front fork rebuild

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Have to get seals replaced, one is weeping a tad. Question 1, should I get the forks rebuilt (bushings etc)? since they will be in there anyway, and 2 should all yamaha parts be used?, or are there superior aftermarket parts. I am not trying to go frugal here, quality is my main concern. Appreciate all veteran input for my 08.

For a simple weeping seal, you might be able to rescue it with a Seal-Mate. Worth a shot. Changing oil and a seal can be done without complete rebuild, but once you disassemble the forks, the slides will be thrashed. You can spend a lot of money on aftermarket springs and cartridges, and people who have them like them. Not cheap by any means, and usually means shipping them.

31QyoKdC-pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fred W just showed me about the sealmate for my leaking seal and also suggested cutting out of a plastic milk carton the same shape as a seal mate. I used it...and even dumb ol me got it corrected...so you've got hope.

Here is a link to the "how to" video that Fred W forwarded to me...linky

How many miles?

If the seal mate or equivalent doesn't work and you have to disassemble then I would definitely replace all seals and bushings with OEM parts. Gen II FJRs are known to be tough on their bushings. Most seem pretty worn out around 30k miles.

Guessing that you don't have more than 25000 on yours since we both have the same year. Same thing happened to mine at that mile mark, and I had one seal slightly leaking. I skeptically tried the sealmates, and after 5000 more miles...dry as a bone. For around 10 bucks shipped for two, I would give them a try if I were you. I traced the profile of each one on the opposite end, so I ended up with four!

Fred W just showed me about the sealmate for my leaking seal and also suggested cutting out of a plastic milk carton the same shape as a seal mate. I used it...and even dumb ol me got it corrected...so you've got hope.

Here is a link to the "how to" video that Fred W forwarded to me...linky
Thanks Mark. I just discovered my Trials bike fork seal leaking so I'll give it a go.

Have to get seals replaced, one is weeping a tad. Question 1, should I get the forks rebuilt (bushings etc)? since they will be in there anyway, and 2 should all yamaha parts be used?, or are there superior aftermarket parts. I am not trying to go frugal here, quality is my main concern. Appreciate all veteran input for my 08.
Try the Seal Mate first, I have made all the special tools need to rebuild the forks, if it can wait we can do them at the tech meet Oct 13th.

Here is a list of parts you will need.

You’ll need 2 of each.

4SV-23135-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Lower Bushing)

3P6-23135-00-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Middle Bushing)

4SV-23125-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 1 (Upper Bushing)

4SV-23115-00-00 GUIDE, COVER UPPER (Washer)

4SV-23145-01-00 OIL SEAL

4SV-23156-00-00 CLIP, OIL SEAL (Ring clip)

4SV-23144-00-00 SEAL, DUST (Dust seal)

You’ll also need 2L of fork oil

Total cost from CyclePartsWarehouse.com is around $75.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the Seal Mate first, I have made all the special tools need to rebuild the forks, if it can wait we can do them at the tech meet Oct 13th.

Here is a list of parts you will need.

Youll need 2 of each.

4SV-23135-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Lower Bushing)

3P6-23135-00-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Middle Bushing)

4SV-23125-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 1 (Upper Bushing)

4SV-23115-00-00 GUIDE, COVER UPPER (Washer)

4SV-23145-01-00 OIL SEAL

4SV-23156-00-00 CLIP, OIL SEAL (Ring clip)

4SV-23144-00-00 SEAL, DUST (Dust seal)

Youll also need 2L of fork oil

Total cost from CyclePartsWarehouse.com is around $75.00
Thanks Marcus, I have copied the list of parts needed but I will not be doing it, it will be a trusted shop. I have not done any serious wrenching for many years due to physical reasons. Can still ride and B.S though. Seal-mates ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also try:

www.partshark.com

They are the cheapest Yamaha OEM reseller I can find. Excellent service as well. My parts usually ship the same day (or next day at the latest).

P.S. - If you get into the forks, change the bushings. Do a search on "fork seal replacement" - there's an excellent write up with plenty of pictures to help guide you if you are planning to do it yourself.

How many miles?

If the seal mate or equivalent doesn't work and you have to disassemble then I would definitely replace all seals and bushings with OEM parts. Gen II FJRs are known to be tough on their bushings. Most seem pretty worn out around 30k miles.
Bingo, 30,157miles. If sealmate fails its complete rebuild time.

You might also try:

www.partshark.com

They are the cheapest Yamaha OEM reseller I can find. Excellent service as well. My parts usually ship the same day (or next day at the latest).
I disagree. Don't have a dog in the fight other than to save people money. My last 8 part orders over the summer have all been cheapest on powersportsplus (related company to boats dot net).

For example, the fork parts needed for a GenII are $66.26 on partshark and $64.00 on ps+ (shipping was 10.50 and 9.39 respectively-in fact you can add up to $99 and the shipping will remain at 9.39 vice partshark which keeps going up). I found their service to be very good as well.

As to fork rebuild, my bushings top and bottom bushings were totally shot at 27k (middle had a little coating left on them, but not much). No leaks though. I carry a SealMate with me.

Mountain - thanks for this info. I need to make a parts order now and I will check powersportsplus before I pull the trigger.

Much obliged.

Hard to believe that Yamaha would build a nice machine like the FJR and the forks would be worn out in less than 30,000 miles. I've got almost 30k on my 08 and no seeping yet. I just rebuilt my Vmax forks without replacing the bushings. I hope the fork legs don't collapse at high speeds. I tried the seal mate on the Vmax forks before I replaced the seals and It made it worse. I guess they needed replacing pretty bad. Anyway it's kind of disappointing to know my forks on the FJR are worn out.

GP

update. Used the sealmate and in spite of my thumbs it seems to have solved the problem, at least short term.After a couple of hundred miles around the neighborhood and a 1288 mile trip it is all still good. I am gathering the factory parts (thanks Marcus)for a rebuild, and also have RaceTech fork springs on the way. Recent article in MCN stated from the factory, FJRs are sprung for a 160 lb rider. .80 on the spring scale. I have ordered 1.00s for my 200+ lbs.(thanks George). What a great website this is.

update. Used the sealmate and in spite of my thumbs it seems to have solved the problem, at least short term.After a couple of hundred miles around the neighborhood and a 1288 mile trip it is all still good. I am gathering the factory parts (thanks Marcus)for a rebuild, and also have RaceTech fork springs on the way. Recent article in MCN stated from the factory, FJRs are sprung for a 160 lb rider. .80 on the spring scale. I have ordered 1.00s for my 200+ lbs.(thanks George). What a great website this is.
Fresh internals and new springs will help out the forks. Once you have that done Jim, time to spring(!) for a new aftermarket shock. You'll be amazed at the improvement!

--G