front forks tubes-pitting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strike3

Reaction score
I have an 07 jfr that I sent the front forks to GP for upgrade, has anybody look at their tubes and noticed them to be pitting. Mine need replacing, I bought this bike new in 08, have kept it clean and at 3 years and 20k miles seems bad to have them pitting/need replacing due to the chrome pitting. Check yours!

I have an 07 jfr that I sent the front forks to GP for upgrade, has anybody look at their tubes and noticed them to be pitting. Mine need replacing, I bought this bike new in 08, have kept it clean and at 3 years and 20k miles seems bad to have them pitting/need replacing due to the chrome pitting. Check yours!
Pretty common when you are around salt water. :angry2:

Yours are chrome?

You may be able to polish it out with Autosol and 1600 wet and dry.

I had debris stuck in the dust seal that scraped the fork tubes that casued the oil seal to leak.

I did the final polish on a buffer wheel, all ok.

I suppose it depends how deep the pit marks are ?

Cheers

Stike I have replaced fork seals on several bikes with rust pitted fork tubes and I used 400-600 grit sandpaper on them and didn't leak after the job. Yes a professional shop will want to replace the fork tube in order to warranty the job they did. But I have had great success just sanding the fork tubes and no leaking seals afterwards. So unless the pits are really huge or very deep I wouldn't replace the tubes. Just my 2 cents.

Yours are chrome?
If they are not chrome they are still pitting,It was my choice to go ahead and replace them. I beleive if you are going to spend the money you might as well have it done right the first time. just thought everybody should start looking at theirs and see if they are having the same problem.

Never had that problem,but then again I live in central Texas. I believe they are polished steel, not chrome plated. Just an FYI. :)

GP

Is GP saying they need replaced? If they say they need replaced, I'd replace them because they know their stuff.

I had them rebuild my forks a couple years ago during a ride-in appointment. I watched the whole process and they chucked the tubes up in a lathe and polished them as part of the process. So unless they are too trashed, they should be able to fix them.

Is GP saying they need replaced? If they say they need replaced, I'd replace them because they know their stuff.

I had them rebuild my forks a couple years ago during a ride-in appointment. I watched the whole process and they chucked the tubes up in a lathe and polished them as part of the process. So unless they are too trashed, they should be able to fix them.
Gp gave me the choice to make,I had them replace them, i am waiting for them to finish the rebuild and also order the penske shock. They "GP" have been great to work with and by the way they are giving me a forum member discount.