France made seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mophead

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried one of these? Hard, soft? Good for long days in the saddle? Just curious.

s-l1600.jpg

Good for long days in the saddle?
No. I can easily tell that looking at it. A saddle that's going to be good for long days will look much more like a Russell and support the ischium via thigh support.

Mophead, is that the Top Sellerie seat? If so, RedFishHunter has one. May want to PM him, but bottom line is he replaced his with a Lamm. I will also echo Iggy''s statement that it's probably not the best long day seat. However, butts are different, and maybe you'll love it.

FWIW, very few people on FJRs actually use one, which tells you something among this crowd. If it was good, everyone would have one.

A nice looking seat, for sure. Your first question was, "Good, bad?" I've never seen one, so that's a hard question to judge if you're referring to quality. From what I see, it looks sharp and it's looking expensive. However, your second question leads me to think that "...long days in the saddle" matter to you. If that's the case, don't settle for anything that...

... you haven't actually tried out in person.

... or you don't find raving revues about it here.

I do have exactly that same seat, with gel. I am pretty happy with it, its at least much better than the stock seat. I don't have any experience with Russel DL though, can not compare.

Good point Enn. Glad you weighed in here. A lot of us have seats that are better than stock. And needless to say, the RDL isn't for everybody. Ya gotta admit, it does provoke a wide range of opinions concerning how it looks on the bike. So how much is this particular seat and what company makes it?

Gary

darksider #44

RedFishHunter sent me a pm and said it is not good for long days. Think I'll just stay with my Sargent. Had it for 50K and it is so much better than stock. Russell Day Long gets many thumbs up but I just can't get past the look. Went to Key West and back three weeks ago on the Sargent and it does good. Had Sargent rebuild a Corbin for me for a K100RS and I put about 180K on it through three different Beemers. Sargent does make a good seat and will customize it to your specs.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Good point Enn. Glad you weighed in here. A lot of us have seats that are better than stock. And needless to say, the RDL isn't for everybody. Ya gotta admit, it does provoke a wide range of opinions concerning how it looks on the bike. So how much is this particular seat and what company makes it?
Gary

darksider #44
https://www.topsellerie.com/en-ee/yamaha-fjr-1300-2006_367.html check here, everything depends on how you want it. As for comfort, I have done all my long European trips on this, usually 10-12 hours a day at least. I do get some discomfort issues after 2,5-3 h of continuous ride, but it is ok because it makes me stop and freshen up. It looks very nice and build quality is good. Its also pretty reasonably priced for European standard, especially if you return your OEM saddle.

Russell Day Long gets many thumbs up but I just can't get past the look.
Therein lies the Venn diagram with two elements that tend to have no intersection. Your OP was about long days in the saddle, but now you're about looks. Pick one.
wink.png

Now, if you want to compromise and have a seat for the occasional single long-ish day...then there are some options out there including your Sargeant. But I still wouldn't put the OP seat in even that bubble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear on what I think of the Top Sellerie:

The totaled '07 had to have a seat when the tow truck picked it up. I tried to get around it but the insurance adjuster insisted. From his hospital bed Pop made his wishes Very Clear. I pulled the Top Sellerie from my attic and installed it on the bike. It looked beautiful as it rode away on the tow truck.

The Laam Custom looks...okay on Dad's replacement '14A. And I now have a set of OE seats as spares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Therein lies the Venn diagram with two elements that tend to have no intersection. Your OP was about long days in the saddle, but now you're about looks. Pick one.
wink.png

OK, I'm picking. There will be no Russell on my bike. Had a buddy that had one on his Beemer and sorry, I just can't get past the look. He loved it. I just can't marry Massey Ferguson and Yamaha FJR with each other.
no.gif
If you have one and like it I am happy for you. Everyone has their own butt and must adjust accordingly.

Did a Bun Burner Gold on the old Corbin rebuilt by Sargent on my Beemer and I must admit it wasn't my butt that I was concerned about when we finished.

Still no one weighed in on the Frenchy seat as to is it hard foam, soft foam? If you go to the website provided by raesewell, thank you sir, they do have lots of options.

The first Corbin I bought for a Honda Sabre was pretty hard. Put it on the bike, climbed on and thought, How much did I pay for this thing? Took it out on a long ride and after 400 miles realized my butt didn't hurt like it normally would. Hence my entry into non stock seats. A seat has been my first purchase on every bike since.

I do appreciate all the wisdom from everyone. A seat thread is sort of like an oil thread, or which tire is the best. There is no answer but probably anything is better than stock. The stocker rolled me down toward the tank on the boys so it had to go.

Now, which windshield is best???????
bike.gif

Latest posts