Free Stainless Steel Brake Lines for a Gen 2 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
Galfer is looking for someone to leave their Generation 2 FJR (06 or 07) at the Galfer shop in Oxnard, CA for three days to measure and fit new brake lines. This will allow them to offer a part number for the new bikes. If anyone in the area would like to volunteer, please do it by phone only to me at my shop number. First come, first served. One bike only.

Jeff

707-224-9262

How much to ship a Gen II to CA? from Western Australia. F*%# it all!
Probably less than what it's gonna cost for all those short bits of stainless plumbing that the '06+ models with their linked brakes will need!!

It's the RETURN shipping that'll break the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a silly question, what the hell do you need SS brakelines for on an FJR??? They do look pretty, but there isn't a sign of sponginess in the stock brake lines that I can feel, in fact they were the biggest surprise of the entire package, by that I mean how fantastic they are.

Here's a silly question, what the hell do you need SS brakelines for on an FJR??? They do look pretty, but there isn't a sign of sponginess in the stock brake lines that I can feel, in fact they were the biggest surprise of the entire package, by that I mean how fantastic they are.
Ooooh, they make a big difference, especially in the 'feel' or 'feedback' and especially with the rear brake. I'll be tossing a set on the DL, too. Hmmmmm, hey Jeff do they need an '07 ABS 650 Strom? :)

Ooooh, they make a big difference, especially in the 'feel' or 'feedback' and especially with the rear brake. I'll be tossing a set on the DL, too. Hmmmmm, hey Jeff do they need an '07 ABS 650 Strom? :)
Put them on a Concours, difference like night and day. Fully understand that it makes a huge difference on some bikes because the of expansion of the line. I totally reworked my brakes on my Sprint, teflon pistons, larger master cylinder, independent SS lines from MC to caliper, yada, yada, so I'm no stranger to brakes, BUT my 06 FJR brakes are fantastic and I doubt whether anyone could really tell the difference adding SS lines would give.

Jeff,

Thanks! I have a call into Galfer.

Sprint ST,

Maybe next week I will let you know if there is a difference. I do know that I just completed the ERC course and the instuctors were very impressed with the stopping capabilities of the 06 FJR. Alot of bikes were there and in real world situations, with all different types of bikes and riders, the 06 FJR did outstanding. Enough so for the ERC instructor to make a couple very positive comments.

As you can see from Barabas' post, he was the first guy to volunteer. I am looking forward to the results.

Jeff,
Thanks! I have a call into Galfer.

Sprint ST,

Maybe next week I will let you know if there is a difference. I do know that I just completed the ERC course and the instuctors were very impressed with the stopping capabilities of the 06 FJR. Alot of bikes were there and in real world situations, with all different types of bikes and riders, the 06 FJR did outstanding. Enough so for the ERC instructor to make a couple very positive comments.
There is no doubt that when it comes time to replace my brake lines, it WILL be SS lines that I do the job with. I just think it may be a little early for the change, but then again, you shouldn't "have to" change for a long time when the put the SS lines on.

I just had a mind fart and went out in the garage to look at and feel my brake lines. Those puppies are not typical stock rubber brake lines. My Sprint came standard with "SS" lines but didn't look like what most of us think a SS line should look like. Fact is the line isn't SS at all, they are some kind of plastic with a SS braid on the outside to protect and maybe some reinforcement. The FJR lines may not be the pretty SS braided lines but they ARE hard which may be why they are so good. If the FJR stock lines are made of a similar type of plastic that resists expansion under pressure they may accomplish the same job as SS lines. But the definitely aren't as pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR lines may not be the pretty SS braided lines but they ARE hard which may be why they are so good. If the FJR stock lines are made of a similar type of plastic that resists expansion under pressure they may accomplish the same job as SS lines....
Brake Lines are supposed to be changed every 4 years (per the owners manual).... so .... Gafler making a ss set is a good thing whether it be for improved feel, or for an upgrade to OEM parts for the 4 year maintenance replacement.

The FJR lines may not be the pretty SS braided lines but they ARE hard which may be why they are so good. If the FJR stock lines are made of a similar type of plastic that resists expansion under pressure they may accomplish the same job as SS lines....
Brake Lines are supposed to be changed every 4 years (per the owners manual).... so .... Gafler making a ss set is a good thing whether it be for improved feel, or for an upgrade to OEM parts for the 4 year maintenance replacement.
Definitely agree that having Galfer, and I would hope Goodridge, Spiegler and Russell are doing likewise, is a good thing. Just an FYI, Spiegler for one could make you a set right now if you have the line lengths and fitting styles in the color of your choice. Good news is that they all have about 3 years before even the earliest 06 will need them.