Frame sliders and carbon fiber stator cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldbound4now

Reaction score
Oh the gutteral sound one makes when you hit your left hip and the side of your chest wall on the road surface, left arm extended above the head. While sliding on my left hip/torso/leg and rolling onto my back I took a moment to look at what I thought was up, I saw my trustful steed sliding on it's left side bass ackwards down the road ahead of me. Looking off towards the ditch in the slide noticing pieces of something shiny tumbling by me and landing in the ditch. Within a minute, I had the bike upright and parked on the roadside, ignition still on, and a big 30 on the digital display.

First things first, I felt absolutely no pain... next, helmet off to inspect and no scuffing/scratches and no recollection of hitting my head.

Next a quick glance under the bike for wet spots and then an attempt at starting her up. I cycled the ignition off and then back on and the bike fired right up... phew. Off I went to inspect the damage.

Where...

here

What....

Crossed a rural bridge followed by a left hand 90 degree corner. Entered the corner well, but executed the end poorly. I squeezed the throttle a bit too much coming out of the corner on a cold day, on cold chip surface roads. Dust/light sand on the road was a contributing factor that I did not account for as well as the decreased compliance of my tire with the road surface while riding in winter temperatures. It was 100% my error. The rear end kicked out on me and I did a simple low-sided slide. My gear performed great. I was wearing my roadcrafter suit with a pair of winter gloves, X-11 helmet, and Oxtar Air-tech boots. My roadcrafter suit also has the extra back pad and hip pads. The bike slid for about 15 feet with me right next to it.

4274882572_ab353fe962.jpg

Note the exposed fabric fibers from the cover. Had this been the thin, light weight stator cover without protection, I doubt I would have been able to make it home.

4274139043_28cd332f6d.jpg

Checking out the angle of the grind, one can clearly see how the frame slider helped prevent further damage to the pretty blue paint.

Not shown is my severely scuffed up left saddle bag with half ripped off rubber bumper, broken left mirror, nor my broken left foot peg (one of the two mounting "rings" is broken and the other is bent).

Now it's time to price parts out... anybody have an old left hand side case lid from an 05 galaxy blue that they're willing to part with???

worldbound4now

Ouch! Glad you're still world bound!

Cool about the carbon fiber cover. I thought they were just for zoomie looks. Seem to be functional too.

Glad you're OK. BTDT. Twice, actually. :unsure: :blink: Black and blue thigh is sexy, huh?

Only thing I can contribute is personal knowledge that the stator cover is not really all that thin. I don't think you'd have been in any trouble other than cosmetic with it, and the slider would have kept it from taking too big a hit. Having replaced the cover after the first crash I can tell you it's a not insubstantial piece of work. Has anybody actually worn one through?? I can recall stories of edges being lifted by bent bolts, but I don't remember anybody holing the cover.

Take 1: You can barely make out the scrape at the bottom of the stator cover, and you see the slider caught something and tried to fold.

DSC02684sm.jpg

Crash 2: Better shot of the stator cover, and the slider performed better. This one was actually a faster crash.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On my first and only other crash (where Rogue described me as driving off the road), I wore through the stator cover with a carbon fiber protector on.... created a slow leak of oil on my foot as I limped home.

First, I'm glad you're not hurt and the bruising is to your wallet and ego. They'll recover! ;)

Second, are you really trying to dethrone "Flipper's" owner as the FJR forum's "Crash King"? :(

Ehem.... I've laid a bike down twice in my lifetime. Both times just happen to be with the FJR ;) Now... who other than Geelong makes a carbon fiber stator cover cover?

Glad you're ok WB4N. Dude - The Pace, read up on it, ok? :unsure:

The carbon fiber cover has a big patch of Kevlar underneath at the wear spot. Some had the kevlar in the wrong spot. I had to send one back. I wore mine through all the way, but only skimmed the paint on the actual aluminum cover with a 35 mph go down on snow, sliding into bare pavement. I slid a looong way.

Glad you're ok WB4N. Dude - The Pace, read up on it, ok? :unsure:
The carbon fiber cover has a big patch of Kevlar underneath at the wear spot. Some had the kevlar in the wrong spot. I had to send one back. I wore mine through all the way, but only skimmed the paint on the actual aluminum cover with a 35 mph go down on snow, sliding into bare pavement. I slid a looong way.
Thanks bro. I've read up on the pace and usually adhere to it, with the occasional "alienating" whack of the throttle on a freeway on-ramp, etc...

Sorry about the Get-off, Excited that you were okay and posting this thread. Likey those kind; where rider can post themselves.
ditto, Gunny, +1

whew: at least the oil filter survived to keep the oil clean another day :rolleyes:

4274882572_ab353fe962.jpg

on my replacement engine which went down on the stator side after hitting a wall and bending the forks into the radiator:

the stator cover was worn through and they had to take my old cover and move it to the working ebay engine

they gave me anything good to go like the clutch cover, CCT, etc. to take home as extras...no clutch cover as it was junked in the crash by previous owner of the replacement engine. It's damage was right where WFooshee's scrape is on the stator cover. No clue if the crashed bike had sliders.

Glad you're ok. Is the wife freaking out still? :)

Don't rush into the parts...just go without the bags for a while. It looks "faster" that way.

Hopefully Gary McCoy has landed at another Yamaha dealer so that you can get a great deal on the replacement bag stuff (unless there are offers in the For Sale section)

I think Geelong is the only place to get a cf cover...I ordered mine from them since BikerJohnny went away.

Not only can the stator cover be worn through relatively easily, it can also crack. After my last crash, I had to replace the cover (with CF protector that had always been on it) because the WB highway peg bolts actually broke one of the covers mounting holes. When it came off, you could see a good sized crack on the inside of it from one of the impacts. No big deal, especially with the CF protector on it, but still.......

Ahhhh.........just found some photos.

Here's the outside, you can see the yellow CF abrasion, but pay attention the the 'impact' area just above and to the right. You can barely see some scuffing and discoloration.

P8040002.jpg

Here's what the 'impact' area looked like on the inside of the cover:

P8040003.jpg

Great piccies Skooter, now who wants to make a mold and start popping out CF protectors for our stator covers?
Why? GCC

If you want to make your own for less, do remember that the carbon fiber has very little protective qualities. It's the combination of the CF and Kevlar patch bonded together, along with the non-hardening application goo that really offers the protective elements, both impact and abrasion.

If I had the abilities to make one, it would probably be resin impregnated kevlar alone in a cross layer pattern similar to how combat helmets are made. Maximum protection, but not much bling.

Latest posts