Fork Inner Tube Removal Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SYB Rider

Reaction score
I'm a proud new owner of a 2006 FJR with 51,000KM (30,000 miles). The fork seals were badly leaking and decided to change them out. The problem I'm having is getting the inner tube off on one of the forks. The first one came off without much difficulty however, the lower inner tube bushing stayed inside the leg and the top 2 bushings and seal did not come out. The lower of the 2 bushings is loose and the upper one is tight. I will get them out somehow. Drill a screw through the seal and pry it out. The bushings are worn right out.

The problem is with the second leg. The inner tube will not come out and it jambs inside the fork leg when I give it a good hard tug. I have to use a soft mallet to drive it back inside to try it again and again. It seems like the bushing on the inner tube is jamming in between the 2 top leg bushings. Yes the cir clips have been removed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

If i were you, I'd call Dave at GP Suspension, Oregon. IIRC, he heats the lower tube with a propane torch to enlarge it allowing easy disengagement. Hey wait, didn't I do the same thing? Where is my post, I had pix?

Well, I didn't post my pix - but this may help.

I see your true answer is coming soon - Jeff is online! Go Jeff, GO! :yahoo:

I feel your pain. Recently had my very first problem just like yours on a 2006 I was servicing. The problem is that the lower bushing which fits on the inner tube, is so worn that it slides partially off the inner tube and jams between the inner tube and the next upper bushing.

The middle bushing is a VERY tight fit and requires significant force (read slamming!) to typically remove it.

Here's my best suggestion. If you have removed the big bolt on the bottom casting that retains the dampner cartridge, put it back in. Follow the service manual procedure for filling the fork with fluid and forcing the seals out. It's messy and requires a tall shop press. But it helps greatly to reduce the amount of force required to knock the bushings out of their seats.

Basically, you remove the spring, spring spacer, spacer washer and rebound control rod. Extend the inner tube to its upper limit (you can fudge a bit on this if your shop press won't accept something that long), fill the fork with oil/fluid to the top and replace the fork cap. This creates a hydraulic lock situation. Then using a large socket or slice of pipe to avoid damaging the aluminum surface of the fork cap, compress the entire fork in a shop press until the seal dislodges. It won't spray out oil, but it will make a mess. Be prepared.

Removing the seals GREATLY helps with removing the bushings. Once the seals are out and the flat washers removed, it's several rags in a vise to hold the bottom casting without scarring or damage, and jerk it out. If the inner tube comes out without bringing the middle bushing with it (which happens often when bushings are worn), remove the bottom bushing from the inner tube and use the machined edge of the inner tube as a "grabber or slide hammer" for the middle bushing removal. It WILL come out.

On the worn out 06 I recently serviced, one bottom bushing was so badly worn that it wedged itself between the two tubes and would not budge. I had to use a shop press to force the inner tube down and a brass drift to drive the bushing back into the groove where it belonged. Then I made a special clamp for the inner tube and two of us used a sledge hammer to drive the tubes apart by beating on the homemade clamp. It was all that or buy a new fork. No other course of action available.

Good luck!

If you don't have a press for the seal removal, I put the fork between a floor jack and well built garage shelf.

When reassembling, make sure the washers are truly flat or you will go through the whole procedure again shortly. They tend to distort into a conical shape during disassembly but I'm told they can be hammered flat again or, in the alternative, should be replaced.

SYB I had the same issue you do. Went to Home Depot and got a Pipe clamp, cheap. Did like Ashe recommended and reassembled the fork, filled with oil, any oil, put the cap back on and clamped that beast until the oil blew by the seal. After that all came apart fairly easily.

Good luck.