Fuel Cell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
For any of you folks running a fuel cell, what do you do during those rides that the cell is not needed. Do you have enough confidence in the disconnect to simply unbolt the cell and leave the line coming from the tank as is? Also, what length of line do you have coming from the bulkhead to the disconnect?

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

I just leave mine on.

But then again, I fill it at every stop too.

I used to bounce this cell

Pizza Box Cell

between my '04 FJR and '04 KTM 950 Adventure S.

The line on the KTM leaked once but I just has some warranty work done so it wasn't the bikes fault.

What type of cell are you using?

Yep, I have the Motion Pro disconnect and confident in removing it. If anything I had an issue where it wouldn't feed when I reconnected it and clogged it with FOD. (Imagine side of the road with no fuel transfer and me stabbing a ball point pen trying to get it open...and a piece of the pen remains in the connector)

Extra length is probably about a foot. I run a lazy loop of fuel line under the cell in a 270 degree arc to the fuel cell feed.

I only use the cell when traveling/rallies, so most of the time it's off the bike. It's probably on the bike 3-4 weeks a year. Never a leak, no problems w/the disconnect. I run a 1/2" line to the tank.

Mine stays on all the time. If I have to remove it, I made a plug for the far end of the gas line when it comes off the petcock. Nothing fancy. I have a quick disconnect but in my mind it was just one more part that could fail so never installed it.

Aux Tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Rhody Rally.

I've used those Motion Pro quick disconnects on my race bike and mine have failed 100% of the time.

Mostly the O-rings split and fall off.

Yep, Rhody Rally.I've used those Motion Pro quick disconnects on my race bike and mine have failed 100% of the time.

Mostly the O-rings split and fall off.
That's a really interesting comment. Not what I would have expected to happen but certainly in the back of my mind why I didn't use one. How many times does that 100% add up to ?

Do you think it's possible that they simply did not use O-rings suitable for a gas environment ? When I put the bulkhead fitting in my tank, it was sealed with O-rings which were designated as being suitable for gas.

Interesting. I have used these white QD's that are quite similar to the Motion Pro (perhaps even identical or otherwise same-sourced), and mine have leak-free and performing as advertised 100% of the time, for the past 6 years, on three different bikes, for well, well over a quarter million miles....
shrug.gif

I've only been using marine outboard quick disconnects, (dry break fittings), for oh...........70k or so. ;) I've had one fail to connect properly in that time when I was putting the cell back on. Zero leaks when disconnected. Since I always have a spare set around on the bike, I just installed the spare and went for a ride. Replacing the spare was as easy as the nearest fishing supply store.

These are brass. Only porcupine violaters and 'Busa abusers use plastic dry break fittings. Oh yeah, and Caponord riders....

:D

Typically my cell stays on the bike most of the time, but I do pull it several times a year for two up riding or service work. Look for Nissan or Chrysler Force style fittings. They have hose barbs and will work for most of your applications.

For over 4 years my Tanji cell has been off a few times to two up with my daughter. Lines and couplings have never leaked and is easy to remove and replace. Even though I have ridden only one official rally I do enjoy 1000 mile days when traveling. It seems while riding my other bikes without a cell they become limited when traveling compared when riding with my cell on the FJR.

Sorry for not replying.

I wasn't subscribed but now I am.

I've used those plastic Motion Pro disconnects on my old race bikes to make yanking the tank easier if need be between races.

I've tosses all of them (probably 4-6) over my illustrious racing career (1-4 weekends a year for 9 years).

I don't have NEARLY as many miles on them as WC does but for whatever reason all of mine have failed.

Could it be user error?

I suppose it could.

I'd like to think I could handle as simple a device as that but anything's possible.

Of the few bikes I've used them on only one got "Race Gas" and all the others got standard pump gas so that wasn't it.

IIRC most of them leaked when disconnected but I'm sure I've had at least one that leaked when connected.

Luckily I could it before it looked like Colin Edwards on the Aprilia.

Now I use the stainless version from Sampson Sport Touring and although they take up a little more room that are bullet proof.

So far they are even Catfish proof!!!

Latest posts