Ford F-150 EcoBoost - anyone with real world ownership experience?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I'm ready for a "new to me" truck. MyHonda Ridgeline is great but lacks the power I need when pulling my 24 foot travel trailer (5,000# ultralight).

I have test driven and test drove the F150 in both V8 and Ecoboost variants and I believe the Ecoboost is the way I want to go.

Probably a pre-owned 12 or 13 model.

Looking for owner feedback, especially owners that tow.

Not looking for why a diesel or a Chevy or a Dodge or a Toyota is better etc......

Thanks

I don't own one but I have a couple of friends that do... If that helps.

Since I am interested in trucks in general, I asked a lot of questions. My friends (and a couple of strangers) focused mostly on two things.

1. Gas mileage is good, but NOT as good as they were supposed to be.

2. Sports Car acceleration. The power is there and it is good.

For me the issue is that it is a Ford. While I have nothing against Fords in general, HotRodZilla owns a Ford. Since I don't like HotRodZilla, I have decided not to like Fords.
smile.png

My neighbors wife tows her tandem axle horse trailer all over hell with a 2012 F150 Ecoboost. Her husband is the service writer at the local Ford dealer and he says it's been trouble free.

I'm on my second F150 with the 5.0 liter and it tows fine.

The only complaints I've heard on the Ecoboost is the mileage under load isn't great but it does take fuel to make HP.

As far as it being a Ford,I'm still driving the 48 coupe my dad bought new and it towed a 30' house trailer for a lot of its life so fords are fine with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my 2011 super crew with Ecoboost. Mileage varies based on driving conditions and speed. Warm summer days at 60 mph and I can get 23 mpg. Today at -3 deg at 68 mph I got 18 mpg. It also drops off when I pull my boat. You will have no problems pulling a 5,000 # trailer. The power is outstanding. I have had no issues in 55,000 miles with the truck. I have owned numerous GM trucks over the last 27 years and none of them compair to this F150. For power, mpg or reliability. Once they work the bugs out of the new model I will be upgrading. And it will have an Ecoboost.

John, shoot a PM to Fred / juniorfjr. He drags a larger boat around with his Ecoboost F150 and from what I understand, is quite satisfied.

Good luck!

--G

John, I've got a 2012 supercab with the ecoboost. I've got the heavy towing package, which rates it at 10300 lb towing. My boat goes about 8500 and I've got more than enough power. I think its rated at 350 hp and 400 lb torque. Best part is the torque, it is at 400 lbs at 2000 rpm All the way to redline Which I've never seen. The power is eerie, I've never had a gas engine with that kinda pull. Mileage isn't what the claim, but is a lot better than the 5.4 litre in my 2008. Empty cruise at 65, I get 18 to 19. Towing I get 12 to 14. In short I love it and would get another.

As always, this board rocks, when you need some info somebody steps up!

Thanks for the above.

John

I rented a Ford Fusion last summer with an ecoboost motor. While I didn't care for the fusion that motor rocked! I kept lighting up the front tires from the stop signs with four adults until the traction control kicked in . Well Mrs. bug didn't think I was very adult but I sure had fun.

While it is not a truck I have had 2 Ford Edges and an Explorer in the last 3 years as company vehicles. I put about 35,000 a year on them, they take one away and give me a new one. All 3 have had echo boost engines and get about 22 miles to the gallon. My only gripe is that the transmission gets a clunk every once in a while. Never had to get a transmission serviced. Love the Eco Boost - you push on that pedal and they get up and go.

My only other complaint is with all of this driving for work it doesn't leave much of an appetite for getting out on the bike during the weekend so the FJR feels a little abandoned.

Committed to buy one today, new '14 Flame Blue, SCREW, 3.55s, tow pkg, eco boost, off road pkg, tailgate step.

I have a 2004 SCREW with the 5.4L.....I love that truck. I have been drooling over the new 2015s with the Aluminum bodies and would love one but my 2004 only has 132k on it so I will keep it a little while longer.

For me the issue is that it is a Ford. While I have nothing against Fords in general, HotRodZilla owns a Ford. Since I don't like HotRodZilla, I have decided not to like Fords.
smile.png
Hey Redfish.....did you know that Zilla has an FJR???

I have a 2004 SCREW with the 5.4L.....I love that truck. I have been drooling over the new 2015s with the Aluminum bodies and would love one but my 2004 only has 132k on it so I will keep it a little while longer.

For me the issue is that it is a Ford. While I have nothing against Fords in general, HotRodZilla owns a Ford. Since I don't like HotRodZilla, I have decided not to like Fords. :)
Hey Redfish.....did you know that Zilla has an FJR???
He knows now, but he had forgotten when he bought that 2015. He rode that bike for about 22.9 miles before he remembered I also have one. That's when he freaked out and threw that abomination from beneath him. He told his wife what he had done and why. Her response was, "Well, you better fix it. If 'Zilla has one, that's the only bike I'll ride." Since she wears the pants, he had to fix his poor bike.

AND, FWIW, I own 2 Fords, but there's 3 in the driveway.

I didn't want to be a guniea pig on a '15. You know I've heard the '15 F150 cruise control will only set between 30-80mph.

I didn't want to be a guniea pig on a '15. You know I've heard the '15 F150 cruise control will only set between 30-80mph.
I know what you mean. As much as I hate my newly redesigned 2014 Toyota Tundra Super Crew I will wait a year or so before I take my financial ass whoopin and go back to my beloved Ford F150.

I have never been more disapointed in a new vehicle as I am with my Tundra.

I know what you mean. As much as I hate my newly redesigned 2014 Toyota Tundra Super Crew I will wait a year or so before I take my financial ass whoopin and go back to my beloved Ford F150.

I have never been more disapointed in a new vehicle as I am with my Tundra.
That suprises me, I've got friends with Tundra's and are happy with them. I don't understand it, being a ford a holic.

Been looking at the 2015 Lariat. Very nice truck. However with a price of over $50k I decided to put new tires on my XLT and wait a few years for ford to work the bugs out.

Latest posts