Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerkash

Reaction score
Installing frame sliders is a good idea but a word of first hand advice is be sure to use locktight on these replacment bolts and to continue to check the tightness of these bolts. If either one of these bolts work their way out the results can be a very catastraphic event. I have experienced this situation first hand and want others to avoid this situation at all cost so they do not have to go though what I'm going though. RIDE SAFE

Locktite? I thought the slider mounting uses engine mount bolts. If so, I don't know that tightening an engine mount bolt into the aluminum engine block with locktite would be a good idea.

OTH, using the correct torque specification and checking them often would. Temp cycles and vibration could cause them to loosen though I don't remember reading of the problem with any of the other "slider" types that bolt directly through the frame (unlike the Moto/Moko bracketry).

There have been reports in the past where thread problems (requiring helicoil repair) have arisen because of frequent removal of the sliders to take off the fairings for farkles, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used locktite, however it was a lower strength variety. I had the same concerns should I need to take them off. Most locktite comes in at least three different strengths. Strength really doesn't describe it correctly, but that is how it is labled. Basically, they are capable of filling different size gaps in threads. Each being thicker or thinner depending on what you need. Working in aviation for quite some time now, we actually use locktite on many applications and I really don't remember having trouble getting stuff apart later, as long as the correct amount of the correct strength is used.

Just my two cents.

Bryan

I actually used Never-seize on mine. For the first two weeks after install I must have checked the torque at least a dozen times and again a month later and I never found any signs of loosening at all. When I removed the factory bolts there was no lock-tite on them either. It makes me wonder if something else was wrong.

There's a good reason why Yamaha is using a fine pitch thread for it's engine mount bolts. Thread lock is not required on this fastener. But feel free to use some if it makes you feel better. ;)

If you do use locktite make sure it is BLUE and not RED. Made to use for just the problem you are having. Use it all the time on my dirt bikes. Its strength is designed so you can take apart and repair what ever that needs to be fixed. blue locktie is designed to help bolts from comming loose ahen there is a significant amount of vibration.

Note# fine or course threads do not dictate the use of loctite. It is all in the application.

Learn to Read the instruction for the product you are using to then you will know its limits both pro and con.

weekend rider

[quote name='weekend rider' date='Jan 13 2007, 04:43 PM' post='192808

Note# fine or course threads do not dictate the use of loctite. It is all in the application.

I believe the point Skyway is making is that Yamaha uses fine pitch threads on the mounting bolts because with more threads per mm they are less likely to loosen as compared with a coarse threaded bolt.

And, I concur, if a problem exists, use Blue locktite, NOT Red.

Last edited by a moderator:
weekend rider
This is of course true, but in the case of this engine bolt, it is the reason why. A socket head fine pitch metric threaded bolt, the same one being used by yamaha is not a common fastener, and has been choosen for a specific reason. Just for the fun of it, remove some engine mount bolts from your bike and let me know how much loctite you find on them.

the 06 service manual instructs to lubricate the rear lower and rear upper side engine mounting bolt and nut with engine oil.

on page 5-9.

No mention of lubricating the front upper side, just the torque, and the sequence of:

left front upper 35 ft-lb, then rear lower 32 ft-lb, then, 1" spacer to 13 ft-lb, then.....

never mention of loctite, just motor oil on 2 specific places.

There's a good reason why Yamaha is using a fine pitch thread for it's engine mount bolts. Thread lock is not required on this fastener. But feel free to use some if it makes you feel better. ;)
Like Skiwi says, use the stuff if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, but I have 90,000+ miles on my sliders bolts with nary a problem. Properly torqued them on install a long time ago and never even bothered to check them again.

I was waiting to see if anyone would pick up on the fact that a lubricated bolt uses a different torque spec than a dry bolt.

I could see stripping the threads on a aluminum case by using a dry bolt torque lbs, and Loctite.

Bob