Front Tires and front end decel shake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
We have all talked about it in one thread or another. I am going to try to make a 1 thread stop for those that do and do not have a shake.

I felt it was inherent to the bike after reading all the threads but it may just be the way skins interact on the bike.

Lets find out shall we?

please refer from fresh mounted new skins (no cupping potential etc)

From personal experience I know the stock Metz Z 6 had the shake, and the Avon Storms Had the Shake. I now have Pilot Powers on with no shake after 2,500 miles.

I would guess the old Azaros did it and from the stock BattleAxes from the # of FNGs asking about the shake.

Please post in simple format to make it easy to tally

(fronts only)

Example

Storms - Shake

Pilot Powers - no shake or don't shake

Thanks

Edit****

Just to be clear, I am talking about the hands off the bars test

Last edited by a moderator:
Z6's shook from new. I spin balance front tires on my bikes with an old electric spinner at 70-80mph. I added 1/2 oz. to the front tire and the Z6's were fine. The rear, I balance by putting the bike on the center stand and running up to 70-80 mph, watching for vibration. Add wt. accordingly. I never have a problem.

Pilot roads now-5,000 miles-no shake 2007 fjr

New tires:

Z6's, no shake

PR's, no shake

Azaros, no shake

ME880, no shake

BT-021, no shake

I've never found tires new to be a variable in decel shake.

Z6's (New) No shake

Z6's (~7k) very mild to light shake, no visible cupping

Storms (New) very light Shake, more like a shimmy :)

Storms (~8.k Miles on front, on second Rear) Shake rattle and roll

New tires:
Z6's, no shake

PR's, no shake

Azaros, no shake

ME880, no shake

BT-021, no shake

Ok

So far only Renegade and myself have headshake on Avons. Everyone else is saying thay have NO DECEL HEADSHAKE at all reguardless of tire correct?

Iggy, your bike does not exhibit the 40-50 mph headshake everyone says they have? Your statement confuses me and could be interpreted as no headshake at all or I have headshake, but tires don't seem to affect it.

Z6's (New) No shake

Z6's (4k) very mild to light shake, with visible cupping

Storms (New) Shake rattle and roll

Storms rebalanced better but still shake, adjusted suspension

better but still some light shake.

New tires:
Z6's, no shake

PR's, no shake

Azaros, no shake

ME880, no shake

BT-021, no shake

Ok

So far only Renegade and myself have headshake on Avons. Everyone else is saying thay have NO DECEL HEADSHAKE at all reguardless of tire correct?

Iggy, your bike does not exhibit the 40-50 mph headshake everyone says they have? Your statement confuses me and could be inturpreted as no headshake at all or I have headshake, but tires don't seem to affect it.

Yep. Never found a brand new tire to be related to decel shake. I did have an Avon that started to shake after 500-100 miles of wear....but never new as your question narrowly asked.

It was the worst one I had when used...one of the 5 or 6 front Azarros I've had. It was more like 45 to 35...but close enough. And I don't know if it was the tire, balancing, or some other variable...although I *think* it was one of the funky ones that happened once in a while.

Yep. Never found a brand new tire to be related to decel shake. I did have an Avon that started to shake after 500-100 miles of wear....but never new as your question narrowly asked.
To me, those two statements contradict each other as well as a few other postings

M1 bad shake after 3k

Avon Azaros - no shake (hands off shake started after ~8000 miles)

Z6's (New) No shakeZ6's (4k) very mild to light shake, with visible cupping
To me, it looks like a pattern is forming that the headshake is not a mis-torqued nut, or tapered vs roller bearings, but how our bike wears its shoes.

BUELLER?

Iggy, your bike does not exhibit the 40-50 mph headshake everyone says they have?
Everyone? :huh: Mine is dead stable at any speed - hands on or off - with the Avons. I submit that short a completely faulty tire (which, by the way, has never, ever been established on any tire for this machine except for a few Z4 and Z6 front separations... oh, and that one glorious episode with Conti Attacks), that in all likelihood, the condition commonly referred to as 'wobble', exists due to some other shortcoming in the individual machine.

To me, those two statements contradict each other
Those two statements were contrary to each other? Hmmm. Whatever.

You're trying to tackle an issue on a forum. And, you appear to have an intriguinghypothesis, but instead of an experiment to prove or disprove it you're asking people to self-report in lieu of some experiment. That *may* not yield very scientific results...and become the fodder of the various adjectives of the title of this topic area.

Good luck with that though. :rolleyes:

Z-6's slight headshake at 700 miles. (When I bought the '06 FJR used.)

Avon Storms:

1st set- slight headshake 30-50 mph. Headshake became worse as front tire wore down.

2nd set- rock solid, hands free. 6,000 miles on the second set. (Without the top trunk.)

Note: I removed the Yamaha top trunk due to cracking when I put the second set of Storms on. Since getting the new top trunk I have noticed that when running with it on I have a slight deceleration head shake and a hands free head shake below 50 mph. I also notice that the bikes stability is affected above 100 mph with the top trunk on.

I'm beginning to believe the headshake is normally due to factors other than tire brand, at least when new. I'm inclined to believe it is a "suspension" set-up problem or other mechanical problem. JMHO

LC