Fuel Cell Fittings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
What should be used to seal the threaded fittings properly (Bulkhead/nipple, shut-off/nipple). Is there a specific compound to be used or would teflon tape work?

Canadian FJR

I just spoke with tech support from Permatex and they recommended this: Permatex 56521 High Performance Thread

"Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant is formulated for

fast, responsive curing on metal pipe threads and fittings."

Canadian FJR

There are a couple of different compunds you could use.

Here's an interesting link: https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/bulkhead.html

In that link they suggest:

After a liberal application of Permatex "Motorcycle" Form-a-Gasket, I tightened the fitting in place. [Aviation-grade Permatex (3d) will also work well, both are gasoline proof, but the motorcycle grade has a wider temp. range (up to 400 degrees F.)].
I used Permatex "Motoseal 1" (for motorcycles, watercraft, snowmobiles & small engines), and it is working just fine.

Typical and normal disclaimers apply, use at your own risk, YMMV, etc.

Just an addition, teflon tape is not fuel proof. If you go with tape, try to find some "Gas Seal Tape". It's yellow, made by Unasco in Australia. 1/2" wide is cheap @ $2.50 or so a roll, but not as cheap as teflon tape.

I just used the Permatex and some Loctite PST for mine. No leaks so far, (in 65k or so).