Fork Braces for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cajone

Reaction score
I just bought a new '07 FJR and I'm trying to prioritize a few additions I'd like to make this year. First thing is to install a set of sliders. But I'm wondering about the merits of adding a fork brace and I haven't been able to find much information in the forum (maybe not looking in the right place?). My biking buddy has added a fork brace to his Concours and V-Strom and he swears by them for reducing front-end wobbling and vibration. There are a couple of manufacturers out there that produce braces for the FJR.

Has anyone had experience adding a fork brace to a Gen II FJR?

I just bought a new '07 FJR and I'm trying to prioritize a few additions I'd like to make this year. First thing is to install a set of sliders. But I'm wondering about the merits of adding a fork brace and I haven't been able to find much information in the forum (maybe not looking in the right place?). My biking buddy has added a fork brace to his Concours and V-Strom and he swears by them for reducing front-end wobbling and vibration. There are a couple of manufacturers out there that produce braces for the FJR.
Has anyone had experience adding a fork brace to a Gen II FJR?
I think it depends a lot on your riding level and what you expect to get out of the FJR in general. The Gen2 is not really any different than the Gen1 as far as usefulness. The brace makes a difference to those who ride aggressively and WOULD notice it... in BOTH cases.

If you are new to riding or new to riding a sport-style bike, wait a while. The FJR is plenty capable in its stock trim. Buy some TOGs or something else useful with the money.

If you are used to a lot of "spirited" riding and you intend to use your FJR as a sport bike with luggage, you may be a perfect candidate for one right out of the gate.

I transfered mine from my 05 and love it. Be aware, there are two versions... those for ABS and those for non-ABS. The ABS version is shaped different to allow extra room for some brake-line hardware that the non-ABS does not have.

I'm a big fan of the Gull-wing Superbrace. Looks as good as it works!

I ride near GVWR a lot (not only am I huge but I usually carry a pillion) and the forkbrace definitely makes a difference in high speed sweepers. Otherwise completely agree with Duff's comments above - so many farkles, so few dollars!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Gull-wing Superbrace. Looks as good as it works!
+1 on the Superbrace. I just wish I had the gull-wing. Fortunately, I run my suspension pretty stiff. Who knows, maybe I will try to sell the non ABS :rolleyes: and go get the ABS version.

I really could't tell any difference except in one senario.

When loaded, riding 2-up, aggressively. That sometimes got unsettling.

In that scenerio, the front felt like it wanted to drift out ("loose" in racing terms) before the brace was added.

Adding the brace made a big difference in the case.

For me, later adding stiffer springs and tuning the sag with an aftermarket ride height adjustable rear shock, was a more significant change. All that combined to get the bike dialed in just right.

It made the bike unshakeable when peg scraping.

Very confidence inspiring.

I wouldn't add a brace to a new FJR, unless I 1st dialed in the suspension and then still felt the front get skidish, when pushed hard.

Step One: Confirm the suspension sag is set correctly, front and back. Luuuke. Use the search, Luke.

That will do more than any bolt on gizmo. Just one opinion....

<SNIP>Step One: Confirm the suspension sag is set correctly, front and back. Luuuke. Use the search, Luke.

That will do more than any bolt on gizmo. Just one opinion....
+1 Suspension SETUP is the most important thing you can do to a new bike. AFTER that is done, a fork brace may or may not be the key to your riding nirvana.

Ackshully, Eye done tuke mah forking-brace offen thuh FJR murdersickle. Eye done spent sum dollers en ree-placed them forking springs fer mah wait. The frunta thee byke es soe much bedder I din't needa put them brace back onta thems FJR.

Toecutter rode my bike in the Patriot Guard event at Andrew's funeral. I told him I'd had the forks resprung. When he parked my bike in the garage he went around front and looked...."No brace?" I told him I didn't need one. Proper springs WILL make that much difference.

I agree with the other's advice. Ride your bike and see what you need. Don't assume you need a forkbrace.

I went to GP suspensions in January to have my front forks rebuilt (included new springs). I asked about the merits of fork braces. I was told that the FJR has very beefy shocks (something like 48mm?) and there was only one other bike that had beefier OEM shocks (but I forget which bike it is). Since, the shocks are so beefy, a fork brace likely wouldn't do much compared to the effects on a typical crotch rocket.

YMMV.

Disclaimer: I am suspension challenged...I'm only relaying what was told to me by suspension professionals albeit ones that I purchased springs from. Biased? Maybe. Knowledgable? Definitely.

Latest posts