full suit water proff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorkler

Ave U !!!!
Reaction score
checked out alpinestar 360 drystar .someone left a review that is not waterproff. any ideas ladies and gents and i dont want to spend 700 bucks for it . ..................... thanks zorkler

Last edited by a moderator:
checked out alpinestar 360 drystar .someone left a review that is not waterproff. any ideas ladies and gents and i dont want to spend 700 bucks for it . ..................... thanks zorkler
You can buy these all day long for $499 if you shop around...

I think this is the suit that Drew has? I've looked at it a couple times.

Don't know if it's water proof or not, maybe someone else can chime in it's on my short list if I go with a one piece. Probably should just get a stitch though.

You can buy these all day long for $499 if you shop around...

I think this is the suit that Drew has? I've looked at it a couple times.

Don't know if it's water proof or not, maybe someone else can chime in it's on my short list if I go with a one piece. Probably should just get a stitch though.
Aerostich Roadcrafter is not waterproof.

PTP

sandhillspowersports.com

sale price on the item: 360 Drystar Oversuits is $412.46.

MSRP is: $549.95.

It is advertised as a full on rain suit.

I've been looking at it. Know one guy that likes his.

Even if it is not as nice as the stitch, only about half the price.

Remember that a waterproof suit is waterproof in both directions. Unless it uses something like the Goretex linings it will keep as much moisture in as it keeps out. Try a PVC style rain suit in the summer some time and you'll understand what I'm trying to describe.

where was i? i just saw opt8low's avatar!

I really like my Tourmaster Elite rainsuit to put on over my gear. It has kept me dry in heavy rains on the highway. And If I remember correctly it was right/over at $100.

Aerostich Roadcrafter is not waterproof.

Mine has sure kept me dry in the rainstorms I have rode in......

Dana

Everyone that I know that owns a Roadcrafter has complained that they leak, that was the only reason I didn't go that direction with new gear this year. The complaint I hear repeatedly is the zipper at the crotch leaks and the water wicks through the clothes and really kills the core temperature.

Just to make sure I wasn't wrong in saying that they're not guaranteed as waterproof, I checked the Aerostich webpage...low an behold the second owner review. Third review says, "bone dry"...go figure?

PTP

The areostich like all other "waterpoof" textile suits should be cleaned & @ the same time "rewaterproofed"....probably once a year....that's why if you look in their catalog it shows lots of washing & rewaterproofing products.....I've used their products on other manufactures suits & have never had a problem....it's maintance....you know like what you should do to your bike....

I had heard the same thing about the crotch area also and when I was up there trying on some suits I ran into a gentleman that was there ordering his 7th or 8th suit and I mentioned this to him. He said the way to not have that problem was to fold the suit up in that area. Sort of grad the fabric and fold it over itself. He said that you get rid of the places for the water to puddle. Has worked for me so far.....

just my .02 cents

Dana

thanks to all looks like theres not many options

My last jacket pants combo, Cycloak GT jacket and pants, are 100% waterproof. In five years of use and many long days in the rain, I never got wet...period. I took them as far north as the Yukon Territory and as far south as Key West. I never washed the garments or sprayed them with any chemicals. They got washed by being rained on. The only reason I'm replacing them is they're 5 years old, and I want new gear, and I wanted something that offers a little more protection. They are still 100% waterproof to this day.

If you do a search on the 'net for Cycloak GT jacket or pants you will find many good reviews and user comments. Search for different vendors, lots of places sell this gear.

Jacket https://www.helmetharbor.com/streetclothing...oak/opening.htm

Pants https://www.helmetharbor.com/estore/product...ycloak+GT+Pants

Now for the pros and cons...

It's not a rain suit...it's every day riding gear that is waterproof.

Very protective, but does not offer as much protection as Motoport or Aerostich, as good or better than any of the off the shelf stuff though. I hit the pavement once in my gear, the only damage sustained was about 1"of stitching gave way on my right hip when I hit the asphalt...my Arai helmet came out pretty well trashed. For reference on level of protection, it's a long story, but a friend hit the same thing I did in front of me and went to the emergency room and flew home...I rode the 2500 miles back home.

The jacket fits me perfectly(6-0 @ 190#), when cold and travelling I used my Gerbing electric liner, when cold and just riding in town the insulated liner for the jacket was fine. A big pro on the particular jacket is that the adjustment straps are independent on each side of the zipper...there is no strap to pull across in front of the zipper each time you put the jacket on.

The pants (bibs) area also very good, but the padding in knees wasn't positioned perfect for me and when it's hot out, the portion of the pants or bib makes your torso pretty warm since you actually have a double layer with the bib and the jacket. When its hot out I'd pull the zipper open from the hip down to the knee for ventilation. The leg zippers go from the feet all the way to the hips and can zipped/unzipped in either direction.

For the money I think the Cycloak gear is the best one can buy, less than $600 for the combo.

The key is Gortex or the same stuff with another trade name...it has to breathe both ways to be comfortable.

I've replaced this gear with Motoport and so far so good, 100% waterproof as advertised. Quite a bit more expensive but significantly more protective.

Good Luck.

PTP

My Alpinestar 360 Drystar suit is waterproof. I rode 650 miles from Eureaka CA to Seattle Wa in one day, rain all the way and I arrived dry except for my feet. Alpinestars SMX aren't waterproof. Rain was so hard that people were stopping and pulling over on the freeway. Also got stuck in a 3 mile traffic jam between Centrailia and Chehalis in the pouring rain. You guessed it, arrived dry.

I paid something like 380 with free shipping from HelmetHarbor.com. They didn't have it on their site, but I called and the owner hooked me up in a couple of days.

I paid about $60 for my Frogg Toggs and they have provided thousands of dry-arriving miles over 3 years. Do a search and you'll see similar responses.

I paid about $60 for my Frogg Toggs and they have provided thousands of dry-arriving miles over 3 years. Do a search and you'll see similar responses.
+1 on the Frog Toggs. They've kept me dry in monsoon type rains and fold up tight so they take up minimal space. Unlike the vinyl suits that I've tried, these things breathe pretty well.

Another +1 on Frogg Toggs. Mine have done me well in some serious rainstorms over the miles...

I really like my Tourmaster Elite rainsuit to put on over my gear. It has kept me dry in heavy rains on the highway. And If I remember correctly it was right/over at $100.
Just ordered the Tourmaster Elite II rainsuit for $63.74 here. Hope it will be lighter than my Yamaha rainsuit which is more suitable for winter time. That suit is hot in the summer. Also ordered the waterproof gloves here but they're on a 30 day back order.

Another +1 on Frogg Toggs. Mine have done me well in some serious rainstorms over the miles...
Frogg Toggs... worth their weight in toilet paper! That's a definite for sure!