Fuel Cell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a aux fuel cell (Without Researching) and the following pictures

are what I came up with. I understand it was designed by Bill Mcvan, but I would like

any other info I can get. The brackets take most of the mounting guessing away. But now

I am seeking hardware and plumbing advice to make this IBA accepted.

Any links or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Top with overflow

PB240385.jpg

Brackets

[
PB240386.jpg

Bottom (On side)

PB240383.jpg

Bottom

PB240384.jpg

Bracket position (Under seat)

PB250388.jpg

Tank with brackets

PB240382.jpg

It sounds like you and Canadian FJR are in the same boat. PM him and you guys can tag team this.

edit: ...and for the love of all things holy, lose that fugly cap!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for a used one of those tanks but with no I luck in finding one I decided to purchase another design. That is a very nice cell. As Huron52 mentioned, send Bill an e-mail and he can supply all the missing parts. Several folks have used those cells for various rallies and IB events. Let me know if you are ever interesetd in selling it. :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

I recently picked up a aux fuel cell (Without Researching) and the following pictures

are what I came up with. I understand it was designed by Bill Mcvan, but I would like

any other info I can get. The brackets take most of the mounting guessing away. But now

I am seeking hardware and plumbing advice to make this IBA accepted.

Any links or advice would greatly be appreciated.

What is the cell fuel volume ?

The cell must have baffels or anti slosh foam to be compliant. IBR inspection team Tom Austin suggests a minimum of 5% head space.

What is the cell fuel volume ?

The cell must have baffels or anti slosh foam to be compliant. IBR inspection team Tom Austin suggests a minimum of 5% head space.

The cell was purchased from a IBR vet. He said the cell is in total compliance with IBA specs,

it was made for a Gen 1 fjr. He was a former Fjr owner. bUTT now I must finish off the hardware

and plumbing and install it in an acceptable (IBA approved) manner. I would like to install it

so that I could quickly disconnect it for riding 2 up.

I was looking for a used one of those tanks but with no I luck in finding one I decided to purchase another design.
My mistake.

The cap may be fugly but functional.. Bayonet design, metal chain secured. Very efficient at fuel stops. I would not change..
functional but ugly, ... that's what I meant. :rolleyes: Ignore that earlier post. I was PUI and I still carry a deep emotional scar that was fuel cap related.

That's a nice tank. Does the Top Gun use the same attachment points? They look very similar except that the BLM brackets attach directly to the tank and the Top gun tank rests in a tray.

auxcell_top_LG.jpg

(https://www.fjrgoodies.com/gallery/TOPGUN/AUXCELL/auxcell_top_LG.jpg)

I was looking for a used one of those tanks but with no I luck in finding one I decided to purchase another design.
My mistake.

The cap may be fugly but functional.. Bayonet design, metal chain secured. Very efficient at fuel stops. I would not change..
functional but ugly, ... that's what I meant. :rolleyes: Ignore that earlier post. I was PUI and I still carry a deep emotional scar that was fuel cap related.

That's a nice tank. Does the Top Gun use the same attachment points? They look very similar except that the BLM brackets attach directly to the tank and the Top gun tank rests in a tray.

auxcell_top_LG.jpg

(https://www.fjrgoodies.com/gallery/TOPGUN/AUXCELL/auxcell_top_LG.jpg)
The brackets mount to the seat as shown. The tank has 2 rails welded on the underside which line up to the

bracket holes. The holes on the brackets are threaded, so I assume a bolt W/washer or lock nut should be used.

The rear arm on the bracket is also threaded, but it looks like I might have to replace the original bolt with one with

more length (?) I am interested in the routing of your overflow line. Do you have a pic with a better view? If I am not

mistaken; this must be seperate from main fuel overflow (No tie-in) And mounted to rear of tire (?)

If I could find a prefabbed kit with hoses and nuts, washers and bolts AND instructions, this would make the install

a snap. I work at the PO and December is a bad time for trying this install. BTW is there a Linda T's cover made for this

tank? AND have you ever heard of coating the tank with a truck bed liner coating?

The brackets mount to the seat as shown. The tank has 2 rails welded on the underside which line up to the

bracket holes. The holes on the brackets are threaded, so I assume a bolt W/washer or lock nut should be used.

The rear arm on the bracket is also threaded, but it looks like I might have to replace the original bolt with one with

more length (?)
My tank looks like this:

IMG_0129.JPG

The photo of the Top Gun tank from FJRGoodies wasn't meant to confuse. I was wondering about the attachment of your BLM vs. the Top Gun. The question was put out there for anyone to answer.

Ignacio has quite a few photos of the BLM tank installed on his bike and the album is public. Take a look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/eltopia/FJR#

I am interested in the routing of your overflow line. Do you have a pic with a better view? If I am not

mistaken; this must be seperate from main fuel overflow (No tie-in) And mounted to rear of tire (?)
Unfortunately, no. I don't have a decent photo of the vent/overflow line. It has about two loops in it and a fuel filter. The loops act as a rollover valve and the filter is intended to filter the air that enters. The filter needs to be high enough so that it doesn't suck water from rain/road spay and behind/below the roll over loops so it doesn't get soaked with fuel.

If I could find a prefabbed kit with hoses and nuts, washers and bolts AND instructions, this would make the install

a snap.
Try this:

How to contact BLM-Accessories.com

[email protected]

BTW is there a Linda T's cover made for this

tank? AND have you ever heard of coating the tank with a truck bed liner coating?
I'm sure she does, and I don't see any reason why you would want to ruin your beautiful tank with RHino Lining

Last edited by a moderator: