Fuel tank bulkhead fitting questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specter

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to add the bulkhead fitting to my tank. I've studied the steps on fjr1300.info

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/bulkhead.html

And the question is - how many have safety-wired the internal nut? Is it overkill?

I'd like to skip the step if there's enough evidence amongst the installations to give peace of mind. Especially since it will be difficult for me to drill the nut with the tools at hand.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't nor have I heard of anybody doing it. Nor have I heard of failures or leaks of them from anybody that securely torqued them.

Pussy.. I safety wired my nuts once.
Yes, but I believe the OP is asking if anyone has DRILLED them before. :crazy:

OT - I've got a whole buncha worry-free miles on a hand-torqued, safety wire free bulkhead fitting. :)

Thanks all - I guess I'll skip the safety wire - tank surgery later this month :weirdsmiley:
Be really really really really careful removing the fuel pump assembly. The plastic "ears" will be brittle and do not react well to any pressure. Er...uhm...the "voice of expensive experience" is warning you.

Perhaps FJRay can give you pointers as to how he removed his from the '03. Trust me, it's TIGHT and it takes more than gentle encouragement.

Speaking of pointers - how tight? I'll have the bulkhead inserted, with Permatex, and an O-ring on each side of the tank wall.

Speaking of pointers - how tight? I'll have the bulkhead inserted, with Permatex, and an O-ring on each side of the tank wall.
I sealed mine the permatex, as well. There's no way to put a torque value on it. I just got mine tight but not so as to crush the O-ring out of place.....tighter than "finger tight".

Thanks everyone - Achieved a leak-free installation today. Getting the fuel pump out is tricky - almost gave up a couple times.

2796990970068701173S425x425Q85.jpg

Now that you've seen a picture of my hole - Here's the finished product:

I fitted a tonneau cover with Velcro to keep out water and crud

2568041170068701173S425x425Q85.jpg

Tank attached and connected.

2216491970068701173S425x425Q85.jpg

It drains completely to the main by gravity. Its a 3 gallon Tour Tank that I had already. I could upgrade to a 4 gallon with no modifications at all. The GIVI trunk clears perfectly.

More pictures here: https://good-times.webshots.com/album/56902...host=good-times.