Full Face Helmet Fitting!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Okay, Got an Italian AGV-Stealth Full-Face Helmet.

XXL

Never had a full-face or modular-face helmet, only 3/4 open face touring helmet....Yea I know, but I wasn't a forum member here at the time, now my wisdom cup has been filled a bit, to know I should be in a full face head gear.

This thing is snug; where it I have read it should be, but before I send it back or dump it on craigslist just wanted to get an opinion of where it should be riding.

Here goes....It's snug, if I pull it all the way onto the noggin, comfy inside the helmet is extremely light to me, and secure feeling. However when I flex my chin, my lips and chin have about 1/4 inch play...isn't that a bit tight?

It's a bit tight squeezing on, but it will come down and settles pretty good, but right on the chin.

Have I just been in the 3/4 world too long, or is this thing a bit too tight?

[SIZE=18pt]UPDATED TO A REVIEW THREAD OF THE AGV-STEALTH RAZOR[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean like smile? Or trying to 'kiss' the chinbar?

I haven't worn my Scorpion FF in a while but I remember not having much 'smile-room'. I could touch the cheek pads with my tongue if I stuck it out way to the side. Gross, I know.

You should not be able to get your lips or chin anywhere near the chinbar. If you can touch or even come close to it it's a bad fit and you need a different helmet.

If I've misread your post and don't understand: As long as the above is true and it's comfy for you, rock it.

Wanderer,

I've got a similar helmet (AGV GP-Tech), very light - that's a good thing, but quiet as well. XXL is a pretty large helmet, I wear a large AGV and have a 7 3/8" hat size. Be careful, some people think they need a larger helmet when they really don't. Remember, the interior padding will break in somewhat relieving some snugness over time. What I have been taught is that you want to make sure the helmet is snug, basically, you should be able to shake your head back and forth somewhat violently without having the helmet twist around upon your noggin. Facial structure matters as well because you don't want to touch the chin bar with your lips or chin or your nose to touch the fog guard, but you can get very close though. If the chin bar breaks upon impact I don't think it will matter what you're wearing. After all this, you just need to get what fits snug all the way around your noggin - try many brands to figure it out.

Best of luck - my two cents.

You mean like smile? Or trying to 'kiss' the chinbar?I haven't worn my Scorpion FF in a while but I remember not having much 'smile-room'. I could touch the cheek pads with my tongue if I stuck it out way to the side. Gross, I know.

You should not be able to get your lips or chin anywhere near the chinbar. If you can touch or even come close to it it's a bad fit and you need a different helmet.

If I've misread your post and don't understand: As long as the above is true and it's comfy for you, rock it.
You read exactly right, thanks for chimming in... Yea, it's a sqeeze to get over ears, but settles good, but I definitely can pucker and kiss the chinbar...my fear not being an expert; is that if I go down in a minor slide or get-off, and hit face first or just roll, the chinbar will stay in tact, helmet do it's job and my jawbone will be broke...not a physicist, but that's what I think will happen if the chinbar is within kissing/pucker range...???

Your description sounds about right to me. This is how my shoei fits. As stated the tightness will go away as the pads "fit" to your head. Break in period if you will. Last thing you want is your head rolling around in your helmet like a bobble head.

Point taken, so close to mouth and chin, not sure how much break in room would add. I'm gonna do some fittings again around some shops and see if it's worth/feasable trying to get some break-in room.

This helmet is awesome looking...hate getting something this darn good looking and not be perfect fit.

I've heard that putting on a helmet should be like a "birthing experience". Bit uncomfortable going on and off but should be snug but comfortable when on. Move the hemet around and the skin on you head should move too. Any pressure points will be painful over a number of hours. I doubt that you should be able to chew gun in a helmet. Helmets will only get looser with time so best to start with snug.

I doubt that you should be able to chew :assassin: gun :assassin: in a helmet. Helmets will only get looser with time so best to start with snug.
Hey, not suicidal yet!! :p

Anyways thanks, that is good stuff. I am going to have to put some miles on this one. 15k miles with 3/4 shield open face, it's gonna take some getting use to a closed-faced. I put it on a couple more times, adjusted a bit. Head is not cringing. Measured my dome several times, came up with 23 3/4 inches...giving 24 inches to be safe and that is just about in all helmet size standards - a L-XL, and this is a XXL, so, just gotta get use to it...miles and miles will tell.

The main thing is how does it fit on your head? Is it too tight? Pressure points anywhere? Does it hurt? If not, you're probly good to go, IMHO. ;)

You could have a funky shaped head, not to be mean or anything but, your head could be a long oval and you have a round helmet, etc. Arai spells this out real well on their website, AraiAmericas.com.

I totally agree with everything posted above about fitment of the head portion, but I can't stress enough: If you can touch the chinbar with your lips or chin, you shouldn't wear it! It's entirely possible to get a great fitting helmet, but the chinbar be too close due to the external shape of the shell. I know a guy over on ST.N that had to pawn both a new Schuberth C1 and a Caberg Solo for these same reasons.

Just ask yourself what ultimately will happen if you smack the road chinbar first? The helmet WILL rotate (chin to chest axis), even just a little, and your chin is gonna impact the inside of the chinbar, significantly lessening the effectiveness of the whole thing. A backward force on your chin will seriously **** you up. Ask me how I know.

I'd suggest you try on a bunch of other brands and see the chinbar to lips ratio on those...Unless you have a 'Leno chin' some of them will be much further away. I can't even begin to touch my chinbar with my chin, lips, or tongue.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually SEEN then fit of this helmet/rider combo, so its all internet speculation. Pics, maybe?

I've always worn full-face helmets and as mentioned in your other helmet thread, I've had the opportunity to crash test more than a few during my racing (and street riding) days. I've read an awful lot of articles on the subject of helmet fit over the last few decades, and they've all said the exact same things. Primary criteria; The cheek pads should fit snugly to your cheeks. With the helmet on your head and the visor open and you looking in a mirror, move the helmet gently side to side and watch your cheeks...they should move with the helmet. If they don't, it's too loose. Next, with the helmet on and fastened securely, grab the helmet at the back and try to roll it forward off your head. If you can pull it off while it's fastened...DEFINATELY too big! As others have already mentioned, the padding will break in over time, so it's better to start off with a helmet that's very snug, but not uncomfortable. If it moves around much on your head, it can't do its job. If it's too tight it will be uncomfortable or start to give you a headache because of pressure points. Nowhere have I ever heard any mention (before this thread) of distance from your lips to the chinbar being a concern, unless of course it's just plain uncomfortable for you. In my all too numerous asphalt surfing excursions (including one where I slid in a "flying superman" position face down and destroyed the face shield), I have never found this to be an issue either. If the cheek pads are snug enough, they should limit the movement of the chinbar towards your face. Google "fitting motorcycle helmet" and read as many of the hits as you can stand. I don't think you'll find a single one that mentions distance from your lips to the chinbar being a factor. It should be tight going on and off, snug but comfortable once on your head. You just need to get used to it since it's a new thing for you. Once you do, you won't even give it a second thought.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized the other recent helmet thread was somebody else's, not yours. But my reply remains the same.

Google "fitting motorcycle helmet" and read as many of the hits as you can stand. I don't think you'll find a single one that mentions distance from your lips to the chinbar being a factor. It should be tight going on and off, snug but comfortable once on your head. You just need to get used to it since it's a new thing for you. Once you do, you won't even give it a second thought.

That's it right there. Done plenty of reading and as you say, no one in countless reviews ever mentions chin comfort distance. Think I am going to wear it during commute a week and see if it starts to budge. It's an awesome lid;

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Produ...elmet_Black.jpg

I notice, I think, that nobody has mentioned removing the cheek pads and trying the helmet on. I have found that with the cheek pads in, you get a false feeling of fit and comfort. Try removing them and trying the helmet on. Does it fit the shape and circumference of your head snugly but comfortably. I stress the comfortable part. Remember you will be wearing it for hours at a time.

Next, try different sizes of cheek pads. Most manufacturers offer them in different thicknesses. As stated before, they should be snug. Just understand that the cheek pads are the only adjustable feature of your helmet. How it fits around the top of your head and how it sits on top of your head will not change and cannot be changed.

Pull the cheek pads and make sure it fits first. Then adjust.

Just my 2 cents from some expensive mistakes.

Mark

I think the distance from lips to chin bar is alll to do with what shape head you have , Some of us have Shoei some Arai etc etc . Each manufactures helmet will fit differently.

I wanted a Shoei as my new lid but found the chin bar was to high up on my chin, my nose almost hit the visor etc etc. So now I have an Arai whicj=h fits like a glove.

Best to try em all on and find what sort of head you have .

As far as being tight I have been told that when you have the helmet on and you try to turn it side to side the skin on the forehead should try to move with the lid.

I think the distance from lips to chin bar is alll to do with what shape head you have , Some of us have Shoei some Arai etc etc . Each manufactures helmet will fit differently.
I wanted a Shoei as my new lid but found the chin bar was to high up on my chin, my nose almost hit the visor etc etc. So now I have an Arai whicj=h fits like a glove.

As far as being tight I have been told that when you have the helmet on and you try to turn it side to side the skin on the forehead should try to move with the lid.
I found the same thing when I tried on the Arai and Shoei. The Arai was uncomfortable and did not fit well at all. The Shoei felt nice and fit well. I have a friend that was oppoiste. Can't stand a Shoei. Loves his Arai.

I think that is the single best piece of advice one can give or accept when it comes to helmets.

My first helmet was a M Shoei which I shared with my son. Big mistake. It fit me snug and started breaking in real nice. Then he wore it and stretched it out (i.e., compacted the pads) to fit his face. From then on it was just a little loose on me which bothered me. I now use it for karting.

My next one was a M Shoei which I never allowed anyone else to wear. It broke into my head and I used it for 10 years.

Then, when I got the FJR I figured I had to have a new helmet to go with it. The shop had on sale a L Arai which fit me snug and I loved the graphics (squid graphics on an AARP member - love it). I was concerned that the Arai might be too big since it was an L when I had always gotten M's in the Shoei. After the Arai broke in and felt like a glove, I went back and tried on my last Shoei and the Shoei felt loose!

The bottom line is to try on different sizes and manufacturors to find what works best for you. I do not think I would ever get a mail order helmet since I cannot try them on.

Okay....Taking One for The Team

Gonna Wear this AGV on the noggin and track progress through this thread.

Gotta be many that toil through this experience as I have scoured the web to read the same traumatic experience of helmet wearing/shopping and preferences.

It's all common sense many may say-however when you don't know-don't wanna speculate-don't wanna loose out--gotta try. Many have wrote that this particular brand and other high-end helmets are more snug for protection than for comfort; comfort comes from settling. I'll find out...and interested parties will to.

Day 1..

AGV-Stealth Razor (Black/Silver) Awesome graphic paint job. Looks cool.

My measured head size 23 3/4 inches.. by many sizing charts that's a L-XL helmet. This one is an XXL

Initially it was: "as one so aptly put it" a birthing experience putting the thing on, right out of the box.

Did that several times as I posted for opinions on the forum.

Wore it during the commute this morning.

Now truthfully, I don't wear earplugs, and recently just started wearing earbuds for music. I say this because it's never been a real issue of having to deal with disturbing noise from my 3/4 open face helmet unless going 90+mph.

Observation:

++Helmet settled better on head this morning, noticed that little 1-2 cm of more room for mouth/chin. Had to wiggle a bit to get ears settled in. Was checking for uncomfortable pressure points and sneaky head aches...20min ride, non appeared. This Saturday a ride to the rally and all day sight riding will reveal those things if they are gonna be there.

--Violent wind rushing over@55mph; never experienced this before unless I was rolling 90mph +, then I would duck behind the shield to get some quiet; you know lay on the tank a bit and pretend it was a crotch rocket.

With the AGV; this wind noise was very noticable; particularly because; it wasn't a previous issue. I was not looking for it. I would read where people talked about it, but never really could relate to what the true issue was; I totally understand now....HOW DOES THE NON_WINDSHIELD GUYS RIDE...Oh yea...ear plugs.

++With previous lid, if I raised the shield on the FJR to create a quiet pocket, no go...the buffeting was unbearable-unstable as though someone was pushing my head foward..But with the AGV , I could raise the shield all the way up and no buffeting, just a quiet pocket of riding at 90mph, No violent wind, No pushing from behind, No instability.

++Vision blindspot checks were good as well. The AGV did not impede it at all, slight head turns to check blind spot. although I have small blindspot mirrors mounted within the regular mirrors on each side.

Initial summation: These helmets are lower ends superior quality for the racing head gear that AGV makes. I suppose that they design these for the guys who lay on the tank and roll the throttle. Not really for a cruising around in helmet.

Gonna try the earbuds tonight. I speculate; and of course this may change over a couple weeks, that another helmet will be gotten as well. Such as MC are created for different types of riding experiences, I think helmets share that same philosphy. You can make a 'Busa' into some type of touring bike, if you want to suffer the sitting agony that long, but can't modify a helmet from it's true intended purpose/form.

Thanks for letting me share.

I do one additional test with modulars. I have one of my son's ( Early 20's and strong) push the chin area in hard with my head against a firm outer wall, to see what happens with compression. My Nolan 102 , the helmet moves with my head back. My HJC sys-Max I the front will compress to my chin. The helmet is retired , but it was an interesting test I do now, as I want good jaw protection too.

Okay, this thing has got me thinking and maybe just too much. But here goes!

Took an extended ride during the commute home, around the 610 to 290, to get some time in and evaluate the AGV helmet.

Rode with earbuds. Surprisingly they did not keep the helmet from going onto the noggin.

Even with the music on, the road noise was there. Raised the shield on the FJR and the cockpit quietness was there, man this helmet is stable at high speeds.

Cheek pads are not too tight; just snug. No headaches, or painful discomfort. Chin resting at chin bar as back of head is resting inside the padding inside.

That little tail on top, has to be the reason this helmet does so well in stopping the buffeting. The previous gear was smooth round, and buffeted like crazy with windshield up.

I am thinking as my chin is right upon the chin bar. The entire premise of a helmet being snug and fit is to keep from secondary impact during a crash. If you have total compression around the head, and 3-6cm of room at the chin, then you do not have

full compression. The helmet will move because there is room for it to move.

In a hit, face first, head first, back first or side first-you cannot have any space to allow the force of your body weight flying through the air to create secondary impact once the helmet stops.

So, if you have space at the chin bar, that space will create speed for you head to smash up against it, causing more damage.

As I learned in class years ago, the human jaw muscles when flexed are extremely powerful, and when any crash is imminent then the body is going to prepare itself for the impact. The closer the chin is to the chin bar the less force will be generated to cause damage inside the helmet.

In all reports, they say that the head should not be moving inside of the helmet, should move as a second layer of skin. If a person has 1 inch of space, he is going to have room for his head to move....can't go against physics.

I will be calling AGV tomorrow to clarify my thoughts with them.