Fuel Tank Capacity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeykash

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone has Experienced the following issue in FJR1300 - Gen 4 Fuel Tank.

I did top up my Tank to Full Capacity of 25 Liters and after riding about 210 Km
( 130miles ) the Fuel Bar Indicator Starts to Blink and Reserve Tank is Utalised and when i head to Petrol Station to Pump Petrol...its gets to full after Pumping 13 Liters Only, which is strange for me.
Fuel Gauge Bar Blinks mean, fuel tank is nearly going to be empty but in my case...its only half empty but fuel gauge is Blinking.
Any way to trouble shoot this ?

Thanks FJR Buddies

Jason

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240812_205035_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240812_205035_WhatsApp.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
FJRs typically hit "reserve" with something like 6 litres left in the tank. Often sooner if the bike is on the sidestand but will (eventually) correct itself when riding or on the centerstand. Possible that the float arm on the fuel pump assembly could be bent to more accurately reflect the true volume but you would be taking a chance of ruining it or making it worse.

If it is a new bike under warranty, I would talk to the dealer. Shouldn't show empty when half full. I always reset one of the trip odometers and the average fuel consumption meter after each fillup. I don't like to depend 100% on the fuel gauge. (I can usually count on at least 100 km range after it shows "empty" as long as I am not riding aggressively.

Hi Kean.
Thanks for sharing.
The FJR is 2006 Model.
I just bought it in resale market on 3rd July 2024.
Initially when i pump full tank it shows me 19 to 20 Liters of Fuel, i am facing this issue only Recently, abt 2 weeks ago.

Hi Kean.
Thanks for sharing.
The FJR is 2006 Model.
I just bought it in resale market on 3rd July 2024.
Initially when i pump full tank it shows me 19 to 20 Liters of Fuel, i am facing this issue only Recently, abt 2 weeks ago.
06 was a gen 1 and that isn't a gen 1 dash so you must have meant 2016. I think it must be the sending unit or in the instrument cluster, both odd but not impossible.

06 was a gen 1 and that isn't a gen 1 dash so you must have meant 2016. I think it must be the sending unit or in the instrument cluster, both odd but not impossible.
'06 was the first year of Gen II (not Gen I). The photo in the post is Gen III+ (2013 or later).

Hi Kean.

Sorry, Its typo Error.
Yes its 2016 Gen 4.
My mechanic has confirmed that its the float arm is not seating in properly as recently he removed the fuel tank to carry out some work. Will be sending the bike to mehanic to get it done. Tks

'06 was the first year of Gen II (not Gen I). The photo in the post is Gen III+ (2013 or later).
Sorry, you're right. I'm used to the US models, we had the 05, 05.5 (which I sometimes think of as the 06 because at the time it wasn't clear if we would get an 06) and later in the year we got the 06.

I have a 2019 ES. Goes into reserve at about 200 miles fills up with between 5.2 and 5.4 gallons. The gauge bars are not linear. For the first gallon or so the bars don’t change. After 75 -90 miles from full the first bar starts.
Have fun

I have a 2019 ES. Goes into reserve at about 200 miles fills up with between 5.2 and 5.4 gallons. The gauge bars are not linear. For the first gallon or so the bars don’t change. After 75 -90 miles from full the first bar starts.
Have fun

Yamaha lists a 1.3 gallon reserve so that is how much fuel is left when the last bar starts blinking and the 'F' mileage counter starts. Allegedly. I find it to be fairly accurate but you have to be steady-state cruising. Aggressive riding with slowing and accelerating and even steadily going up or down a hill can cause the virtual reserve to hit early. Also, if your tank is low, don't turn on the ignition while the FJR is on the sidestand. That will cause a false low reading.

Now, don't get me going on the stupid 'Range' display. That information is pretty much utterly useless.

Now, don't get me going on the stupid 'Range' display. That information is pretty much utterly useless
I like the "count up" with the reserve. I know that with my bike, I can rely on 100+ kilometers as long as I'm not flogging it. 6 litres, or a touch more. All bikes will not be identical although any given bike is usually consistent.

