Fork bushings, omit the mid bushing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
I posted this as a comment in another thread but think it is interesting enough to deserve it's own thread. I think this is really interesting. At present I don't know enough about this to have an informed opinion.

I replaced the bushings and seals in my forks last weekend. When I pulled them apart I found only lower and upper bushings. The middle bushing was missing. I had 3 bushings for each fork tube so that is what I installed.

Traxxion replaced seals and bushings 20,000 miles ago so I called them. The customer service guy consulted with the techs and got back with me today. I was informed that Traxxion does not replace the middle bushing when it does FJR forks, "it makes disassembly difficult and is not needed", "No other bike has three bushings."

The forks did come apart easily and the bike handled well. If I had not done the forks myself I would have never known of their decesion to leave out middle bushings. I recommended that they inform customers of this practice and they stated they would in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting!! Haven't done mine yet so I can't really comment. Wondering how much wear people are seeing on the middle bushing?? If wear is minimal compared to upper and lower, they may have a case but I can't imagine why Yamaha would design it that way unless there was a benefit.

Ross

I totally disagree with omitting the bushing. Personally I would be SOOOOOoooo pissed off if someone made that type of change to my bike without prior discussion and approval by me, the OWNER!

If you don't run the third bushing, then IMO, you need to add a fork brace. That bushing is the main reason that aftermarket fork braces stopped being "big seller" for FJRs.

I can easily see (and agree) that omitting the middle bushing reduces bushing wear. But there is compromise price for leaving it out.

I'm with Jeff and Ross here..

If it was designed in I'm pretty sure there was a reason. Jeff no doubt nailed it regarding the fork brace.

Besides if you're "in there" why not replace the damned thing?Granted a fork tear down isn't a major operation, preventative maintenance is just that.

FW

If it was designed in I'm pretty sure there was a reason. Jeff no doubt nailed it regarding the fork brace.

Besides if you're "in there" why not replace the damned thing?Granted a fork tear down isn't a major operation, preventative maintenance is just that.
Why not replace ti? Cause it takes a specialized tool (or a piece of sawed off muffler pipe). Besides, who would ever notice? :glare:

FWIW Gen I bikes have two slides and don't suffer without a fork brace, so I don't know what changes prompted Yamaha to put the middle slide into the Gen II. I still think it is not something that should be changed without a good reason or proof it is unnecessary. This may have actually been thought about by Traxxion, but if they are not replacing a primary fork component, they should disclose the reason.

Why not replace ti? Cause it takes a specialized tool (or a piece of sawed off muffler pipe). Besides, who would ever notice? :glare:
I read it as it was missing/omitted Tom.. But I'm drunk as always, so take it as it is :lol:

Besides it's only 9 buck fer the homemade pipe thingy

Besides, who would ever notice? :glare:

FWIW Gen I bikes have two slides and don't suffer without a fork brace, so I don't know what changes prompted Yamaha to put the middle slide into the Gen II. I still think it is not something that should be changed without a good reason or proof it is unnecessary. This may have actually been thought about by Traxxion, but if they are not replacing a primary fork component, they should disclose the reason.
From what I hear, the GenI FJRs see marked improvement after adding a fork brace and the GENIIs do not. Is the reason a simple bushing? I donno, but I don't want parts omitted for someone else's "convenience".

Hell, by that thinking, the wheels on my F150 have 5 lug nuts, but will stay on with just 3...And it makes it easier to change the tires. That's a bullshit excuse if I ever heard one.

If they had done my shocks, I'd be calling them up and sending them back for completion.

Cause it takes a specialized tool (or a piece of sawed off muffler pipe).
Tom, I couldn't help but laugh when I read this...

Basically it's "Buy a special, singular use tool or use a piece of crap pipe from the salvage pile."

Doesn't say much for "specialized tool" does it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts