Fuel Grade???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gleno

Reaction score
Just curious what fuel is best to run in the FJR. I have always run premium in all the bikes/ATVs/etc.

Wouldn't mind running regular (87 octane) if it's feasable, to save a few nickels, since I'm commuting on this thing now.

BTW, I'm in the 40ish mpg range as well as it seems most are. I checked my mileage for the 1st time yesterday and it rang at 40.373 mpg. The last bar started flashing at 212 miles. I fueled at 215.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run Gasoline. It seams to wurk guud. In before the re-class (to NEPRT) Oh, and seriously? 87 works best, can actually help solve some driveability issues. Oh, and yur Hilary Swank wannabe is getting on my nerves. ;)

I would be glad to copy and mail you an article from the February issue of ROAD RUNNER Motorcycle Cruising & Touring Magazine.

OR

You can go at once to Books A Million and find it in the motorcycle mag section.

" If Octane is good, is More Better? Page 82.

It is 2 pages long and answers all of your questions and it ends with the following paragraph:

The higher the octane rating of gasoline, the more detonation inhibitor compounds it contains. Most of these compounds have lower heat content - combustion enegry - than the alkanes in the fuel they displace. So, in most cases, the higher the octane, the lower the combustion energy. Not only are you wasting money buying higher octane fuel, in most cases you'll be getting marginally inferior performance too. Bottom line - stick to the manufacturer's recommendation.

But if that is true, why do airplanes use higher octane? why do most motors make more HP on a dyno with higher octane? Why are most racing fuels higher (in some cases much) octane? Isn't it more than just preventing preignition? Jestal?

fwiw i use either 87 or 89 myself, in both the car and the bike.

But if that is true, why do airplanes use higher octane?  why do most motors make more HP on a dyno with higher octane? Why are most racing fuels higher (in some cases much) octane?  Isn't it more than just preventing preignition? Jestal?fwiw i use either 87 or 89 myself, in both the car and the bike.
No no no no NO!!!!!

The simple answer: High perforance engines NEED higher octane because they were designed that way. For the most part it is the higher compression ratios in those engines (for more HP) that lead to detonation if using low octane fuel. That is why they require high octane - to resist the detonation that can occurr based on the inherent design characteristics of the engine. And its those same design characteristics that happen to require higher octane to resist detonation, that also allow the engine to produce more HP comparatively.

BTW, FJR manual says to us 87 octane unless you experience detonation (pinging).

So glad I moved this thread to it's new home.

+1 on skooterg's facts.

Not sure on tripletango's cooler comment. Would need to see a cite to a source on that one. It might be plausible.

Interesting on LSUBoy's comment. Seems plausible, but the marginal comment is probably a very small marginal. If additives are a small percentage of the fuel mix and those small amounts contain a small amount less chemical energy....we're talking a REALLY small difference.

Going with the manual myself.

FJR manual says to us 87 octane unless you experience detonation

Oh yeah, well I run 110 octane race fuel in my bike and it sounds better, runs cooler, and is waaaay faster!

But if that is true, why do airplanes use higher octane?  why do most motors make more HP on a dyno with higher octane? Why are most racing fuels higher (in some cases much) octane?  Isn't it more than just preventing preignition? Jestal?fwiw i use either 87 or 89 myself, in both the car and the bike.
No no no no NO!!!!!

The simple answer: High perforance engines NEED higher octane because they were designed that way. For the most part it is the higher compression ratios in those engines (for more HP) that lead to detonation if using low octane fuel. That is why they require high octane - to resist the detonation that can occurr based on the inherent design characteristics of the engine. And its those same design characteristics that happen to require higher octane to resist detonation, that also allow the engine to produce more HP comparatively.

BTW, FJR manual says to us 87 octane unless you experience detonation (pinging).
When the question is why, isn't "No no no no NO!!!!!" the answer to a 4 year old?

:(

I suppose I could have gone on at length to appear more knowledgable than I really am, but the questions still stand. I really want to know more about this. Also, I think I wanted to separate the issues of detonation or ping and generating power.

I am aware that higher compression can cause preigntion or ping or whatever, as well as I am aware that simply retarding the timing will stop/prevent it, but - at the cost of performance/hp. I am aware that additives can and do change the octane of a given distillation of gasoline, or something like that. But, I am not sure that they effect the actual, er, combustion energy is the term used earlier, anyway, I am unsure that is effected much one way or the other. Else we could just use more and put them in diesel fuel.

The "inherent design charateristics" that have an effect on combustion are primarly compression, spark timing, the shape of the chamber at tdc along with temperature, and of course the air fuel mixture. I think we are really only concerned here with the fuel part of that. I see that more dyno hp can result from any method of raising octane and reducing detonation due to the twin effects of being able to raise compression and advance timing.

I strongly suspect that gasoline can be refined to provide more energy from a given unit, thus more hp. I don't know if this would have an effect on ping. I just wondered about that. I stongly suspect that economic and goverment control elements result in a particular grade or whatever of gasoling being refined and then additives are used to adjust the octane to the desired performance or equilivant. Used to be lead, now I don't know what they use. Can the gasoline be refined further to get similar results? or more power from a given unit? If so, why not do so? Would it increase the cost too much? Create more polution?

FWIW, the compression of the FJRs engine is fairly high IIRC, and I felt that 145 crank HP from a normally aspirated <1300 cc engine was pretty high performance as these things go.

That said, I am sorry if my questions aggrevated you Skoot, but I really wanted to know something more than what was here and felt that if I asked, there were those here who could provide those answers. I think I am capable of understanding a more, um, in depth answer but I may very well be deluded and actually just require a stern NO. If you feel so, I will sit down and shut tf up. Just fishing for more information.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So, I apologize for my earlier post. Accepted?

Or is my warning meter about to get some exercise? :rolleyes:

Oh, and as I stated earlier, I use 87 or 89 octane. I use the higher octane some because I sometimes experience a little knock or ping at low rpms and I don't like the clatter. Tried 92 as well, but I couldn't tell any real difference other than the price. <_<

Dude chill. Don't read a slight where there is none.

I am sorry if my repeated "no"s felt like I was chastising you like a child as that was not my intention. Its just that it is a common misconception that higher octane fuel has more "oomph" or energy or whatever that leads to more power, and that is simply NOT TRUE. "Octane" is strictly a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation. I was just trying to answer your "Isn't it more than just preventing preignition?" question with a bit of emphasis in the negative.

And based on your relatively simple question, I didn't go into a dissertation for an answer. If you wanted specific in-depth information, perhaps you should have asked for that. <_<

Here is some reading for you:

How Stuff Works - Octane

FTC on octane

As for your assertion:

I strongly suspect that gasoline can be refined to provide more energy from a given unit, thus more hp.
I seriously doubt that, though I don't know for sure. Read the stuff in the first link and the ones below and then young grasshopper, you shall be all-knowing and powerful like me.

How Stuff Works - Oil Refining

How Stuff Works - Differences in various fuels

Oh yeah - How do I know that you are NOT a 4 year old?

:p

I see that more dyno hp can result from any method of raising octane and reducing detonation due to the twin effects of being able to raise compression and advance timing.
Just as long as you understand that the increased horespower comes from the raised compression and not at all the octane. Compression is the cause, octane is the means to the cause.

I strongly suspect that gasoline can be refined to provide more energy from a given unit, thus more hp.
Although it's theoretically possible for marginal increases, the distillers take the variety of feedstock crude and batch to create the best yield for pump gas. If they upped the energy in some gas--they'd need something else to use the remaining lower energy gas. Market forces with government emission regulations have been very good at creating a stable market and consistent product. The market is in equilibrium with the current distillation techniques.

If you're expecting to get more energy per gallon of hydrocarbons you're going to have to do it yourself and design your own combination of paraffins, iso-paraffins, cyclo-paraffins, aromatics, and olefins.

It's moot unless you're planning to distill your own barrel of heptane in the basement. I hope you don't get any of those benzene rings on you. :blink:

I stongly suspect that economic and goverment control elements result in a particular grade
I hope that's not an allusion to conspiracies or anything.....which I suppose it could be given this thread's home. Grade is very much a result of market forces and marketing hype. Tons of people pay more for higher grade gas when if they don't have a detonation problem--are wasting their money.

Hey Geno - you can run any octane you want -

Just change your darn avatar !!!!

I keep reaching for the Depends when I see that !!!

From Road Runner / Moto Crusing & Touring / Feb 06

Formula 1 has often been the proving ground for new ideas, and so with combustion chamber design. Around 1966, Frank Duckworth (the "Worth" in Cosworth) designed a new four-valve cylinder head with a shallow combustion chamber and narrow included valve angles for the Ford-Cosworth F1 car.

The Cosworth DFV-V-8 became the "winningest" F1 engine ever with 167 Grand Prix victories. It's still the BASIC blueprint for ALL MODERN high-performance four-stroke engine design.

All these developments allowed the use of higher compression ratios without detonation by improving combustion efficiency, so that NOW A MODERN high comprression sportbike with 12:1 compression can run comfortably on 87 -octane gas.

Me? Everything I own runs off 87 octane including my 460 CID motorhome. What I don't understand is why a modern Harley Davidson Motorcycle can't run off anything but 93 or 92 octane?

From Road Runner / Moto Crusing & Touring / Feb 06
Formula 1 has often been the proving ground for new ideas, and so with combustion chamber design. Around 1966, Frank Duckworth (the "Worth" in Cosworth) designed a new four-valve cylinder head with a shallow combustion chamber and narrow included valve angles for the Ford-Cosworth F1 car.

The Cosworth DFV-V-8 became the "winningest" F1 engine ever with 167 Grand Prix victories. It's still the BASIC blueprint for ALL MODERN high-performance four-stroke engine design.

All these developments allowed the use of higher compression ratios without detonation by improving combustion efficiency, so that NOW A MODERN high comprression sportbike with 12:1 compression can run comfortably on 87 -octane gas.

Me? Everything I own runs off 87 octane including my 460 CID motorhome. What I don't understand is why a modern Harley Davidson Motorcycle can't run off anything but 93 or 92 octane?
Because, except for the Vrod engines, the Harley engines have ancient combustion chamber designs, thus requiring hi $$$ gasoline.