Hello Phil, We topped of our tanks in Florence and that took us the 100 miles of dirt, 10 miles of Oracle pavement and the 45 miles of pavement down the Catalina Highway to Tucson from Summerhaven at top of Mt. Lemmon; so a 155 mile run.

But, there is a CircleK Fuel Station in Oracle, so you could fuel up there and have two full tank runs; 90 and 65 respectively.

Looks like a fun little ride there Don! Someday I still want to add a dual sport to my stable and start hitting some of these roads on a bike meant for it!

Looks like a fun little ride there Don! Someday I still want to add a dual sport to my stable and start hitting some of these roads on a bike meant for it!
Arturo, that would be great if you picked up a dual sport; I'd love to go offroading with you and our FJR/AZB Forum friends.

Your illegitimate bastard cousin and my illegitimate bastard son SkooterG calls me about three times a freaking day about another Kawasaki KLR 650 he has found on CraigsList. I am just about to spot him a thousand loan to shut his dumb ass up!

Dont do it Don. Just think of it like being at the Zoo and seeing those "Do Not Feed The Animals" signs. Once you do it, he'll never be able to survive on his own.

I have to admit that from the looks of that dirt road, I've done alot worse on the FJR. Maybe I should just join you guys on a few of your outings anyway.

Dont do it Don. Just think of it like being at the Zoo and seeing those "Do Not Feed The Animals" signs. Once you do it, he'll never be able to survive on his own.
I have to admit that from the looks of that dirt road, I've done alot worse on the FJR. Maybe I should just join you guys on a few of your outings anyway.
Right you are, Arte! I am President Emeritus for Life of the AZ Beemers Candy Butt GS Association and every ride I lead is 2.5 skid plate ratings or less. You know Seamus MacTreinfhir, my Irish cousin, he leads AZB on the 3.0 to 5.0 rated rides.

Pretty cool, BeemerWeemer! I like the skid plate ratings... anyone topple them expensive BMW's? Any napppie time at all?

How hot was it? Where were the umbrella girls you promised at every pit stop? Well? Huh?

Oh, and SkooterG? Don't ask, don't tell.. :****: :rofl: