Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrcanuck

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody know how tight to torque frame sliders? I have a set on the way from Motivation.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they don't send you instructions with the torque specs you can go to their website and get the info you need.

You can download a copy of the instructions with the torque specs.

Mine included torque values but didnt mention doing the RH side before the LH one (or is it vice-versa?)

Found out after the fact about that little tidbit.

I just installed some Skyway sliders (nice by the way). When I removed the OEM bolts I was shocked at how loose they were. I thought they were on the verge of falling out on their own. I think the torque recommendation is only about 36 ft lbs or something like that (I'm sure you've looked it up already). I would have thought a bolt that performs the function of attaching the motor to the frame would have had a higher torque value then that. But no.

Since I've been doing my own wrenching on my bikes, I've come to realize that I've been over torquing hardware my whole career. And I'm a tradesman!! :unsure:

Just checked the installation instructions on Motovation's website - they only say "torque to manufacturer's specs". I'll call my local dealer and/or e-mail Yamaha to see what they say - then post the info here for others to see.

Skyway says to torque the Left side first and then the Right side. Skyway says to torque to 29 ft/lbs or you risk stripping the threads. The Yamaha specs are higher than Skyway recommends for their sliders.

Just checked the installation instructions on Motovation's website - they only say "torque to manufacturer's specs". I'll call my local dealer and/or e-mail Yamaha to see what they say - then post the info here for others to see.

Torque info and a lot more is in the fjr bin of facts. This is cut and pasted from it:

[SIZE=12pt]Engine Mount Torques:[/SIZE]

ft-lb:Size: Description

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (right front lower side)

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (right front upper side)

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (left front lower side)

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (left front upper side)

32: M10: Engine mounting nut (rear upper side)

13: M16: Spacer bolt

32: M10: Engine mounting bolt (rear lower side)

11: M8: Engine mounting bolt (left rear side)

23: M10: Engine bracket bolt (left rear side)

11: M8: Engine bracket bolt (top)

27: M10: Engine mounting bolt (top)

Engine Mount Torques (in sequence of operation)

ft-lb: description

35: Left Front Upper Side engine mount BOLT

32: Rear Lower Side engine mount BOLT

13: Spacer Bolt (right side top, special tools required)

32: Rear upper side engine mounting NUT (threads oiled)

35: Left Front Lower Side Engine mounting bolt (Typical Slider Installation Bolt (torque the Left side First)

35: Right Front Upper Side Engine mounting bolt

35: Right Front Lower Side Engine mounting bolt (Typical Slider Installation Bolt (torque the Right side last)

Torque info and a lot more is in the fjr bin of facts. This is cut and pasted from it:

[SIZE=12pt]Engine Mount Torques:[/SIZE]

ft-lb:Size: Description

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (right front lower side)

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (right front upper side)

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (left front lower side)

35: M12: Engine mounting bolts (left front upper side)

32: M10: Engine mounting nut (rear upper side)

13: M16: Spacer bolt

32: M10: Engine mounting bolt (rear lower side)

11: M8: Engine mounting bolt (left rear side)

23: M10: Engine bracket bolt (left rear side)

11: M8: Engine bracket bolt (top)

27: M10: Engine mounting bolt (top)

Engine Mount Torques (in sequence of operation)

ft-lb: description

35: Left Front Upper Side engine mount BOLT

32: Rear Lower Side engine mount BOLT

13: Spacer Bolt (right side top, special tools required)

32: Rear upper side engine mounting NUT (threads oiled)

35: Left Front Lower Side Engine mounting bolt (Typical Slider Installation Bolt (torque the Left side First)

35: Right Front Upper Side Engine mounting bolt

35: Right Front Lower Side Engine mounting bolt (Typical Slider Installation Bolt (torque the Right side last)

There ya go bein' nice again...sheesh. I was going to wait for fjrcanuck to ignore your previous advice, ask the dealer and post the numbers here for comment. Then wait again for Friday.... are we there yet? :p