Fork Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkrK12

Reaction score
I understand how to measure the proper amount in the forks (space, not volume) :glare: . My question is how much to buy. The service manual specifies approx 23 oz is required for my 06. The question I have is: Is that per fork or for both forks? The Yamaha 01 Fork Oil sells for about $35/quart. The Ohlins R&T43 sells for about $55/quart. If it only requires 1 quart for both forks, I'd rather not invest an extra $33-55 so it can sit in my garage for the next year or two. Thanks

PS I'm asking because the dealership is clueless

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand how to measure the proper amount in the forks (space, not volume) :glare: . My question is how much to buy. The service manual specifies approx 23 oz is required for my 06. The question I have is: Is that per fork or for both forks? The Yamaha 01 Fork Oil sells for about $35/quart. The Ohlins R&T43 sells for about $55/quart. If it only requires 1 quart for both forks, I'd rather not invest an extra $33-55 so it can sit in my garage for the next year or two. Thanks
You will need slightly more than a liter of fluid to do both, in most cases. Volumes vary some. However, you will need two liters to ensure that you have enough to use some to flush out the fork tubes before doing the final fill. FJRTech article And trust me, you do want to pour some in and work the tubes, then dump the nasty stuff back out before you fill it with fresh fluid!

And those prices are obscene! Go get some Silkolene or BelRay. Most seem to like the 7.5 wt. Silkolene or the 10 wt BelRay. I used the 10 wt. BelRay w/o problems. My skinny friend used the 7.5 Silkolene and liked that. I bought BelRay for $10/L and the Silkolene Race for $12/L. Forget your dealer, he's a Pirate! Even the Yamaha 01 fork oil is way cheaper at my local dealer and it's 5 wt, FWIW.

You will need slightly more than a liter of fluid to do both, in most cases. Volumes vary some. However, you will need two liters to ensure that you have enough to use some to flush out the fork tubes before doing the final fill. FJRTech article And trust me, you do want to pour some in and work the tubes, then dump the nasty stuff back out before you fill it with fresh fluid!

And those prices are obscene! Go get some Silkolene or BelRay. Most seem to like the 7.5 wt. Silkolene or the 10 wt BelRay. I used the 10 wt. BelRay w/o problems. My skinny friend used the 7.5 Silkolene and liked that. I bought BelRay for $10/L and the Silkolene Race for $12/L. Forget your dealer, he's a Pirate! Even the Yamaha 01 fork oil is way cheaper at my local dealer and it's 5 wt, FWIW.

Thank you.

I agree that those prices are INSANE.

My favorite shop charges about $11 per liter for Bel-Ray High Performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
BkrK12,

You are not the only one who has to deal with a clueless, cut-throat dealership. The one I bought my bike from in Virginia Beach; first did not know how much fork oil was needed so he sent me to the service department. The service department said that they charge for THREE liters to do a fork oil change, @ $55.00 per liter! Total job would be $420.00 for the FJR.

Needless to say I am doing it myself and I found Bel-Ray, Motul and Maxima fork oil in all manor of weights at the Cycle Gear store from $5.99 to $11.99 per liter.

I live in an area of over 1.2 million people and we have three Harley dealers, two Honda only dealers, one BMW only and Triumph only dealer and FOUR Multi-Brand dealerships (Honda included). When you walk into the one brand dealerships you expect NOT to get a good deal on new bikes and parts, and you would think that when walking into a Multi-Brand dealerships that you would be getting a completive pricing because they're competing with three other dealers? HELL NO, bend over and say "May I have another please". I think these guys sit down once a quarter and have dinner to discuss what prices to charge for bikes, parts/accessories and labor (which is now up to $85.00/hour).