I like the "count up" with the reserve. I know that with my bike, I can rely on 100+ kilometers as long as I'm not flogging it. 6 litres, or a touch more. All bikes will not be identical although any given bike is usually consistent.

Yup The GL1500 had a low fuel light that got brighter as it was more exposed within the tank. It was easy to look down and wonder how far back it first came on. The count-up of the FJR is most excellent.

While I too like the 'count up' display, an accurate 'Range', or 'Distance To Empty' display would be more useful. The 'Distance To Empty' display on my BMW R1200GSA is very accurate. But shape of the tank probably has something to do with that. FJR's flat tank on the bottom does not lend itself to accurate level readings when near empty. And as the owner of over a dozen FJRs over the years I can say that all FJRs within the Generation are pretty much identical in their readings.

I just realized you may not be familiar with the Gen III+? Besides the 'F' trip meter that begins at zero and counts up when virtual reserve is hit like Gen I and Gen II FJRs, the Gen III+ additionally has a 'Range' reading. It is useless. The virtual reserve and count up meter starts when the 'Range' shows somewhere between 15 and 25 miles of range left. Which means you still have about 1.3 gallons left. Which is a lot more than between 15 and 25 miles. After approximately 15 miles left of 'Range', it just shows 'Low'. I've had to train many a Gen III+ FJR rider to ignore the Range reading as the FJR will go 20-40 miles past what it shows.

I just realized you may not be familiar with the Gen III+? Besides the 'F' trip meter that begins at zero and counts up when virtual reserve is hit like Gen I and Gen II FJRs, the Gen III+ additionally has a 'Range' reading. It is useless. The virtual reserve and count up meter starts when the 'Range' shows somewhere between 15 and 25 miles of range left. Which means you still have about 1.3 gallons left. Which is a lot more than between 15 and 25 miles. After approximately 15 miles left of 'Range', it just shows 'Low'. I've had to train many a Gen III+ FJR rider to ignore the Range reading as the FJR will go 20-40 miles past what it shows.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the Gen III +. Range is too dependent on how you ride for that readout to be meaningful. If I am concerned about range, i will reset the average mpg meter when I get into flashing mode and ride accordingly with the expectation of 6 litres or something over 1.5 gallons. Gives me a pretty good idea of when I will be walking.

Range on the Gen 3 is essentially useless to anyone who isn't riding a dead flat road at a constant speed the whole time. As far as I can tell. it uses the instantaneous mpg to calculate the range, which updates every few seconds, and can vary wildly from one reading to the next. A glance at the display can give a totally misleading range.

I never use it, relying on the "miles since last fill" (I always zero Trip 1 every time I fill the tank), and the count-up miles after the display starts flashing.

Much more consistent.

Yes, I’ve found this to be true on my ‘23. And all this just causes me to doubt what is going on, so then I stop for fuel way before I need to. Again. : /

Relative to filling up, then loosing the top spot on the fuel gauge after just a few miles (like 20) - I was wondering (just after filling up today) if anyone had tried to fill while the bike was on the main stand? I always fill on the side stand, so maybe you can put more in the tank on the main? With more in at fill-up, then the gauge would stay completely full longer...

Relative to filling up, then loosing the top spot on the fuel gauge after just a few miles (like 20) - I was wondering (just after filling up today) if anyone had tried to fill while the bike was on the main stand? I always fill on the side stand, so maybe you can put more in the tank on the main? With more in at fill-up, then the gauge would stay completely full longer...

Side stand, centre stand makes no difference.

My experience too. If on the centre stand (very rare) I usually fill to the level plate in the filler, if on the side stand, my aim is to have the fuel level crossing the plate at its centre. No difference in range that I can detect.

For what it's worth, I did once consider trying to linearise the fuel gauge, I gave up when I found the sender bottoms out with (in my test case) about 5.5 litres (1.2 Imperial gallons, 1.5 US gallons), flashing starts at about 6 litres (1.3 Imperial gallons,1.6 US gallons) Link to my trials here.

[Edited to correct my figures and add "flashing" fuel volume.]

Last edited: