Front Tire Wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennFJR07

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been posted earlier; I have spent some time searching but did not find this specific issue. Please advise if I have missed it though.

I have 3500 miles on an ’07 FJR that I purchased new. Although I do not ride excessively with no hands, haha, when I let go of the handle bars (with my hands cupped around the grips  ) the front wheel begins to oscillate and it gets increasingly intense. This does not happen below 35 and it is also smooth above 55… Even at 80mph, if I quickly move my fingers off grips, the ride is still smooth.

The front tire is beginning to flatten just slightly, but is not very visible. It’s only evident when running a finger across the tire.

Again, I do not ride “hands free” much, however, I am quite sure the bike did not always have this oscillation at 45 mph.

Covered about 11 billion times.

- First, 3500 miles is just about the right amount of miles/time to have your head bearings re-torqued. A good percentage have needed to have that done. It's not hard, but does require a stupid special tool that many of us have. You might be able to find someone near you that has one to loan.

- Second, it's inherent in this bike, the head shake or shimmy during decel around 40-50 MPH, almost always non-existent with new tires but gets worse as they age.

- Some tires are worse than others.

i really appreciate the quick response, and i hate being one of those "too lazy to search" guys, how do i better search for specific topics like that? just good ole fashioned read through all the thread topics?

Thanks again, probably will have to have my dealer do this, i'm pretty un mechanical.

Matt

how do i better search for specific topics like that? just good ole fashioned read through all the thread topics?
Try vibration handlebars tire wear site:fjrforum.com at Google and read through threads. Substitute search terms for others including 35, cupped, and other adjectives. ...and yes, some reading. Unfortunately, there rarely is a single answer in all cases. It often involves things like tires, pressure, weight distribution, suspension settings, steering head bearing torque, accessories, speed, and/or windshield position, etc.

We do need somebody to build an FAQ on this commonly asked and answered subject.