FUEL Geyser! HELP!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1300

Reaction score
Had something VERY strange happen yesterday.

After a long HOT ride across Utah, I stopped to fuel the bike.

Tank bag was on the bike. Ive been riding with a tank bag for years.

PROBLEM: When I opened the fuel cap to add fuel a Geyser of fuel shot out of the tank!

The bike has been running great! What would cause fuel to shoot out of the tank like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just under the cap is an orange rubber piece that connects the vent when cap is closed. Somehow mine got tipped over and caused a similar condition.

IMG_1070.jpg

Check this first!

I hate to say this, but I won't let that stop me ;) Type geyser in the search box and the results will include 2-3 threads about gas geysers that absolutely cover the issue with solutions in great detail, including pixs, arrows and step-by-step instructions.

I hate to say this, but I won't let that stop me ;) Type geyser in the search box and the results will include 2-3 threads about gas geysers that absolutely cover the issue with solutions in great detail, including pixs, arrows and step-by-step instructions.
You are such a gentleman, Alan.

Hizzoner would have treated the OP's question kinda like how Mel Gibson was treated at the end of "Braveheart". :rofl:

. . . Mel Gibson was treated at the end of "Braveheart". :rofl:

Yeah, that looked like it hurt. . . .

Add to the geyser problem I state my own recent finding of having kinked the vent tube under the tank. Had nothing to do with the cap or its venting, the tube was closed off by being folded over. When I raised the tank it unfolded, all everything tested fine, air passed everywhere, still had the pressure problem when running.

Had something VERY strange happen yesterday.After a long HOT ride across Utah, I stopped to fuel the bike.

Tank bag was on the bike. Ive been riding with a tank bag for years.

PROBLEM: When I opened the fuel cap to add fuel a Geyser of fuel shot out of the tank!

The bike has been running great! What would cause fuel to shoot out of the tank like this?
Happened to me one time and one time only after a long hot ride across Nebraska in 2006. Never did figure out why it happened although I remember it scaring the shit out of me. I did later add the Smitty heat shield fix and it has not happened since although I would be lying if I said I don't open the gas cap with heightened care on hot days after 150 miles or so and if I am down to a quarter tank or so. Mine erupted when I was pumping gas into the tank not when I opened the gas cap.

I've got an '05. I live in Phoenix. Very hot combo. Experienced the tank geyser.

I wonder what the all time height record is. I think mine was close.

Anyway, performed the recommended cap, tube, vent maintenance referenced in this thread.

No more gas cap chuffing, huffing, puffing, whatever you want to call it, and no more tank geysers.