Fuel tank paint protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcsp

Reaction score
This is a bit off from the FJR topics, but I purchased a new Yamaha Apex snowmobile and it has a plastic cover over the actual fuel tank that is definately going to need some paint protection.

I've been thinking of using some clear 3M film but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Not a bit off FJR topics at all! Clicky for a thread that has some options.

Jeez, I guess I should pay attention better when I read; initially I thought you meant you needed it for your FJR, like you already had for your snowmobile...sorry. Maybe there's still good info there, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link Crewof1.

The tank cover is painted plastic, so a magnetic protector is not usable.

I contacted Tankslapper already about their product and they recommended the 3M film for my application.

The only thing about the clear film is how will it look if and when dirt would get in along the edges, as was mentioned in the link posted above.

A half or full vinyl tank cover would be ideal, just that on this tank cover, it would be difficult to attach it.

Maybe some carbon fiber decal material or a thin rubber tank pad w/ adhesive backing? Any motorcycle tank/knee pads available??

Last edited by a moderator: