Front fork suspension settings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the little adjuster knobs on the fork caps do? There is a black knob and a nut underneath that I believe is also an adjuster. Is there a recommended "baseline" setting for either of these?

The lowest nut on the top of the fork is not something you should touch unless you are replacing the shock fluid. The next one up from the bottom is the pre-load adjustment. Some adjust it for comfort but it is really designed to adjust the suspension for your weight. The knob at the top is the Rebound Dampening Force adjustment. On the lower edge of the fork (near the wheel and brake disk) is the Compression Dampening Force adjustment. To set them to the factory settings:

Front Pre-Load: Turn clockwise until all the way down then back so that 3 lines show. Use to set your Sag.

Front Rebound: Turn it clockwise all the way in (until the clicking stops), then back out (counter clockwise) 12 clicks. Counter clockwise is harder, clockwise is softer.

Front Compression: Turn the screw (not the ring around the screw!) clockwise until the clicks stop, then counter clockwise 12 clicks. Counter clockwise is harder, clockwise is softer.

Do the same for both shocks. You should set both to the same settings.

As for how to set it after that it depends on what is comfortable to you and how you ride. If you take the corners hard then you're going to want to lessen the compression (turn the lower screw counter clockwise). And on and on and on. Here is a useful post from another site which does an excellent job of describing all of the possible adjustments: https://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=10012 . Don't pay any attention to where they say the adjustments are or what the setting should be (it's not an FJR site and our forks are different). Do pay attention to what they say each does and when you should make changes to any of them. I listed how to make changes above.

Also see here: https://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/suspension-set-up-on-a-suzuki-gsx-r600/

Ignore the Sag setting for the rear. We only have "Soft" or "Hard" and no fine tuning. If you are a heavy guy then go with "Hard".

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it was a serious inquiry. Thanks for the answers, Monkey and Mcride. :)
Friendly Reminder:

Everything on suspension tuning is predicated on the correct sag adjusted for your weight, through the preloads.

Tuning the compression and rebound is only approximate, instead of accurate, if the sag is not correct.

If I may be so bold, as a mere CBA peep, to make a suggestion to a serious IBA peep?

Spend some $$, ride up to GP Suspension (just north of Salem, Or) and have them work your forks, at least. If budget allows, slap on a penske rear.

The results are *startling* good - easier smoother Interstate rides for the LD stuff and *lots* more fun in the CBA corners..

All this, assuming of course, you're stock, which you're probably not!

off topic - when you heading my way for a weekend?

off topic - when you heading my way for a weekend?
One of these days, Don!

OK, so here's the full story. I bought my 05 FJR used in 08. It came with an Ohlins rear shock and Race Tech valves in the front. (probably some kind of aftermarket fork springs too, but I don't have that documented.) I thought it handled OK, but not as well as my previous bike, a BMW. I was satisfied. Then last September I bought a Gold Wing and started spending time on that. It also had aftermarket suspension. After getting comfortable on that bike, and being able to ride it as far as it could go (peg-scraping-wise) then I got back on the FJR. Man, that thing handled like SHIT compared to the porky Wing. Big surprise. So now it's time to get serious about dialing in the FJR suspension.

I had the Ohlins rebuilt, just to freshen 'er up. Then I had a guy help me measure the sag and adjust the rear. We didn't do anything with the front because neither of us knew how to adjust it. I posted this thread and got some good advice. My first task will be to set the front sag, and to set the compression and rebound to the center of their ranges (or whatever was recommended higher up in the thread.) Then we'll see how it goes.

Already, setting the rear sag to a proper level helped immensely. It doesn't handle like shit anymore. But I'm aiming for better than "not like shit."

They boyz at GPS stated that dialing in the front makes more difference than the back. At that time, I already had the Penske installed - it was months later I had new fork springs and valving done.

Them boyz were right!

Be sure to search for HauninAshe posts on suspension - IIRC he has several documents of baseline settings - you might also check fjriders.com, i know he posts over there too.

There are two Ohlins units for the FJR rear. One (YA456 - also called the S46DR1) does not have adjustable compression dampning, only a general Dampning setting which I think changes both the compression and the rebound -Instructions here: https://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Touring/YA-056/ . The second (YA342 - aka S46PR1C1S) has independant adjustments for compression and rebound - Instructions here: https://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Touring/YA-342/ .

With these you can use the descriptions found in the first link I included above (the GSXR link) to tune the bike just the way you want it and to correct any problems you have.

Beware- Harder/Softer, More/Less can get a little screwy when talking about suspension tuning. Some may say "Increase your compression" which sounds like they are saying "Allow it to compress more (or more easily)" when in reality what they mean is "Increase your compression dampening" which actually means "Reduce the amount which the shock can compress." Total opposites.

David