Frame Sliders and the Farkle Cartel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildcat48

Reaction score
I must confess. I don't get it. I never understood the expensive price tag associated with certain after market items. In particular, I don't get how frame sliders can cost $80 or more, when they are essentially little more than a couple of chunks of plastic with a metal sleeve or base and a bolt. After all, we're not talking about space shuttle components here, just a couple of rubber baby buggy bumpers.

The only reasonable explantation for the cost I can come up with is that the international slider farkle cartel is engaged in creative pricing. Well IMO, it's about time the Association of Slider Suppliers and Everything Special (A.S.S.E.S.) got their head out of their acronym and started getting real with pricing. That's why I was glad to see Andre provide Forum readers an alternative: https://www.oesaccessories.com/

This outfit will put you into a pair of brand new sliders for less than half the cost of what you will find elsewhere. I dealt with Jacob, who told me that sliders are their principal buisness. The service is great and my new 2" Black, radius cut sliders (cost: $42 plus shipping) look terrific on my '07 burgundy FJR. Go my brothers, farkle and save. You deserve it.

Wildcat48

I must confess. I don't get it. I never understood the expensive price tag associated with certain after market items. In particular, I don't get how frame sliders can cost $80 or more, when they are essentially little more than a couple of chunks of plastic with a metal sleeve or base and a bolt. After all, we're not talking about space shuttle components here, just a couple of rubber baby buggy bumpers. The only reasonable explantation for the cost I can come up with is that the international slider farkle cartel is engaged in creative pricing. Well IMO, it's about time the Association of Slider Suppliers and Everything Special (A.S.S.E.S.) got their head out of their acronym and started getting real with pricing. That's why I was glad to see Andre provide Forum readers an alternative: https://www.oesaccessories.com/

This outfit will put you into a pair of brand new sliders for less than half the cost of what you will find elsewhere. I dealt with Jacob, who told me that sliders are their principal buisness. The service is great and my new 2" Black, radius cut sliders (cost: $42 plus shipping) look terrific on my '07 burgundy FJR. Go my brothers, farkle and save. You deserve it.

Wildcat48
According to your profile you own a 2005 FJR. If you order the ones on the page you sited (the ones that require "No modification to the fairing") you'll be very disappointed at how the work out. Those are for GenII bikes which have a motor-mount bolt (ideal for a slider) exposed while the plastic is installed. The GenI bikes don't have this luxury. The GenI sliders that DON'T require plastic to be cut will require mounting hardware beyond what is sold for the GenII bike sliders.

I must confess. I don't get it. I never understood the expensive price tag associated with certain after market items. In particular, I don't get how frame sliders can cost $80 or more, when they are essentially little more than a couple of chunks of plastic with a metal sleeve or base and a bolt. After all, we're not talking about space shuttle components here, just a couple of rubber baby buggy bumpers. The only reasonable explantation for the cost I can come up with is that the international slider farkle cartel is engaged in creative pricing. Well IMO, it's about time the Association of Slider Suppliers and Everything Special (A.S.S.E.S.) got their head out of their acronym and started getting real with pricing. That's why I was glad to see Andre provide Forum readers an alternative: https://www.oesaccessories.com/

Wildcat48
Hey Wildcat48,

Could you post a pic of how yours look?

ThaNX

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
He mentions his burgundy FJR in his post. Proof that you can't always trust what the profile says! (Sort of like how I've heard that all "women" in chat rooms are ...well...not really "women") :rolleyes:

Wildcat48
According to your profile you own a 2005 FJR. If you order the ones on the page you sited (the ones that require "No modification to the fairing") you'll be very disappointed at how the work out. Those are for GenII bikes which have a motor-mount bolt (ideal for a slider) exposed while the plastic is installed. The GenI bikes don't have this luxury. The GenI sliders that DON'T require plastic to be cut will require mounting hardware beyond what is sold for the GenII bike sliders.
Thanks GunMD, I updated my profile with my new '07. As you say, the sliders bolted right on, a 5 minute install. They make them in different diameters and end cuts. I think the 2", radius cut sliders are the way to go.

Wildcat 48

I must confess. I don't get it. I never understood the expensive price tag associated with certain after market items. In particular, I don't get how frame sliders can cost $80 or more, when they are essentially little more than a couple of chunks of plastic with a metal sleeve or base and a bolt. After all, we're not talking about space shuttle components here, just a couple of rubber baby buggy bumpers. The only reasonable explantation for the cost I can come up with is that the international slider farkle cartel is engaged in creative pricing. Well IMO, it's about time the Association of Slider Suppliers and Everything Special (A.S.S.E.S.) got their head out of their acronym and started getting real with pricing. That's why I was glad to see Andre provide Forum readers an alternative: https://www.oesaccessories.com/ This outfit will put you into a pair of brand new sliders for less than half the cost of what you will find elsewhere. I dealt with Jacob, who told me that sliders are their principal buisness. The service is great and my new 2" Black, radius cut sliders (cost: $42 plus shipping) look terrific on my '07 burgundy FJR. Go my brothers, farkle and save. You deserve it. Wildcat48
Hey Wildcat48,Could you post a pic of how yours look?ThaNXWW
WW, I'll try to get some pix, but please be patient. I had a close encounter last night with a sheetrock screw in a Home Depot parking lot and my bike is now in the shop waiting on a new tire! Wildcat48
I must confess. I don't get it. I never understood the expensive price tag associated with certain after market items. In particular, I don't get how frame sliders can cost $80 or more, when they are essentially little more than a couple of chunks of plastic with a metal sleeve or base and a bolt. After all, we're not talking about space shuttle components here, just a couple of rubber baby buggy bumpers. The only reasonable explantation for the cost I can come up with is that the international slider farkle cartel is engaged in creative pricing. Well IMO, it's about time the Association of Slider Suppliers and Everything Special (A.S.S.E.S.) got their head out of their acronym and started getting real with pricing. That's why I was glad to see Andre provide Forum readers an alternative: https://www.oesaccessories.com/ This outfit will put you into a pair of brand new sliders for less than half the cost of what you will find elsewhere. I dealt with Jacob, who told me that sliders are their principal buisness. The service is great and my new 2" Black, radius cut sliders (cost: $42 plus shipping) look terrific on my '07 burgundy FJR. Go my brothers, farkle and save. You deserve it. Wildcat48
Thanks GunMD, I updated my profile with my new '07. As you say, the sliders bolted right on, a 5 minute install. They make them in different diameters and end cuts. I think the 2", radius cut sliders are the way to go.Wildcat 48

Thanks GunMD, I updated my profile with my new '07. As you say, the sliders bolted right on, a 5 minute install. They make them in different diameters and end cuts. I think the 2", radius cut sliders are the way to go.Wildcat 48
See, there's another example of my stellar attention span. By the time I finished reading your post I'd already forgotten that you mentioned a Burgundy 07. I'll try to keep up in the future.

:rolleyes:

O.K...... Ready, Nooby question for ordering the Derlin Sliders. "Is that price for each slider, or is it a price for complete set?, how many come in a complete set, How many should you install total?..."

Go ahead boys ,,, Lemme have it... rofl!

DailyCommunter - hard to tell from the picture, but is that a Hind or a Lynx? Oh, and you "normally" install one slider per side. But I have seen 2, not very often, but I have seen it.

DailyCommunter - hard to tell from the picture, but is that a Hind or a Lynx? Oh, and you "normally" install one slider per side. But I have seen 2, not very often, but I have seen it.
you mean like this?

tk-2.jpg